Prime Sakuraba vs Prime Maia

Saku is my hands down favorite of all time and I been watching mma since literally the day UFC started,but lets be real,Maia would smoke him.The transitions would be phenomenal though.

Maia. Fun fight.

Saku is my hands down favorite of all time and I been watching mma since literally the day UFC started,but lets be real,Maia would smoke him.The transitions would be phenomenal though.

I think you are wrong.

Might beat him but smoke him? Really

Maia all day everyday, outgrapples him size wise and hes probably better on the feet

Umm... Sakuraba fought LHW and HW Hall of Famers. Saku beat Vitor, Rapamge... and even took prime CroCop down.

Maia couldn't hang at MW so he moved down to WW. How is this even a question?

PS Saku beat the Gracie family... en route to being the first man to beat Royce, who was Maia times 10 for his time.

Last edited:
Sakuraba is a great grappler, but Maia is such a wizard when it comes to engaging in the ground...

Thats a fight i would love to see, but im leaning towards Maia. Maybe biased, being a BJJ guy myself.

I love maia and saku but to say maia would smoke saku is insane. Maia couldnt smoke masvidal or laflare but would smoke prime saku. Okay

Umm... Sakuraba from LHW and HW Hall of Famers. Saku beat Vitor, Rapamge... and even took prime CroCop down.

Maia couldn't hang at MW so he moved down to WW. How is this even a question?

PS Saku beat the Gracie family... en route to being the first man to beat Royce, who was Maia times 10 for his time.

You got some great points, but Maia lost most fights because he coudnt take it to where he was strong. Recently he was unable to take down Cody and Woodley and was completely shut down. But with a sakuraba willing to engage him on ground fight it becomes a entretaining idea.

You got some great points, but Maia lost most fights because he coudnt take it to where he was strong. Recently he was unable to take down Cody and Woodley and was completely shut down. But with a sakuraba willing to engage him on ground fight it becomes a entretaining idea.
Sakuraba went to the ground with the Gracies and beat them up. Maia is not better than Prime Undefeated Royce Gracie

Saku. Never fought in the UFC but Maia can't ever live down the AS fight where he became the MMA version of the Washington Generals. AS treated him like he was a harmless puppy and AS is not the god we thought he was at the time. If Saku is half as good as the Pride people say he is he wins.

I can't honestly answer a Saku vs anyone thread without being ridiculously biased. That being said Saku would Mongolian chop, cartwheel and baseball slide dropkick his way to victory and there wouldn't be a damn thing Maia could do about it.

Damn I've never seen Maia out grappled and in his prime his was world champion material. Has Saku ever faced anyone on that level?

HOWEVER; this is MMA and Pride rules is such a different format Saku really only ever struggled with the top strikers, fuck I dunno

Saku. Never fought in the UFC but Maia can't ever live down the AS fight where he became the MMA version of the Washington Generals. AS treated him like he was a harmless puppy and AS is not the god we thought he was at the time. If Saku is half as good as the Pride people say he is he wins.
Saku did in fact fight in the UFC and has a record of 1 win and 1 no contest both against the same opponent in the same night and the no contest was only because of an incompetency on Big John's part. He won a UFC tournament that night and that was before he had ever stepped foot in Pride.

Saku did in fact fight in the UFC and has a record of 1 win and 1 no contest both against the same opponent in the same night and the no contest was only because of an incompetency on Big John's part. He won a UFC tournament that night and that was before he had ever stepped foot in Pride.

My bad I stand corrected.

Saku did just fine in Royce's guard. Saku via tko cage or ring

My bad I stand corrected.
All good. Not everyone was around back then. He did get inducted in the UFC HOF though and they did mention that accomplishment a few times throughout the night. If memory serves me correctly he had to weigh in with change (or something to that effect) in his pockets in order to make the minimum weight, could be bullshit/urban legend though in order to add to Saku's GOATiness.

I think Maia would probably win a grappling contest but is that what would happen? you saw vs Royce Saku could play an anti grappling game pretty well.

Back