Prime Hughes vs prime (current) Khabib

I don't think either can secure a TD and we end up with 3/5 rounds of clinching and shitty striking.

Hughes ragdolled Tito ortiz in a grappling competition so I think he would have given khabib a tough fight.

Hughes might be a little too big. Or maybe not. I'd say Khabib is more skilled.
Hughes has lost to BJ Penn who also fought at FW. Khabib could never fight at FW. And they are the same height. I don't think Hughes is bigger.

I have to go with Hughes. His style is perfect to beat Khabib and he is underrated a lot on sherdog.

I see both nullifying each others wrestling and Hughes beating Khabib up in the clinch before tko ing him.

Theres a reason Khabib still cuts to lw despite his size and his punching power ist way lower.

If that is the case then why is there no WW to this day as well-rounded as Georges was?
And why are there still Pride fighters so far from their primes still able to compete against this new evolved breed.

We have heard this new breed nonsense nonstop since it was coined for Shaub and Mitrione and that cohort and unfortunately it just won't go away.

Hughes would pick Khabib up like a child and slam his ass.

they are. you cannot compare prime jones vs prime bas ruten. wtf.
Cherry picking individuals =/= a whole generation evolved over the prior generation.

If that was true no one from the prior generations would be able to compete with successive ones.

With the sport growing we are certainly to see the odd break through fighter. that again =/= the entire sport evolving.

they are. you cannot compare prime jones vs prime bas ruten. wtf.
Who are the best grapplers Khabib has fought at LW and how dominant or not was he against them? How dominant is he when someone can stop him from imposing his ground game?

This is from my post upthread showing some of the best grapplers Hughes faced non of which dominated him on the ground unless they could first beat him on the feet. How does Khabib's list compare?

He fought guys who were pretty solely focused on their wrestling like Trigg (ex Olympic) and Sherk (ex LW and WW champ), Newton (ex champ) , Penn (ex champ) and Serra and even GSP did not dominate him on the ground until he beat him on the feet.

Cherry picking individuals =/= a whole generation evolved over the prior generation.

If that was true no one from the prior generations would be able to compete with successive ones.

With the sport growing we are certainly to see the odd break through fighter. that again =/= the entire sport evolving.
no, you cannot compare the entire pioneer generation vs today's generation. its a fact, mma evolved, they have strategies

No way he outgrapples D.C in practice. Not buying it. And this Hughes Khabib fight would be interesting!! I have to think Khabib jab is better than Anything K1 Hughes could land though. Grappling would cancel each other out.

no, you cannot compare the entire pioneer generation vs today's generation. its a fact, mma evolved, they have strategies
What fact?

Why did so many from the Pride generation compete at the top for so long and outlast many from the generations that followed them? How do you deal with those facts?

Wow i wasn't even a big Hughes fan but he's definitely underrated on here now.

His wrestling was top notch. Only outclassed by GSP.

Hypothetical fights are stupid. Different eras of MMA. Skills have evolved since Hughes fought. Not fair to him.
And people saying Khabib's striking is better? <Lmaoo> maybe on the ground but Hughes dirty boxing was good.

What fact?

Why did so many from the Pride generation compete at the top for so long and outlast many from the generations that followed them? How do you deal with those facts?
no, they outlasted people from their generation. game evolved, the world evolved. dont live in stone age dude

no, they outlasted people from their generation. game evolved, the world evolved. dont live in stone age dude
Yes, many of them were in the top 10 and competing for title shots and winning belts against the new breed that came after. How could that be?

Khabib isn’t necessarily the next level of evolution. He’s not wowing you with crazy standup technique.
I checked out Hughes stand up before I posted and Khabib is next level compared to Hughes imo. Khabib looks so bad because he has some very newbie tendencies but he has spent a lot of hrs training with high level strikers so he has an OK understanding of striking which shows in hes fights. Hughes vs Khabib would be a mismatch and Khabib could defend takedowns and Muhammed Ali jab Hughses face off until infinity. Even on the ground Hughes would have trouble imo.

Back