Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

Uhm, that 'draw' with Mezger is one of the most blatant cases of judging corruption in the history of the sport. There is a reason they threw a fit after. Sakuraba lost that fight.

The Vitor fight is the strangest fight I have ever seen. Vitor spent the majority of the fight on his back with Saku throwing leg kicks from his feet. I already granted he has good leg kicks. I don't know if Sakuraba injured his leg(s) or something. But that fight does nothing to show versatility in striking.

These examples are not helping your case.
Ya dont know what you´re talkin´ about, Im afraid.

About the Mezger fight:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...de-ow-gp-mezger-those-infamous-6-lbs.3899881/

About the Vitor Gracie fight:

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

These 2 threads will make ya have a better understandin´of SAKU´s [diverse] striking.

Last edited:
Imo Maia would be favorite because he looked like a BJJ wizard vs recent competition.
Sakuraba was a great grappler vs the competition of the old age, when a kimura was still considered a great tool in MMA. The sport has evolved and Maia had his place in that evolution. No one knows how Saruraba would have fair.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but this is the end of this conversation.

To claim he dominated Igor or Mirko before the cut, and to say that Ryan and Braga are strikers is sufficient to show you are not capable of thinking straight.

I'm out.
For sure you´re out, lmao.and keep editin´ . while you´re "out"...

In time, read again: not dominatin´ Crocop.

You really have a very lousy knowledge, mate.
Ebenezer Braga started his career in Vale Tudo, transitioning from MT/KB. He then took on [Budokan] Luta Livre, and finally BJJ.

Hyan was basically a streetfighter in the streets of Brazil, I call him a striker coz his mindset was a brawler´s one.

Umm... Sakuraba from LHW and HW Hall of Famers. Saku beat Vitor, Rapamge... and even took prime CroCop down.

Maia couldn't hang at MW so he moved down to WW. How is this even a question?

PS Saku beat the Gracie family... en route to being the first man to beat Royce, who was Maia times 10 for his time.
Rampage was green and gave him a lot of trouble. Vitor was a great win however, close fight however and won only because Vitor got tired if I recall?

Prime Saku fought prime HW Igor and a heavily muscled surging Vitor Belfort

No further questions

Yes, he really is.

Maia is a significantly better grappler than Royce/Royler/Renzo, especially in an MMA context. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

At his peak, he was literally the best nogi grappler in the world at his weight (or top 3 at a bare minimum).

Royler, as great as he was on a technical front, would be giving up at least 30 pounds and probably closer to 40 pounds in a H2H matchup. Royce (all due respect to him), was usually seen as one of the more modestly talented of the brothers, let alone not world-class. Renzo was definitely a great competition grappler, but didn't translate it to MMA nearly as well as Maia has.

NAh

For sure you´re out, lmao.and keep editin´ . while you´re "out"...

In time, read again: not dominatin´ Crocop.

You really have a very lousy knowledge, mate.
Ebenezer Braga started his career in Vale Tudo, transitioning from MT/KB. He then took on [Budokan] Luta Livre, and finally BJJ.

Hyan was basically a streetfighter in the streets of Brazil, I call him a striker coz his mindset was a brawler´s one.

I rest my case.

Sakuraba dictates the pace, dictates where the fight takes place, and embarrasses Maia ala Vitor and Royce - he'd be looming over the butt-scooting Maia raining down kicks and stomps, ready to pounce on any mistake from Maia. On the feet, Saku is too fast, and everywhere else he'd be too strong and too smart to play an ADCC grappling match like some of you keep trying to visualize here. Maia is great, obviously, and I consider myself a longtime fan of his, but Saku has got this fight 10/10 for me.

Pay no attention to my av, I swear I am not biased.... nope.... not even a little

Last edited:
Imo Maia would be favorite because he looked like a BJJ wizard vs recent competition.
Sakuraba was a great grappler vs the competition of the old age, when a kimura was still considered a great tool in MMA. The sport has evolved and Maia had his place in that evolution. No one knows how Saruraba would have fair.
SAKU´s grappling can hardly be limited to his kimura, realistically...

Fixed fights exist everywhere in the world. By your logic we shouldn't trust any fight. Why is the US any different than Japan? If anything the US has a much longer history of fakery than Japan, on every possible level.
We're specifically talking about the fact that PRIDE was literally run by the Yakuza (translation: Japanese Mafia) their literal existence. We KNOW for a fact that the mafia DID fix fights in PRIDE to help hometown fighters win and stay relevant. Why wouldn't any regular person question whether an organization ran by the mafia didn't fix other fights when we already know they not only fixed fights but are run by the mafia.

You dont know what your talking about then

Saku in his prime was 184lbs with a little pudge on his love handles. His ENTIRE career aside from fighting the Gracies was vs much bigger fighters including Belfort, Silva, Crocop, Arona, Noguiera, Randleman, Rampage, Igor, etc. He sustained more damage over his career than any fighter I've seen.

The guy was literally brutalized over the course of his career.

Who did Aldo ever fight that was a top 5 fighter in a weight class or even 2 weigh tclasses above him except that one time he fought Mcgregor and got starched in 13 seconds and his two beat down suffered at the hands of Holloway? And lets be honest Aldo and Mcgregor both probably walk around at 170 so that fight doesn't really count as Aldo vs a bigger opponent
This is so painfully retarded it hurt me to read.. I mean ffs Aldo fought moicano who was WAY bigger than him LAST FUCKING WEEKEND. Now go delete your account you simp

We're specifically talking about the fact that PRIDE was literally run by the Yakuza (translation: Japanese Mafia) their literal existence. We KNOW for a fact that the mafia DID fix fights in PRIDE to help hometown fighters win and stay relevant. Why wouldn't any regular person question whether an organization ran by the mafia didn't fix other fights when we already know they not only fixed fights but are run by the mafia.

And the UFC was run by the Fertittas lol. Same thing different name.

Umm... Sakuraba from LHW and HW Hall of Famers. Saku beat Vitor, Rapamge... and even took prime CroCop down.

Maia couldn't hang at MW so he moved down to WW. How is this even a question?

PS Saku beat the Gracie family... en route to being the first man to beat Royce, who was Maia times 10 for his time.

There is nowhere at all that Royce Gracie can be compared with Damien Maia.

Back