Prime Minotauro Nogueira vs prime Werdum

Werdum could tap again as he's a level or two above Nog in jits at any point in Nog's career. Probably couldn't knock out a prime nog, though.

yep, and it's really not even close. Werdum has more tricks to pull.

Literally.

Fabricio+Werdum+Kickup+-+UFC+on+Fox+11.gif

Nogueira is a zombie now, but how would he fare if he fought against present and prime Werdum after drinking of the fountain of youth? They are so alike in many ways, both are jiu jitsu master that picked up on striking.

For me, this outcome might potentially say something about the skill level of present day MMA, and what it was in the Pride days. It also would say something about just how good a prime Fedor was.

Discuss.

[YT]?v=zi7ZfFpf_Mg[/YT]

[YT]?v=rp-D2DWMXII[/YT]

Werdum might not be in his prime, but he is at the peak development stages now.
I just think Nog has been in too many wars (including one against a truck!).

But if they fought at their top, IMHO Werdum would still get the win.

if you want me to explain, let me know ;)

I see Werdum winning by decision with exciting exchanges both in the stand up and ground.

People are so quick to dismiss Nog in these conversations. It's like they never watched him fight back then. He had great cardio and flexibility, serviceable boxing, was the most feared grappler in the HW division for ages and had a legendary chin. Werdum's improved striking wouldn't have posed as big a threat as some would like to think.

They fought recently and a clearly over-the-hill Nog took the fight to Werdum and did fairly well on the feet up until he decided pulling guard was a sound strategy. Yeah, years of wars will do that to your fight IQ.

Please.
Nog is proven to be overrated... he is a step-above another mid-tier ham-and-egger. He held the unofficial title of "Heavyweight Champion of the World" until Fedor took it from him, but TBH--that was when anyone could hold it. He struggled with Heath Herring. (Heath Herring was a top contender, if you can believe that!) Ricco Rodriguez beat him!

He has been exposed.

People are so quick to dismiss Nog in these conversations. It's like they never watched him fight back then. He had great cardio and flexibility, serviceable boxing, was the most feared grappler in the HW division for ages and had a legendary chin. Werdum's improved striking wouldn't have posed as big a threat as some would like to think.

They fought recently and a clearly over-the-hill Nog took the fight to Werdum and did fairly well on the feet up until he decided pulling guard was a sound strategy. Yeah, years of wars will do that to your fight IQ.

I don't think it should change your fight IQ.
IMHO Nog would lose because Werdum is as good on the ground as Nog, but his striking is better than Nog.

Please.
Nog is proven to be overrated... he is a step-above another mid-tier ham-and-egger. He held the unofficial title of "Heavyweight Champion of the World" until Fedor took it from him, but TBH--that was when anyone could hold it. He struggled with Heath Herring. (Heath Herring was a top contender, if you can believe that!) Ricco Rodriguez beat him!

He never had good stand-up. And his ground game has been overrated since 2002, when they would talk about how great "his grip strength" is or whatever.

Please.

He has been exposed.

That's a stupid post!
Nog is one of the top HW's of all times.

You are just a blind hater if you think this.

Flip a coin. Neither wins more than 7/10. Testament to Nog imo, considering Werdum is essentially Nog 2.0.

Werdum is in his prime right now and has never looked better then now.

But old school Big Nog would take the cake on that one.

You guys obviously haven't seen their fights.

Zombie Nog had me fearing for my bet ( bet on Werdum) when they fought the second time. Prime Nog would win.

You guys are insulting Minotauro by forgetting about his toughness, chin, his stamina, his athleticism (which was waaay better than in their second fight), his sick groundskills (their pime ground skills cancel each other out). Werdum's striking is very good, but prime Minotauro wouldn't fear the ground (like every other fighter does), wouldn't stay on the outside and would box the crap out of Werdum.

You guys obviously haven't seen their fights.

Zombie Nog had me fearing for my bet ( bet on Werdum) when they fought the second time. Prime Nog would win.

You guys are insulting Minotauro by forgetting about his toughness, chin, his stamina, his athleticism (which was waaay better than in their second fight), his sick groundskills (their pime ground skills cancel each other out). Werdum's striking is very good, but prime Minotauro wouldn't fear the ground (like every other fighter does), wouldn't stay on the outside and would box the crap out of Werdum.

Yes.

for those who don't know they fought in pride

30 year old Nog against 29 year old Werdum.

If this ain't "PRIME" U can Kiss my "country" ass.

I will go out on a limb here and pick Nog in a UD win over Fabracio.

I look even deeper into my crystal ball, I see Big Nog moving heaven and earth to make sure that this contest IS NOT decided on the ground.

Big Nogs boxing allows him to avoid "grappling" against the vastly superior grappler. Werdums take downs are not good enough to take Big Nog down and into top control.

Nog scores enough on the feet to get the judges nod.

:eek:WTF?

Werdum is a larger man with better skills. Not to over-simplify it too much, but he could win any type of fight with Nogueira.

They fought in their primes. Big Nog won, sweeping Werdum multiple times. That was a great fight. Big Nogs deep half guard game was a thing of beauty.

About the same as he did then. Contrary to myth and hype machine, Werdum has NOT improved nearly as much as many are acting. I love Werdum, but he's always been a very good HW, he hasn't improved much over the Werdum we saw years ago. People are saying his striking is drastically improved, which is BS. He was holding his own with Arlovski in a standup fight 8 years ago and would've done better had he not been throwing punches instead of odd slaps in that fight. Then he outstruck Gonzaga in his next fight.

Some clueless people were acting like Werdum was a can when he got TKO'd by JDS and the UFC and Werdum couldn't agree on a new contract so he went to Strikeforce. History has made it obvious they were wrong. Watch Werdum from 7 years ago and today and you will see no drastic improvement. He's always been one of the best HW's. The big difference is, he's been fighting smart and has avoided a lot of the damage that most of his contemporary's have endured. Big Nog, Hunt, and Mir have all sustained a lot more damage/wear and tear than Werdum has over their careers.

This!!!

Next time Werdum loses a fight, people will say how he's getting slow and old. Fight fans are the worst self-proclaimed experts who change their view on things rapidly after each fight. The thing is, most UFC guys do like 2 fights a year so when someone loses, it's a big thing and he's immediately judged and people say he's a can/out of prime/slow/old/should retire/whatever. In most other sports you play a lot of games and tournaments so even a few losses are not a big deal, since you can win the next few and all is forgotten. It's different in the fight game, especially MMA. So yeah, it's not like Werdum became a super striker over night, he's always been decent.

Both being at their best form, Werdum is the slightly better fighter. I say Doom 7/10.

Back