prime Creed, does their music still hold up today?

Discussion in 'Abbey Road' started by bjpenngoat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bjpenngoat

bjpenngoat Red Belt

I was never a fan back in the day but I have heard some of their tunes again recently and now.I'm like this isnt so bad. The guy seemed like such a douche but maybe I was the douche for writing them off as dbag music.

2. Kaybee

Kaybee C’est La Vie

3. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

"What if" is lit as fuck yo.

SSgt Dickweed, El Moose and Carvaso like this.
  4. misterfurious

misterfurious Blue Belt

Terrible then, terrible now.

5. bigkick

bigkick Brown Belt

This forever and ever

andyeinstein and misterfurious like this.
  6. BB in Crazy!!!!

BB in Crazy!!!! Black Belt

I actually kinda liked a few songs by them. But overall, like many other popular bands, they were waaay overplayed given they were pretty meh overall. They are one of those bands that's cool to hate, like Nickelback. But as much as they jammed them down our throats on the radio, that kind of overexposure makes you roll your eyes to the point you just kinda hate them.

Contra-dictator and IndyCovaHart like this.
  7. newcastleman

newcastleman Blue Belt

It seems fashionable to shit on them nowadays.
    I for one loved them, however.

Contra-dictator likes this.
  8. Carvaso

Carvaso Yellow Belt

Belee dat!

9. Legumes

Legumes Shoe String Belt

I liked a few songs from them back then and think those songs are still alright today.

10. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Creed must have been so happy when Nickelback came along. Suddenly people found an easier even target to shit on for no other reason than this target enjoyed more success than folks think they should have enjoyed.

"My Own Prison" was a great song then and now:

I think the reason people hated them was because they couldn't live up to the giants of Grunge who ruled the early 90's (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains), and any band that is openly Christian in the vein of Grunge is going to be pilloried because, frankly, the fans of this genre tend to be more cynical, and many come from dysfunction. I saw that as an enormous fan of the genre. It was my favorite in high school and for a bit beyond.

Really, look at the "Post-Grunge" movement. Those bands were huge, and which of them doesn't get shit on? Only Foo Fighters & Silverchair seems to enjoy respect beyond the sales. Creed, Bush, Lifehouse, Staind, Seether, Matchbox 20, Puddle of Mudd, Fuel, 3 Doors Down, Trapt, Filter, Godsmack, Chevelle, Candlebox................I mean fuck me. No other subgenre in history was as fertile a ground for people to take take potshots and fling dung on success.

If you bristle at my assessment of Grunge fans I don't think there is any better example than Daniel Johns, the lead singer of Silverchair, to demonstrate my point. He won't even perform that music anymore because it came from such a dark place it triggers memory of that dysfunctional time in his life-- a bit like a rape survivor.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...als-hell-NEVER-perform-Silverchair-again.html
    He grew up to make possibly the most cottony soft Europop ever produced, but he seems a million times happier sounding more like his compatriot Kylie Minogue than like Kurt Cobain. That probably shouldn't surprise anyone:

Otherwise, though, commercial rock always suffers scrutiny because it's not in the spirit of the larger genre as it was formed, and for which it is sacred. I take this as a positive sign reflecting well on the fanbase. Meanwhile, rap lost its soul, and fans of that genre don't seem to care.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Legumes and BB in Crazy!!!! like this.
  11. TheRash

TheRash Green Belt

I'll agree completely to this. Grunge was such a short lived "culture" that when it passed it left a fan base wanting more, yet what they got wasn't Cobain, Layne, Cornell, Weiland, or Vedder, and so they instantly ridiculed.

Don't get me wrong, the grunge scene was pretty hard core, most if not all mainstream grunge bands literally made heroin cool again. They wrote, and performed songs with honesty, they died being who their fans knew from their catalog of music. The post-grunge scene lacked that aspect, and the grunge fans recognised it, so they they called those artist out on it.

In summary, when Layne Staley sang "Down in a hole" he was being honest. When Puddle of Mudd performed "Drift and Die" you were being sold a product.

12. luckyshot

luckyshot iP of the ENTIRE WR

Creed sucked. Grunge sucked. “Post grunge” (lol) most certainly fucking sucked. “Grunge” was a marketing gimmick. The music industy narrative is that the whole world was just hair metal then Kurt Cobain came along and saved us from the desert. Laughable.

So much good 90s music gets overlooked because it had nothing to do with “grunge” or “gangsta rap.” Creed, and 3 Doors Down, and Puddle of Mud, keep all that horseshit. And keep Nirvana while you are at it.

Alice In Chains was a good band. They were’t trying to be grunge. Neither was Nirvana, for that matter. Grunge, to the extent that it WAS a real thing, was over by the time it was labeled. Call in “90’s heroin rock” if you want... that would be more honest.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    ookii and BB in Crazy!!!! like this.
  13. Madmick

Spoken like those pencil-necked white boys from the suburbs who think they're enlightened because they listen to Kendrick Lamar.

<{cum@me}>

14. luckyshot

luckyshot iP of the ENTIRE WR

Lol. I plead ignorance on rap; I know I know very little about it. But I also know (as a pencil neck white boy) that this album came out in 1984:

Tell me again, why am I supposed to care about “grunge”?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Jimmy Jazz and ookii like this.
  15. Taco Loco

Taco Loco 12:97:24:99

Underrated, they have some good music other than all their radio singles and surprisingly heavy.

Contra-dictator likes this.
  16. Madmick

Is this the part where I post London Calling?

We get it. You hate Christians.

17. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

why listen to them when can listen to Pearl Jam or STP instead?

18. astrozician

astrozician Orion's Belt

I casually liked Creed, then I saw them live and my bad performed "My Own Prison". My appreciation has risen for some of the lesser known tracks from My Own Prison. "With Arms Wide Open" and "My Sacrifice" were waaaay over-played, and while they're decent songs, they have some really cringe-worthy lyrics.

19. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Red Belt

Husker Du and the Clash are very different musically despite both being punk bands.

20. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

Christian rock is the worst

Mr. Fixit likes this.