Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

Are you actually trusting those fights? They were known to fix fights and pay certain fighters to lose, this has been proven. Also, how couldn't Maia not hang at MW when he managed to get a title shot in MW and WW as well.

To add to that the WW these days are huge. Woodley says he gets as big as 205lbs. GSP was 196lbs only a week or so out from fighting at MW. Heck some lightweights these days get near the 190+ mark. Guys like Weidman who Maia fought can get as big as 217. I'm sure guys like Romero could get that big as well.

Heck Rampages strategy back then seemed to be throw wild punches and throw and attempt slams, he seemed to be using no technique. To add to that I question whether a lot of those fights weren't fixed and for good reason. As we saw blatant fixes like Coleman pretending to get knee barred. Oh and Saku himself got a gift extra round against Guy Mezger, once Ken refused to have his fighter fight another round he clearly won Saku got a gift free trip to fight Royce Gracie

sakuarono_03.jpg

Yeah Saku fought a bunch of works and easy fights. SMH.

Overrated where? He´s actually underrated, deemed as a one-dimensional "pioneer".

Had very good leg kicks, a fair bit of power in his hands, a very good single leg, and a fantastic kimura.

I think people don't realize how woefully rudimentary he would look in today's game, even if he fought at WW.

Had very good leg kicks, a fair bit of power in his hands, a very good single leg, and a fantastic kimura.

I think people don't realize how woefully rudimentary he would look in today's game, even if he fought at WW.
What...are....ya...talkin´....about...

cruz.gif

I suggest ya have a deeper look at his game, feints and traps for instance. Much ahead of his time.
Ya dont submit someone like Ronin by havin´ a "woefully rudimentary game".

What...are....ya...talkin´....about...

View attachment 519749

I suggest ya have a deeper look at his game, feints and traps for instance. Much ahead of his time.
Ya dont submit someone like Ronin by havin´ a "woefully rudimentary game".

Look, I have been around and know a fair bit about the sport. If you think Sakuraba's set-ups would be even moderately effective in modern MMA, I think you are living in a dreamworld.

I wish BJ called out Saku back in the day

Look, I have been around and know a fair bit about the sport. If you think Sakuraba's set-ups would be even moderately effective in modern MMA, I think you are living in a dreamworld.
A skill set is always related to a Fight Configuration, and by extension, a Scoring Criteria..

This "analysis" ya´ve jus´dropped is a lazy one. In short, a cliché.

Watchin´ fights is one thing.
Understandin´ the evoliution of a fighter´s skill set within a Fight Configuration is a lil bit more complex, Im afraid.

In time, your assessment of SAKU`s striking:
"Had very good leg kicks, a fair bit of power in his hands"
shows that ya didnt [seriously] watch his fights..

Last edited:
Maia gets a hold of Saku and its pretty much over IMO

particularly if its in a cage environment

As much as Saku was a good well rounded grappler, Maia is way above him at this point in the game

Saku would have to decision him, he couldn't sub Maia, and I doubt he could TKO him, it would be a very difficult task. Even in prime, I don't think he could beat prime Maia

The Gracie Killer for sure. Maybe my memory is bad but I can’t remember Prime Saku ever in trouble of being submitted.

Saku would soccer kick Maia as he’s trying to salvage a takedown attempt.

The Gracie Killer for sure. Maybe my memory is bad but I can’t remember Prime Saku ever in trouble of being submitted.
against Goes, tight guillotine. (obviously Kimo)

Please tell us which fights exactly were fixed, besides the obvious Takada ones.
I don't know, never said I did know, but we all agree that fighters were paid to lose, fighters have acknowledged that steroids were encouraged to be used, and PRIDE was run by the Yakuza. It was important that the hometown fighters won some fights.

There's also the case which I already previously brought up where Guy Mezger beat Saku but another round was fabricated in order to give Saku another shot to win, this is another example that literally changed the course of history. What happens if instead of Saku fighting Royce it's Guy Mezger, would Saku ever be called the Gracie Hunter? I am interested in a response to this.

sakuraba destroyed the don of dons in the Gracies. Maia would be head stomped. Catch wrestling destroys BJJ

sakuarono_03.jpg

Yeah Saku fought a bunch of works and easy fights. SMH.
Did not say that at all, I was merely pointing out you can't trust his wins since we know that the Yakuza ran PRIDE and fixed fights. They're the Yakuza.

I don't know, never said I did know, but we all agree that fighters were paid to lose, fighters have acknowledged that steroids were encouraged to be used, and PRIDE was run by the Yakuza. It was important that the hometown fighters won some fights.

There's also the case which I already previously brought up where Guy Mezger beat Saku but another round was fabricated in order to give Saku another shot to win, this is another example that literally changed the course of history. What happens if instead of Saku fighting Royce it's Guy Mezger, would Saku ever be called the Gracie Hunter? I am interested in a response to this.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...de-ow-gp-mezger-those-infamous-6-lbs.3899881/

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-25-the-wild-wild-east.3886295/

lock2.gif

Back