Prime Jones beats Reyes ... but 'this' Jon Jones???

PitDoggMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Jones is past his prime. He doesn't fight as fiercely, and he looks more scared of getting hit now.

Jones looked really bad against Santos, who is comparatively small, while Reyes is bigger, faster, and throws sneakier (harder) punches than Santos.

I think Reyes is going to catch Jones and drop him hard. Reyes is a finisher too, who stays on a wounded fighter, while remaining highly-accurate, so he won't let Jones off the hook if he gets him hurt, either.

A lot of people doubt Reyes, but I think he will end the Jones era. Once Jones' aura of invincibility is gone, a lot of other people will beat him.

In a way, I hope I am wrong, because I would actually rather see Stipe beat Jones.

The Jones we're seeing is still good enough to eke a decision out against virtually anyone on the planet.

By "prime" do you mean "on roids"?

If so, then yes, he is not in his prime. But that's assuming he's even clean now, which he may not be. But even clean he is still very good and should have no problem with Reyes. I think most people really want him to win because they want to see what happens if he fights for the HW title. Now THAT would be a blockbuster fight.

Jones is pumped and ready for Dom, he didn’t really consider Santos a threat..

Agree 100% TSer. Watch the Santos fight again, its shocking how far JJ has fallen off.

Reyes by 1st round KO.

Jon is just 2yrs older than Reyes, his body is well preserved from all them suspensions be it legal or USADA. He handled himself nicely against a tough Santos, I really don't get your past your prime argument is coming from...

I would like to see a more aggressive and confident Jones tonight. He has been very cautious and tentative in his last couple of fights, especial the Anthony Smith fight. Went 5 rounds barely doing anything against a guy with a torn ACL

I would like to see a more aggressive and confident Jones tonight. He has been very cautious and tentative in his last couple of fights, especial the Anthony Smith fight. Went 5 rounds barely doing anything against a guy with a torn ACL

This is exactly what I mean. Jones does not fight with the same confidence.

He built his legacy as a young, hungry man against older, smaller legends. His confidence was through the roof, and he fought with much more aggression.

It is now Jon Jones who is the older fighter, and I have noticed he fights much more tentatively. The fear factor against a really big puncher I think is going to affect Jones more than most realize.

We will know for sure tonight.

I can't tell if he's not fighting with the same confidence (for whatever reason we can speculate), or that he's simply bored. I know if I were playing one on one basketball against a 12 year old, no matter how hard I try, I cannot give my full effort and focus.

Especially if I'm not on steroids.

Jon's game is pure strategic do enough to get to Championship rounds let you bust all your juice trying to take him out when it gets to championship rounds all you see his opponents do is clock watch and that's when he wears you down and takes your breath away, and I'm not talking about the song.

Reyes by TKO! Mark my words. I got money down!

Agree 100% TSer. Watch the Santos fight again, its shocking how far JJ has fallen off.

Reyes by 1st round KO.
Considering Jones sent Santos to the hospital with two injured legs. I don't see him having a problem with Reyes.

Jones will win his fight against Reyes by being better at every aspect of MMA.

Santos is very versatile with his offence and he is explosive and ferocious.
Thats what gave jon some trouble. Reyes is quite slow and methodical. He will fall just like the others. Jon will do what he wants and dom will hang back waiting for something that never comes imo

I just don't get it.

Jones, while not the whirlwind he once was as a young man, is an extremely seasoned and tactical fighter at this stage of his career.

Reyes, for his undefeated record and hype, basically had a coin flip fight with Volkan.

Yes, he's tall, he's got a decent reach, he's pretty athletic, but I've seen nothing truly special out of him aside from that left cross that leads me to believe that he's going to take that strap from Jones.

If we could put DC's skills in Reyes' body, now that would be interesting.

I think Jones is past his prime. He doesn't fight as fiercely, and he looks more scared of getting hit now.

Jones looked really bad against Santos, who is comparatively small, while Reyes is bigger, faster, and throws sneakier (harder) punches than Santos.

I think Reyes is going to catch Jones and drop him hard. Reyes is a finisher too, who stays on a wounded fighter, while remaining highly-accurate, so he won't let Jones off the hook if he gets him hurt, either.

A lot of people doubt Reyes, but I think he will end the Jones era. Once Jones' aura of invincibility is gone, a lot of other people will beat him.

In a way, I hope I am wrong, because I would actually rather see Stipe beat Jones.

I'd still bet on Jones, but you're right--he's nothing like his prime and his time as champ is quickly ticking away unless he gets back to his old form. Early LHW champ Jones would take Reyes down quickly and it end it with hellbows or a submission in short order. Current Jones has forgotten he can wrestle.

Back