Prime Mike Tyson vs Prime Muhammed Ali

wwkirk

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Who would win in this hypothetical match-up?

Anthony Joshua thinks Tyson would have won.
"Anthony Joshua, one of the current heavyweight champions, had previously told JD Sports he believed Ali would struggle against the heavyweights of today.

“With Lennox Lewis, you know how they started getting bigger, hence why in the amateurs they then created a super-heavyweight division,” Joshua said. “The current heavyweight division in the amateurs is what we class as the cruiserweight division. So Muhammad Ali wouldn’t have been a fully-fledged heavyweight."

“So let’s say we bulked Muhammad Ali up and put size and strength to him, I truly believe Mike Tyson would’ve won. The reason being when you watch the fight with Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali, you see a certain Tyson-esque to Frazier’s style. Tyson used to study that Joe Frazier. The moving, the hooks. He managed to put Ali down in the fight, it was a very tough fight for Ali. And I just believe Mike Tyson was better schooled, times have evolved, Mike Tyson was more developed. More science, more information.”

But Mike Tyson himself is not so sure.

“I know it’s a fantasy game,” Tyson said. “Most likely I would win the fantasy, but I wouldn't win the real fight. Ali’s the greatest there’s ever been.”

"Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion of all-time at 20 years old. But throughout his life, Tyson had admired Ali and always showed respect toward one of the greatest fighters in the sport."

“He'll fight you to the end. He's really game, like a pitbull or a f--king rooster,” Tyson said of Ali in a 2016 interview with GQ Magazine. “But he looked like a model in his prime! He looked more like a model than a fighter. He was just a dead-game guy. He was dead game. He had too much pride. He refused to lose.”

Who do you think would win?

Mike Tyson admits he would not have lasted against Muhammad Ali in dream fight

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mike-tyson-dream-fight-muhammad-ali

It's been done here repeatedly, but prime Clay/Ali would have closed Mike's eyes and battered him, IMO. Think Mayweather/Gatti since I just re-watched that one. That is like the same script I would see playing out in that matchup. Mike had the heart to take a beating, but likely a corner stoppage at some point after the 8th. Ali was a different level of boxing talent and speed compared to Mike. And he took great punishment in fights from Foreman and Frazier (and Norton), so it's not like he would have wilted if Mike caught him with a few, even. He would have smiled.

Think Prime/Motivated Tyson could catch him and stop him like Frazier I... But more likely Prime Ali would stick and move and jab... piecing him up and possibly stopping Kid Dynamite later... Different Era is Different Era, but Ali.. like Lewis could hold belts in 2020.

Think Prime/Motivated Tyson could catch him and stop him like Frazier I... But more likely Prime Ali would stick and move and jab... piecing him up and possibly stopping Kid Dynamite later... Different Era is Different Era, but Ali.. like Lewis could hold belts in 2020.
doesn't that argument kinda fall apart when you consider that Ali was not in his prime post exile? which includes Frazier 1?

I think Ali probably beats him down. Mike I think has his moments

but Ali probably picks him apart to a decision. I don't think he would have stopped him unless Mike was just taking too much punishment but even then he had a great chin.

so I'll say Ali in a decision that gets wider as the rounds go on

Tyson by devastating ko. Ali got beat by Frazier, who is a poor mans Tyson. Smaller, less explosive, slower, less powerful, less defense, worse technique. The only thing Frazier has over Tyson is heart and stamina. Ali lost to Frazier, got dropped by 185 lbs man and the claim that he was untouchable in his prime is a myth. Just watch some of his prime fights. He gets caught plenty of times, by guys that couldnt beat Tyson if he was tied to a tree. If Tyson smells blood, its all over. Ali was a great, but he is overrated.
giphy.webp

I think Ali beats Tyson and it doesn’t even have to be prime Ali to do it.

i love mike but come on

I think Ali beats Tyson and it doesn’t even have to be prime Ali to do it.

i love mike but come on

If Ken Norton never fought Ali and people today talked about a fantasy match up between Norton and Ali, what would most say?

Ali got fast hands, But Tyson's hands are powerful

Can't decide sadly

If Ken Norton never fought Ali and people today talked about a fantasy match up between Norton and Ali, what would most say?

It’s not about that. It’s about Ali’s strengths being exactly what frustrates mike. Mike was strong but not a lot of fighting Iq in there. He was no Joe

It’s not about that. It’s about Ali’s strengths being exactly what frustrates mike. Mike was strong but not a lot of fighting Iq in there. He was no Joe

In what way was Joe smarter than Mike?
It's boxing, not rocket science. Mike had a good distrubition of defense and offense.

By the way: Ali, known for his IQ, never figured out why Norton caused him so much trouble.

In what way was Joe smarter than Mike?
It's boxing, not rocket science. Mike had a good distrubition of defense and offense.

By the way: Ali, known for his IQ, never figured out why Norton caused him so much trouble.

joe was smarter than mike in pretty much every way? Inside and outside the ring, Ali had trouble with norton, clash of styles but also he lost to norton after having lost to joe first, ken also had better reach and doesn’t exactly fight just like mike Tyson.

for me it’s quite simple, if evander could do that to mike twice, Ali should be able to do that and more. If you say mike was far from his best in those two fights then fine, but I don’t think a younger in his prime mike beats evander in any point of his career. I consider Ali to be better than Holyfield in every possible way, therefore I would out my money on Ali.

I really don’t want to get into a Tyson vs Ali argument

joe was smarter than mike in pretty much every way? Inside and outside the ring, Ali had trouble with norton, clash of styles but also he lost to norton after having lost to joe first, ken also had better reach and doesn’t exactly fight just like mike Tyson.

for me it’s quite simple, if evander could do that to mike twice, Ali should be able to do that and more. If you say mike was far from his best in those two fights then fine, but I don’t think a younger in his prime mike beats evander in any point of his career. I consider Ali to be better than Holyfield in every possible way, therefore I would out my money on Ali.

I really don’t want to get into a Tyson vs Ali argument

Nonsense.

Back