Prime Royce Gracie vs Kabob - who takes it?

Royce after being out of MMA for years came back and went 1.5 hours with Sakuraba, and even won the first few rounds. By the time he fought Hughes he was 40 years old. Hughes was in his prime and in the middle of his best winning streak, also finishing GSP and BJ Penn. GSP only lasted 20 seconds longer than Royce did. By the time Hughes was 40, he was retired for years because he was losing to guys he should have beat. Age matters, it's not just the simple false narrative of 'no one knew BJJ back then".

Heck, in his second fight Royce tapped out Ken Shamrock, who was huge, strong, and did know how to grapple. Around the same time Royce tapped out Shamrock, Shamrock was beating legends like Funaki, Matt Hume, and Bas Rutten. All of those fights happened in a 10 month period.

Ken knew grappling? In later years he significantly improved his jj. Have you watched that fight - Ken tapped out of pure panic...

If prime Royce was magically transported from the 90s to now - he couldn't beat anyone above 135 - and some of those guys beat him too. That's not a knock -Royce provided a basis for which the sport jumped off from. Appreciate him for what he was.

royce made himself famous fighting talentless scrubs in the us. everyone knows americans cant fight

Royce would get absolutely demolished. The people he beat wouldn't even make it into the UFC today.

Ken knew grappling? In later years he significantly improved his jj. Have you watched that fight - Ken tapped out of pure panic...

If prime Royce was magically transported from the 90s to now - he couldn't beat anyone above 135 - and some of those guys beat him too. That's not a knock -Royce provided a basis for which the sport jumped off from. Appreciate him for what he was.
"he couldn't beat anyone above 135"

loloool.png

On a seriouz note:

Hoyce is underrated indeed. Being a BJJ dude was not enough to win it all in the 1st UFCs, you had to be able to survive some bombs @ openweight, like that Kimo´s on the ground...
Absolutely N-O other WW in the history of this sport would have survived it.

Besides, Ken´s situation is a lil bit more complex, Im afraid...

Royce would get absolutely demolished. The people he beat wouldn't even make it into the UFC today.

this is fantasy bullshit, so i dont give a shit :D

but:
"Royce would get absolutely demolished. The people he beat wouldn't even make it into the UFC today."

<OKC16>
so you mean Saku couldnt make it?

I think Royce handles Kabob easily. Prime Royce was a certified killer, whereas Khabibi struggles to finish fights.

I feel that although he’d have the takedown advantage, Royce would tie Kabob into a knot once it gets to the ground.

Thoughts?

I gotta call troll on this one. Either that or you're new to the sport and believe the Gracie myths. Listen, the Gracies are legends and they changed the world of martial arts forever. But they were at their best back when nobody knew how to deal with BJJ. But now that everyone knows it, there are hundreds of guys that would trash any of the Gracies in their prime. Kbabib being one of them.

I gotta call troll on this one. Either that or you're new to the sport and believe the Gracie myths. Listen, the Gracies are legends and they changed the world of martial arts forever. But they were at their best back when nobody knew how to deal with BJJ. But now that everyone knows it, there are hundreds of guys that would trash any of the Gracies in their prime. Kbabib being one of them.
Talkin´about myths...another one there: "when nobody knew how to deal with BJJ" lmao

Royce after being out of MMA for years came back and went 1.5 hours with Sakuraba, and even won the first few rounds. By the time he fought Hughes he was 40 years old. Hughes was in his prime and in the middle of his best winning streak, also finishing GSP and BJ Penn. GSP only lasted 20 seconds longer than Royce did. By the time Hughes was 40, he was retired for years because he was losing to guys he should have beat. Age matters, it's not just the simple false narrative of 'no one knew BJJ back then".

Heck, in his second fight Royce tapped out Ken Shamrock, who was huge, strong, and did know how to grapple. Around the same time Royce tapped out Shamrock, Shamrock was beating legends like Funaki, Matt Hume, and Bas Rutten. All of those fights happened in a 10 month period.

If you're gonna count Ken's win over Hume you may as well bring up his wins over Rocky Maivia and Val Venis.

Why did I click on this shit thread lol
matt-hughes.gif

I think Royce handles Kabob easily. Prime Royce was a certified killer, whereas Khabibi struggles to finish fights.

I feel that although he’d have the takedown advantage, Royce would tie Kabob into a knot once it gets to the ground.

Thoughts?
Nurmagomedov would beat him to death.

Royce would get bodied by a mid tier bantamweight. People know how to defend BJJ now.

Exactly, it's moronic to take a fight where a guy is 40 year old, against one of the greatest champs of all time, in his prime, to say a fighter sucked. Pretty much any 40 year old legend would lose to a legendary champ in his prime. That's how age works.

Royce in his prime never had any significant strength, athleticism, or well rounded skills. He didn't have much physical ability to depreciate.

Royce in his prime never had any significant strength, athleticism, or well rounded skills. He didn't have much physical ability to depreciate.
You dont know what you´re talkin´about, Im afraid.

Back