Prime Silva vs Gastelum

It all depends on which Silva shows up. Since I doubt Kelvin would have the patience to slow the pace and frustrate Silva, I think he would get knocked out.

Wow I was thinking this was a joke or something.

No one is unbeatable and will show moments where they almost get beat or get hurt......so yes that is correct. But, these guys look pretty dam close. Also, the whole looks "unbeatable" idea isn't about being perfect and showing no weaknesses cause that's not realistic. More about being very confident that even in the toughest circumstances the fighter will still win. No matter what kind of trouble Andy or Jones or Gsp were in, you always were confident they would still win. I think unbeatable is just way a of saying very tough to beat.

On the topic of his competition. I really like what you did there....you took Andy's weaker opponents and matched up up with the best MWs today lol. Smooth. But back to reality, lets match up the best vs the best. Romero, Rockhold, Izzy, Jacare, Weidman, and Whitaker vs Rich, Hendo, Vitor, Sonnen, Maia. None of those is any better than the other. They're top level MWs, and if they fought each other they would likely end up even against each other. Anyone from Andy's era is capable of beating the top Mws of today.

Again, Bisping and Vitor both KO'd Rockhold. Rockhold also beat Bisping, so it shows that things could be even. Andy fought a competitive fight with Izzy at 43, imagine how that fight would do 8 years ago.

As most people on the thread have already indicated, even on best of the best terms, today is stronger overall and I agree. Maia is a WW, Rich was a pioneer but got KO'd by Cung Le and barely beat a faded Wand, prime Hendo was a very good win, Sonnen monstered Andy for the most part but Andy pulled it out. At any rate, Andy also had a LOT of gimme fights which I pointed out and that wouldn't happen today. There's no chance the current MW champ faces a Travis Lutter or Thales Leites or Patrick Cote or a Nate Marquardt-level fighter.

Andy never looked unbeatable to me because it was pretty clear he'd struggle when he faced a strong wrestler. He got taken down often in his pre-UFC days including by fighters much smaller like Chonan, Hendo got him down, Lutter got him down, Chael held him down for quite a long time and he was the strongest wrestler who Andy faced. GSP was never threatened at all post-Serra and all the way until Hendricks., save from a Condit knockdown.

When Anderson was Adesanya's age, he was getting submitted by little asian dudes...

Prime Silva was the best MMA striker (not strictly stand up but MMA stand up) ever and he had a tremendous chin.

He'd TKO or hurt and submit Kelvin within 2rds.

Prime Anderson without roids would be a can

I believe Silva has always been on steroids and is a malnourished lhw

Prime Anderson destroyed wrestlers who couldn't feint and who overextended on their punches, letting Anderson counter them with ease since he could see everything coming. Chris Weidman fought him differently by being more fundamentally sound with his striking, using feints and never overextending, usually behind his jab. We saw the outcome. Anderson lost to Weidman not because he was getting old, but because Weidman fought too intelligently for him.

Gastelum feints at least as much as The Chris and is an even better striker overall, though when desperate he will overextend and leave himself open to being countered more. We saw this against Adesanya, but again this is after Adesanya made him desperate (also his footwork/movement would sometimes get him out of trouble anyway). He doesn't fight behind his jab as much as Weidman, but I still don't like Anderson's chances here.

Lol if you think todays MW division is tougher than the past
The top 5 of today are certainly all time great.
Robert Whittaker
Yoel Romero
Israel Adesanya
Kelvin Gastelum
Ronaldo Souza
Chris Weidman

Got dropped by Chael sonnen multiple times
sonnen100.gif

CHAEL+DROPS+ANDERSON+UFC+117+GIF.gif

got KO'd by Chris weidman
8hnY.gif

chris-weidman-anderson-silva-knockout-gif.gif

mounted by Travis lutter
07-Anderson-Silva-vs-Travis-Lutter.gif

Fact don't care about your feeling

Your reaching to find bad Silva clips lead you to post Silva reversing Lutter from mount. LMAO.

Was this the UFC run where he was taken down and mounted by Travis Lutter or taken down repeatedly by Chael? He won every fight where he wasn't against a top grappler (except Hendo who also took him down, Hendo and Belfort are definitely great wins) but 185 was weak in this regard during his reign. And I'm not knocking his MW GOAT'ness, it's just that he looked unbeatable largely because of the weak competition at the time. Anyway, I do think he beats Gastelum because Gastelum is a tad undersized to be a powerful wrestler at 185.

The fights with lutter and chael he won and the level of competition is all subjective. I dont think they really hid Silva from guys did they?

Could Jordan's bulls take out the warriors today? Doubt it. Doesn't mean they weren't beating everyone's ass in the 90's

The fights with lutter and chael he won and the level of competition is all subjective. I dont think they really hid Silva from guys did they?

Could Jordan's bulls take out the warriors today? Doubt it. Doesn't mean they weren't beating everyone's ass in the 90's
Definitely agree that you can't compare years, I say that exact thing over and over again. I just don't think he looked unbeatable, most Fighters don't look unbeatable.

Back