Prime Minotauro Nogueira vs prime Werdum

Tranaas

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Nogueira is a zombie now, but how would he fare if he fought against present and prime Werdum after drinking of the fountain of youth? They are so alike in many ways, both are jiu jitsu master that picked up on striking.

For me, this outcome might potentially say something about the skill level of present day MMA, and what it was in the Pride days. It also would say something about just how good a prime Fedor was.

Discuss.

[YT]?v=zi7ZfFpf_Mg[/YT]

[YT]?v=rp-D2DWMXII[/YT]

Prime Werdum's striking > Prime Nog's striking

So Werdum.

Close fight but if Werdum decides to take it south, he would win imo. Nog would keep the standup interesting but I think Werdum would take it

Werdums striking is much more well rounded than prime nogs ever was. I can't believe how good werdum striking has become actually

for those who don't know they fought in pride

Nog is a legend, but Werdum is the better overall fighter in prime.

Zombie Nog was doing well in the stand up in their recent fight.
So, I'll say that prime Nog who was actually agile on the ground and had good boxing would fare just fine.

About the same as he did then. Contrary to myth and hype machine, Werdum has NOT improved nearly as much as many are acting. I love Werdum, but he's always been a very good HW, he hasn't improved much over the Werdum we saw years ago. People are saying his striking is drastically improved, which is BS. He was holding his own with Arlovski in a standup fight 8 years ago and would've done better had he not been throwing punches instead of odd slaps in that fight. Then he outstruck Gonzaga in his next fight.

Some clueless people were acting like Werdum was a can when he got TKO'd by JDS and the UFC and Werdum couldn't agree on a new contract so he went to Strikeforce. History has made it obvious they were wrong. Watch Werdum from 7 years ago and today and you will see no drastic improvement. He's always been one of the best HW's. The big difference is, he's been fighting smart and has avoided a lot of the damage that most of his contemporary's have endured. Big Nog, Hunt, and Mir have all sustained a lot more damage/wear and tear than Werdum has over their careers.

Would probably go to a decision with Werdum getting the nod.

Depends on if it's the ten minute round.

Nog took it but it could be argued that Werdum got much better years later.

Nog was faster and more explosive back in Pride. Close match i think both could win it but i prefer prime Nog

prime werdum is better than nogueira everywhere.

About the same as he did then. Contrary to myth and hype machine, Werdum has NOT improved nearly as much as many are acting. I love Werdum, but he's always been a very good HW, he hasn't improved much over the Werdum we saw years ago. People are saying his striking is drastically improved, which is BS. He was holding his own with Arlovski in a standup fight 8 years ago and would've done better had he not been throwing punches instead of odd slaps in that fight. Then he outstruck Gonzaga in his next fight.

Some clueless people were acting like Werdum was a can when he got TKO'd by JDS and the UFC and Werdum couldn't agree on a new contract so he went to Strikeforce. History has made it obvious they were wrong. Watch Werdum from 7 years ago and today and you will see no drastic improvement. He's always been one of the best HW's. The big difference is, he's been fighting smart and has avoided a lot of the damage that most of his contemporary's have endured. Big Nog, Hunt, and Mir have all sustained a lot more damage/wear and tear than Werdum has over their careers.

I haven't seen Arlovski vs Werdum since the day it happened, but as I remember it, that was the same Arlovski that showed up for the 3rd Sylvia fight, and who lost to Bigfoot in the first fight. Hesitant, barely engaging, not committing.

Holding his own against THAT Arlovski doesn't count for too much. Arlovski was scared of losing, especially with the UFC putting him on ice.

Not saying Werdum did or didn't have skills, just that this was a version of Arlovski that wasn't terribly difficult to "hold one's own" or go the distance with.

Werdum's boxing and head movement is not on the level Nogs was at his best, but Werdum has added knees and kicks and is a bigger guy. Both have/had incredible gas tanks, Werdum is better on the ground.

I think Werdum by close D, the kicks make the difference.. I think Nog would get the better of it early before Werdum rallied kicking Nog and taking him Nog down and works top control

Good fight

Back