Prime Jones beats Reyes ... but 'this' Jon Jones???

I think Jones is past his prime. He doesn't fight as fiercely, and he looks more scared of getting hit now.

Jones looked really bad against Santos, who is comparatively small, while Reyes is bigger, faster, and throws sneakier (harder) punches than Santos.

I think Reyes is going to catch Jones and drop him hard. Reyes is a finisher too, who stays on a wounded fighter, while remaining highly-accurate, so he won't let Jones off the hook if he gets him hurt, either.

A lot of people doubt Reyes, but I think he will end the Jones era. Once Jones' aura of invincibility is gone, a lot of other people will beat him.

In a way, I hope I am wrong, because I would actually rather see Stipe beat Jones.

I fully expect Jones to win this fight, because he has always shown an ability to adapt to his opponent and pull out the win; but at the same time, it seems like Reyes has a different mindset and energy about him.

I would legitimately not be surprised if Reyes actually drops Jones and finishes him.

If we have seen anything in MMA it’s that fighters often fall off suddenly, and never seem to recover their former glory. If Jones fights long enough it’s sure to happen to him as well. It’s just a question of when, not if.

The only way for him to hold this off, somewhat indefinitely, is to adopt the Mayweather strategy of always fighting from a defensive posture, just eking our decisions with enough work to win the rounds. As well as carefully selecting his opponents to maximize his chances of winning.

Time will tell, and we will see what happens tonight.

Could be another dominant victory for Jones, or it could be his curtain call.

TS is a terrible self proclaimed “MMA Analyst”
<Prem973>

Reyes, for his undefeated record and hype, basically had a coin flip fight with Volkan.

I hate this argument. Jones and Volkan fight nothing alike, Reyes/Volkan tells us nothing about how Reyes/Jones will go.

I'm not even saying anything about who will win this fight, just that it's about as meaningful as Reyes looking better vs OSP than Jones did (i.e. not meaningful at all)

Prime Jones vs pulsing only Jones

Agree 100% TSer. Watch the Santos fight again, its shocking how far JJ has fallen off.

Reyes by 1st round KO.
If Jones had used his wrestling and GNP against Santos it would have been an east fight, same goes against Reyes. Jones is a.complete fighter. MMA isnt just striking, hence the mixed.

TS is a terrible self proclaimed “MMA Analyst”
<Prem973>

Possibly.

Trust me, I get that Jones is multi-dimensional and may very well take Reyes to school. I'm not blind that this is probably the way to bet.

However, Reyes is extremely accurate and is the only man Jones has faced that can legitimately KO or disable somebody with one quick shot. Reyes is also one of the only guys Jones has ever faced that is actually his size.

Gustafsson, being the other, was a good technical boxer, but was not a devastating puncher. Santos, while a devastating puncher, had a height/reach disadvantage ... not to mention no mobility, due to his knees ... and Santos' punches (while strong) were looping, and thus easier to see and get out of the way of.

Reyes is tall like Gustavson, he is quick and agile ... and he hits harder than Santos ... yet does not through looping punches.

Reyes is mobile, he throws very straight punches, and he has a devastating, perfectly-timed left uppercut.

Jones may look good for much of the fight, but this is the first time in his entire career he is at risk for getting KTFO with one quick shot.

jon is just beginning to enter his prime

I hate this argument. Jones and Volkan fight nothing alike, Reyes/Volkan tells us nothing about how Reyes/Jones will go.

I'm not even saying anything about who will win this fight, just that it's about as meaningful as Reyes looking better vs OSP than Jones did (i.e. not meaningful at all)

I'm the biggest supporter of styles making fights, but Reyes getting out wrestled in that first round is what gets me.

It's not that it's meaningful, like you said, it's just hard for me to get past.

I'm the biggest supporter of styles making fights, but Reyes getting out wrestled in that first round is what gets me.

It's not that it's meaningful, like you said, it's just hard for me to get past.

Volkan isn't really known as a wrestler though, a lot of times a non-wrestler can get an easier takedown just due to the element of surprise.

The Weidman fight might be a little more concerning cause he got the TD immediately even though Reyes had to know it was coming, but Reyes got up quickly and ended the fight. Jones hasn't shown anything in recent history to suggest his wrestling and top control are much better than Weidman at this point.

The Jones we're seeing is still good enough to eke a decision out against virtually anyone on the planet.
And at the shark infested waters of 205 I think he’ll do just fine even if he fights to 45, there are zero up and comers and even less contenders

And at the shark infested waters of 205 I think he’ll do just fine even if he fights to 45, there are zero up and comers and even less contenders

I have a feeling that tonight's fight will provide us with insight whether he's ready for a move to heavyweight or not.

My guess is that he will not move as long as beasts such as Francis and Stipe are roaming free.

Last edited:
People forget how awful Reyes looked against Oezdemir and really got behind him when he KOed a blown up 185er who had pretty much lost his last 5 fights via stoppage.

His best win is probably St. Preux, who has been extremely hot then cold as of late.

Jones shouldn’t have a problem coasting to a one sided decision.

Volkan isn't really known as a wrestler though, a lot of times a non-wrestler can get an easier takedown just due to the element of surprise.

The Weidman fight might be a little more concerning cause he got the TD immediately even though Reyes had to know it was coming, but Reyes got up quickly and ended the fight. Jones hasn't shown anything in recent history to suggest his wrestling and top control are much better than Weidman at this point.

Yeah. Kind of like how Gus was able to take Jones and DC down. I get it, it just concerns me.

I would probably say that Jones is still levels above Weidman at LHW though, just on the basis of being bigger and stronger.

Back