Prime Jack Johnson vs Jack Dempsey

I don't understand the logic of this.

Dempsey fought Tunney old and disinterested. He was busy being a movie star and idol. And Tunney was a slick as hell guy. It's not like Tunney lost a lot of fights; he's an all-time great himself.

Dempsey truly was a pioneer; a mix of fluidity and savagery unlike any before him.

No disrespect to Johnson, he is an all-time great, had better longevity than Dempsey, and I don't have any gripes if someone ranked them higher than Dempsey on their all-time great type lists, but at their best The Mauler > Galveston Giant.

He was disinterested ill concede to that but there was only 2 years difference in age between the two and i agree he was the first "effective brawler" but he was too inactive when he held the strap(would be stripped in modern era)and no i wouldnt put tunney ahead of dempsey just noting that a much smaller boxer gave him trouble and Galveston Giant was larger than most men dempsey fought(MOST) and had more than enough skill to go with it

He was disinterested ill concede to that but there was only 2 years difference in age between the two and i agree he was the first "effective brawler" but he was too inactive when he held the strap(would be stripped in modern era)and no i wouldnt put tunney ahead of dempsey just noting that a much smaller boxer gave him trouble and Galveston Giant was larger than most men dempsey fought(MOST) and had more than enough skill to go with it

Sheesh, you don't know what you're talking about at all...

Not now, I'm busy.

I'll school you later, son...

Hah hah hah!

.....yea........ thats right laugh at your own stupidity........you called me son why do i get the feeling your not old enough to drive?

Dempsey would have had the firepower to put Johnson down. It's a tough one. Johnson would have been a much older man at the time. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have been able to impose his will. Styles make fights, and I see Dempsey ruthlessly pushing forward and getting the W.

I don't know, tough to pick, Neither are as good as Louis or the later great heavies in my opinion. Dempsey was still more evolved and could do more things than johnson based on what i've seen. Hard to say, the footage isn't always great but I feel Dempsey just had more evolution than Johnson Neither has the fluidity of future champions, neither had the fantastic body mechanics of later champs, if someone ever sees them snap their shoulders with their punches please alert me.

The rules were different then, I forgot the name of the rules set. Jack Dempsey demolished so many people because once he caught them and put them of their ass once he just hovered above them and once they stood the beating continued.

I'd like Jack to win under that rule set, it favored super aggressive guys

Lol wow didn't realize how old this was. My answer is in here somewhere in sure.

never quite understood how Dempsey didn't show any signs of being a boxer. No slurred speech, nothing. He sounded perfect and when you consider all the problems just about every heavyweight champion has had and also, the hard come up of Dempsey who fought in saloons and streets before he ever started a boxing career it's amazing. Add to that the fact that they fought virtually bare knuckled, which bring another thing up, how did he not break his hands, I've never heard of him having hand troubles. I've heard the stories that he soaked his hands and face in brine but no way that did it.

Some men are just made for fighting. But yeah I've seen an interview of him in the early 60s and he was completely clear minded, especially for someone who won the championships in the 10's. But he never really got too much damage and was very inactive during his championships years. On top of that I've heard of old time Boxers not sparring a lot because of the potential to get an injury which could put an end to one of the million fights they have coming up.

ya, i'd lean towards dempsey, the one man stylistic revolution of the sport. singlehandedly brought things to the sport which no one has improved on yet. Johnson, seen clips of his fights, very poor quality, hard to judge. On the whole dempsey's offense beats johnsons reputed defense, and although johnson was a defensive fighter, i don't think he's ever moved alot in the ring like Tunney.

ya, i'd lean towards dempsey, the one man stylistic revolution of the sport. singlehandedly brought things to the sport which no one has improved on yet. Johnson, seen clips of his fights, very poor quality, hard to judge. On the whole dempsey's offense beats johnsons reputed defense, and although johnson was a defensive fighter, i don't think he's ever moved alot in the ring like Tunney.

This. I have never been impressed with Jack Johnson's defensive skills from what I have seen. Dempsey was ferocious and would have ended Johnson quick.

I would guess Jack Dempsey wins on no other basis than Dempsey was fucking cool.

When I was a kid I read an article that they actually had a secret fight which only the most priveliged got to watch, I can't remember hardly any details of it though and of course I don't think it was anything other than a rumour.

When I was a kid I read an article that they actually had a secret fight which only the most priveliged got to watch, I can't remember hardly any details of it though and of course I don't think it was anything other than a rumour.

"You're amazing. I remember reading about that too. I was young but I still remember the story and most of the details. I once read that Dempsey and Johnson actually DID engage in an exhibition in Canada. I'll never forget reading it. I read it in 1981 and again in 1992. I have not been able to find anything on it since. I'm sure, if such a fight took place, Dempsey handled him because Jack was well past his prime and could no longer do the things that he did best. "

from yahoo answers

"You're amazing. I remember reading about that too. I was young but I still remember the story and most of the details. I once read that Dempsey and Johnson actually DID engage in an exhibition in Canada. I'll never forget reading it. I read it in 1981 and again in 1992. I have not been able to find anything on it since. I'm sure, if such a fight took place, Dempsey handled him because Jack was well past his prime and could no longer do the things that he did best. "

from yahoo answers

ya, don't believe it though, in the near hundred years since everyone involved would have spilled the beans at some point.

Back