Private Lessons bjj

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Greg Santana, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Greg Santana

Greg Santana White Belt

This November I will be In Traveling for my job to NYC after all and I will get the chance to take my 1st Private Bjj lesson

I am mainly doing it for the experience and for the fun and because I love bjj... It's cool im bringing the family with me, but the main reason for my thread is I thought it would be cool to hear some stories of people from their past experiences. For example

1.) Who did you take the private lesson from?

2.) How was the experience? and would you do it all over again?

3.) Who would be your top 3 guys in which you could train with or ask for help to better your game

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

For a period of a year and a half I took 3x weekly private lessons with one of my coaches Brad Jackson. I have taken quite a few lessons with some other guys as well. In my opinion, one lesson wont do very much to help your game other than get a good solid couple of moves, some useful(instant) feedback on how you are performing the techniques and some cool rolls.

If you stay with an instructor and take many private lessons over a longer period of time, you begin to learn each other. You start to see how everything is organized into their system of jiu jitsu and he/she learns how to teach you best.

I am taking a few privates with Romulo in the next few days and I am mainly doing it for a cool experience just as you described. Ill pick up a few cool things for sure (how could i not???), but game changing/molding takes a lot of time. Privates open up doors though. Maybe ill pick up an invite to a training session in the future or just be able to say hi and have a conversation when we cross paths.

3. Greg Santana

Greg Santana White Belt

Romulo wow man that is awesome! he's a badass

4. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

I have 7 with Roger in december too. :D

I literally feel like a teenage girl at a beatles concert in the 1960s every time i think about it. please see attached video. (fast forward to 55 seconds to see how excited i am)

5. Greg Santana

Greg Santana White Belt

Damnnnnn Roger Gracie thats incredible! do you live in England or flying out there?