Prime vs Prime: Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Roy Jones Jr @160

I would like to see what would happen to young Roy when Hagler didn't get discouraged and kept on coming after him with bad intentions. I'm not saying I'd pick Hagler, but I think he has a much better chance than people give him.

RJJ always seemed like a bit of a front runner to me and Hagler would test not only his chin but his fortitude.

If we are talking primes, Hagler (see late 70s to early 80s) peobably wins. He out works him. Hagler is probably not getting stopped, and Roy will have to fight at a pace he won't like.

If we are talking primes, Hagler (see late 70s to early 80s) peobably wins. He out works him. Hagler is probably not getting stopped, and Roy will have to fight at a pace he won't like.

That is if Hagler manages to find Roy, to corner Roy, to trap Roy... Which he wouldn't be able to.

Roy beats him easily. Hagler lost to the speed of SRL, who hadn't fought in a couple years.

Hagler gave up rounds trying to outbox Sugar Ray Sugar Ray's way. The later rounds was Hagler being Hagler and he won those.

My head says Roy but my heart wants Hagler. "Destruction and Destroy" all the way. Roy clowned a lot of people but people here make it seem like he just smoked everyone in one round. Paz hung in with him for 6 rounds.

Last edited:
i think jones in his prime was just way too fast.

in fact, i can't think of a MW in history who could handle his speed and power.

Until we learned he had a glass jaw when he does get hit. So no, Hagler wins this
But that was never something we saw in his prime. Roy didn't start getting wrecked by every punch until he was past his best.

Sorry who said Roy beats everyone under HW? Have yall not heard of Ezzard Charles? Marciano? Plenty of sub 200lb give Roy trouble smh
I'd agree you have some fights there, but prime RJJ has got to be the best athlete we saw at MW/SMW. And he had speed and power to go with great boxing abilities. He was really something. I'd take him over Hagler clear.

Until we learned he had a glass jaw when he does get hit. So no, Hagler wins this
LOL at your AV
466273.jpg

But that was never something we saw in his prime. Roy didn't start getting wrecked by every punch until he was past his best.

Are chins subject to father time?

I can't recall RJJ getting caught clean by a big puncher until he was and was floored.

In a 15 rounder, I think Hagler swears him down with a late ko/stoppage. In a 12, I like Jones to win a unanimous decision by using flashy combos in a competitive fight.

Because they didn't land clean. You don't develop a glass jaw from one KO

Because they didn't land clean. You don't develop a glass jaw from one KO
He got hit here in there in some fights. He was always pretty durable until that Tarver fight. After that, he was a guy who got KO'd basically by every touch to the head.

He got hit here in there in some fights. He was always pretty durable until that Tarver fight. After that, he was a guy who got KO'd basically by every touch to the head.

Nah, I rewatched his fights and he simply wasn't hit clean

Nah, I rewatched his fights and he simply wasn't hit clean
eh, he ate some punches here and there in the 50 fights he had prior to Tarver. I remember Gonzalez getting some through the guard. McCallum and Toney both got some shots in. I saw him take better shots than the punches Green put him on queer street with.

eh, he ate some punches here and there in the 50 fights he had prior to Tarver. I remember Gonzalez getting some through the guard. McCallum and Toney both got some shots in. I saw him take better shots than the punches Green put him on queer street with.

Well anyway, there is no evidence that he could withstand the damage inflicted by the relentless Hagler. Seems like a nightmarish match-up for him.

Well anyway, there is no evidence that he could withstand the damage inflicted by the relentless Hagler. Seems like a nightmarish match-up for him.
Not sure how I forgot the first Tarver fight too. He took a lot of good shots from Tarver. Then look at what happened in the next and then vs Johnson.

Back