private bjj lessons in the south jersey area, any interest?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by brollikk, Oct 31, 2010.

1. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

So I've been throwing some ideas around lately in terms of teaching bjj part time. But one thing I was curious about was the interest in private 1 on 1 lessons in bjj.

I currently am a purple belt (been training for 7 years) in bjj and was curious if there was anyone interested in the South Jersey area who would be interested in getting taught private lessons?

I realize that there is a lot of competition in terms of schools and location, so the way I figured I could do this is to make a deal that is hard to beat:

I will give an hour of instruction for FREE. And then, if you are still interested in future lessons just 10$ an hour.

Anyways, this is directed towards both the people who feel like they need more training time/partners but just can't get it currently, or those people who are somewhat interested in bjj but don't want to commit to a school contract.

Please send me a private message if there is any interest!

2. flikerstance

flikerstance floridaman Double Yellow Card

that's not a bad price at all cant beat 10 bucks.

3. lvad48

lvad48 Orange Belt

Any chance of relocating to the U.K, if i could find a teacher like that i'd bite his hand off

4. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

10 bucks is almost impossible to beat.

5. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

Wow, I would definitely jump on that just to have you as a competent drill partner for $10/hour. I do a lot of privates and...yeah, thats a steal.

If you are ever out in Seattle area, please PM. Otherwise, hope you are able to get some good local students b/c thats an awesome deal.

6. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

heh, that is exactly what I was hoping people would think.

7. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

I train in South Jersey, so obvious questions...

(1) Who is your purple belt under?
    (2) Why so cheap?
    (3) Where would lessons be at?

8. ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้ ส้้้้้้้้&#3

I'm in the same area.. I'll do it for 9.75 .................

haha

9. UFile

UFile Purple Belt

It's Jersey... Too good to be true.

10. akharon

akharon Blue Belt

While I can't say I'm interested due to location, there would be a couple details that if I were there that might swing my vote. How big are you? What do you consider to be your strong points? What style of BJJ do you have? Are there any spots in your game that you'll admit you're not quite strong enough to teach on?

While I'm a full belt below you (and then some likely, as I got my blue in May), getting points on a controlling top game would be different if you were 5'6" & 130, vs a 6'4" 230 guy. Not so say that big guys can't be good from the top, but I can tell a big difference when I have a higher end 160lb purple on top of me vs an almost blue 250lb guy, and I'll pick up a lot more if I can discern whether it's weight of the body that's holding me down, or weight of the positioning.

I wouldn't worry about bragging about any competition stuff, personally I don't care much about that if you're a legit purple (or whatever the guy claims to be). It's more about your communication skills and teaching ability. Last, just out of curiosity, $10 isn't much, especially in an urban area, so what are you looking to get out of these privates?

11. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

I walk around at around 160 lbs, and am 5' 7". My strong points definitely would be sweeps and passing. In terms of areas of weakness, I would say certain submission combinations I can not do as well as or with as much finesses as say a black belt.

But yeah, you bring up a pretty good point. And to answer your question about the money, I am only doing this to "test the waters" about teaching private lessons part time. I understand that there are black belts around the area and feel like until I am better known I have to price very aggressively to give people incentive to at least give me a chance.

12. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

For $10/hour, it won't take very long before you get sick of the random dudes who don't take training seriously wasting your time.

13. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

It's obviously a great deal but why are you undervaluing your service so much? That's the part that would make me skeptical.

10 bucks an hour (especially for something that's as sporadic as a private lesson) is hardly worth anyone's time. You've spent 7 years working to get to the level you're at yet you would make about the same as someone working at McDonalds (who has consistent work by the way). Something isn't adding up.

14. fittafeis

fittafeis Blue Belt

15. MyBodyHurts

MyBodyHurts Blue Belt

Brollick wrote me a private message after my original post answering my questions, so I assume he's legit.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

Thank you for posting to clarify this with the other people here.

Yes the price is low, but like I said I am just testing the waters here to see what the demand would be like (and would like to help people out who might never have been exposed to jiu jitsu or private instruction before). Again, if the demand is too high then I will charge more accordingly, and if I decided to invest more time into teaching, I will venture into teaching more than one person at a time.

17. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

I understand where you are coming from, and believe that this is very possible. But to learn for myself how many people exactly would want to take privates, as well as get legitimate feedback, I am willing to do it.

You yourself are a purple belt from what I've read on the boards (correct me if I am wrong). Do you also teach?

18. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I am a blue belt. I have been doing BJJ for about the same amount of time as you. I have also taught before, but I don't teach right now.

The biggest problem with offering cut rate training is that there is nothing to dissuade uncommitted types from showing up and wasting time. Of course, you also attract committed types too, but they get overwhelmed by the first category.

People who are unwilling to pay a higher rate for privates are also generally the types who will just stop training randomly for silly reasons. They aren't typically that invested in it. You might get a few dedicated guys, but you are going to have to weed them out from all the random people wasting your time.

I would recommend that you prescreen people beforehand and get some kind of agreement with them at least to commit to a certain length and frequency of training. The problem is that again the types of people who take it that seriously will probably already be training somewhere else. You might be able to find some serious students who want to supplement on the side though if you look hard enough.

Without any kind of prescreening though, you're going to get a lot of people who just want to "learn a few moves" and then probably won't return. Regular schools get a lot of these guys too, but they usually balk at the higher prices and don't even bother signing up if they don't intend to make a real commitment. While there's nothing wrong with teaching new guys, the most fulfilling part of teaching is helping someone develop to the point where they can actually use the stuff you taught them.

19. brollikk

brollikk Green Belt

I see what you are saying. I feel like I would have much more leverage in terms of having a contract type deal if I actually owned or taught at an established academy. In terms of people flaking out or whatever, I totally understand that will happen and yes it will definitely be disappointing as an instructor.

And in terms of seeing a student through from start to finish (no training to black belt), I probably would be more interested in doing that if I owned an academy and was the head instructor. For now, if that does happen then I would definitely be extremely glad, but if it doesn't, it is not as big of a deal to me.

20. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Ken has competed a lot locally, if you google his name it will pop up Im sure. 10 dollars is a great deal. His wrestling is stronger than your average BJJ guy, his passing is strong, and hes got a good butterfly/open/ half butterfly guard thing. Just wanted to post to vouch for him since some people are skeptical.