Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

All good. Not everyone was around back then. He did get inducted in the UFC HOF though and they did mention that accomplishment a few times throughout the night. If memory serves me correctly he had to weigh in with change (or something to that effect) in his pockets in order to make the minimum weight, could be bullshit/urban legend though in order to add to Saku's GOATiness.
Don:
“SAKU put books in his pants to be able to weigh in for the UFC fight over there in Japan.”

“You get these guys, they bitch about somebody being one pound overweight,” Frye said. “Sakuraba and I, we both fought guys who were twice our body weight. And more than that, too. You’re talking real athletes, too.

Maia. Honestly, think Saku is overrated on these boards.

1509209398810.jpg

Sakuraba would beat Maia like he stole something.

So faking a take down and then missing a right hand that Belfort barely had to even try and dodge doesn't prove a thing.
Nah. It only proves that ya didnt watch the fight.

Sakuraba is one of my top 3 fighters of all time. But he is the most overrated fighter in history. I would seriously pick Aldo over him.

Umm... Sakuraba from LHW and HW Hall of Famers. Saku beat Vitor, Rapamge... and even took prime CroCop down.

Maia couldn't hang at MW so he moved down to WW. How is this even a question?

PS Saku beat the Gracie family... en route to being the first man to beat Royce, who was Maia times 10 for his time.
Are you actually trusting those fights? They were known to fix fights and pay certain fighters to lose, this has been proven. Also, how couldn't Maia not hang at MW when he managed to get a title shot in MW and WW as well.

To add to that the WW these days are huge. Woodley says he gets as big as 205lbs. GSP was 196lbs only a week or so out from fighting at MW. Heck some lightweights these days get near the 190+ mark. Guys like Weidman who Maia fought can get as big as 217. I'm sure guys like Romero could get that big as well.

Heck Rampages strategy back then seemed to be throw wild punches and throw and attempt slams, he seemed to be using no technique. To add to that I question whether a lot of those fights weren't fixed and for good reason. As we saw blatant fixes like Coleman pretending to get knee barred. Oh and Saku himself got a gift extra round against Guy Mezger, once Ken refused to have his fighter fight another round he clearly won Saku got a gift free trip to fight Royce Gracie

Jesus #1 in Pride with 10 minute rounds and no cage Saku hands down. Maia cant take him down and Saku would probably just low kick the shit out of him then out wrestle him and dominate on the ground.

UFC rules well Maia could get his back by jumping on his back against the cage.

Another it depends on the rules fantasy match.

Are you actually trusting those fights? They were known to fix fights and pay certain fighters to lose, this has been proven. Also, how couldn't Maia not hang at MW when he managed to get a title shot in MW and WW as well.

To add to that the WW these days are huge. Woodley says he gets as big as 205lbs. GSP was 196lbs only a week or so out from fighting at MW. Heck some lightweights these days get near the 190+ mark. Guys like Weidman who Maia fought can get as big as 217. I'm sure guys like Romero could get that big as well.

Heck Rampages strategy back then seemed to be throw wild punches and throw and attempt slams, he seemed to be using no technique. To add to that I question whether a lot of those fights weren't fixed and for good reason. As we saw blatant fixes like Coleman pretending to get knee barred. Oh and Saku himself got a gift extra round against Guy Mezger, once Ken refused to have his fighter fight another round he clearly won Saku got a gift free trip to fight Royce Gracie
Please tell us which fights exactly were fixed, besides the obvious Takada ones.

Sakuraba is one of my top 3 fighters of all time. But he is the most overrated fighter in history. I would seriously pick Aldo over him.
You dont know what your talking about then

Saku in his prime was 184lbs with a little pudge on his love handles. His ENTIRE career aside from fighting the Gracies was vs much bigger fighters including Belfort, Silva, Crocop, Arona, Noguiera, Randleman, Rampage, Igor, etc. He sustained more damage over his career than any fighter I've seen.

The guy was literally brutalized over the course of his career.

Who did Aldo ever fight that was a top 5 fighter in a weight class or even 2 weigh tclasses above him except that one time he fought Mcgregor and got starched in 13 seconds and his two beat down suffered at the hands of Holloway? And lets be honest Aldo and Mcgregor both probably walk around at 170 so that fight doesn't really count as Aldo vs a bigger opponent

Overrated where? He´s actually underrated, deemed as an one-dimensional "pioneer".

Last edited:
You dont know what your talking about then

Saku in his prime was 184lbs with a little pudge on his love handles. His ENTIRE career aside from fighting the Gracies was vs much bigger fighters including Belfort, Silva, Crocop, Arona, Noguiera, Randleman, Rampage, Igor, etc. He sustained more damage over his career than any fighter I've seen.

The guy was literally brutalized over the course of his career.

Who did Aldo ever fight that was a top 5 fighter in a weight class or even 2 weigh tclasses above him except that one time he fought Mcgregor and got starched in 13 seconds and his two beat down suffered at the hands of Holloway? And lets be honest Aldo and Mcgregor both probably walk around at 170 so that fight doesn't really count as Aldo vs a bigger opponent

I know everything you said. I followed Sakuraba's entire career. I still think Aldo would beat him.

Back