Prime Chuck

It's very tough to say.

Most likely Liddell would be allowed to update his training methods and do better than some might expect.

That's very cute how you simply dismiss his wins against good strikers as "out toughing" them.

Yet disregard how he would adapt his timing and distance superbly after a round or so. He timed Mezger and Overeem coming in then walked them down into a corner and brutally finished them.

Perfect way to put that. Chuck walked them down, and brutally finished them. Chuck walked them down terminator style, like "fuck your punches." And I think fans forget just how brutal both those finishes were. Fucking. Brutal. Like a wrecking ball.

For those who question Chucks striking:

Only fighter in MMA history(besides Anderson) to out strike Vitor in his Prime.

NUFF SAID

Yep. Chuck actually outstruck Vitor far more impressively than Andy did, imo. Andy landed the one kick and it was done (not that that is NOT impresive as hell, it is for sure). But Chuck dropped Vitor on his ass at one point with a right hook. Also landed a beautiful jump spinning side kick right on his ribs, and if it had been like 1 inch lower it probably would've been a liver shot ko. I've been trying to find that gif for years but can't ever find it. But damn that kick was impressive as hell. And considering it was Vitor he did it against makes it all the more impressive.

I laugh every time I hear morons say "but, but, chuck only outstruck wrestlers and couldn't hang with good strikers." That kind of stupidity is dangerous.

I'm curious why you think so(not saying I disagree). I never really thought about the match up much but they are both mainly counter strikers though Liddell started becoming too aggressive late in his career and lead more. I think if they fought each other prime for prime either guy could win but I think it would be boring with both guys waiting for the other guy to make a move.

He liked to hang back and let guys come in on him. he usually gave chase when he smelled blood.If they were fast enough to land on him,and he would miss them on their retreat,hed get frustrated,ala rashad. he couldnt stand that in and out movement. He wanted to hit guys coming right at him,trying to take him down or was willing to eat some shots to take one. Also I think on top of all this,if machida dedicated attacks to chucks legs and body,itd make him less effective as time passed.

Lidell was awesome at catching someone who stood in front of him,by being deceptivley fast. The way he caught randleman and alistair was really nice. But Gus,Machida...i think theyd give him fits.

That look in his eyes, though.
giphy.gif

He liked to hang back and let guys come in on him. he usually gave chase when he smelled blood.If they were fast enough to land on him,and he would miss them on their retreat,hed get frustrated,ala rashad. he couldnt stand that in and out movement. He wanted to hit guys coming right at him,trying to take him down or was willing to eat some shots to take one. Also I think on top of all this,if machida dedicated attacks to chucks legs and body,itd make him less effective as time passed.

I think I would give Machida the edge but I don't think it would be a big one. He does have good knees to the body but he doesn't really do much of any work with low kicks or body kicks. Liddell's chin prime for prime also seems vastly better. If there was a KO in this fight it would be when one of them is rushing in, though I think in this hypothetical match up Liddell is more likely to KO Machida because I think he hits harder and is more durable. I think Machida would win a decision in a fight with a lot of waiting.

It's hard for me to compare fighters of today vs 10 years ago. If Chuck had access to the shit these guys do today, I think he would be just as successful. He would still be marketable, and I think if anything, his style is the most successful today. Learning wrestling to use in reverse and developing a solid striking game seems to be the best path to success today. Iron chin, great tdd, and 1 shot ko power translates to any generation imo.

i dont question his striking,but if he hadnt been so tough,he probably would have went down to the initial onslaught those guys put on him. I mean look at the mezger fight. mezger was nailing him with all sorts of shot including right hand BOMB,and then in the 2nd round he was all gassed up and a sitting duck. Alistair just went right at him and threw the kitchen sink at him. I dont dismiss his wins,BUT i AM saying i dont think he would have beat Gus,Jones,AJ or Cormier at all. I dont like his chances against any of them. Today is a different breed of fighter.
He was a quality striker for sure but his chin sure as hell helped him gain some wins. Mezger was technically a better striker than chuck but lacked power.

The current era is overrated in the notion that they are light years ahead of the older generation.

Outside the hypotheticals of Jon Jones or Cormier at HW - The absolute best fighter in the world is from the old generation.

I agree especially when you look at the de-evolution of grappling in mma. In the old days some of the best BJJ and Judo guys in the world would fight MMA. Now everyone is so well rounded and I think the decline in grappling skill level has gone way down. I used to train BJJ so I tend to focus on simple mistake you see these days.

Prime Chuck got dominated by Rampage. I think he'd be fringe top 5, same with prime page, DC/Jones but beat either one of them easy, would love to see either against Rumble/Gus/Glover though.

I think I would give Machida the edge but I don't think it would be a big one. He does have good knees to the body but he doesn't really do much of any work with low kicks or body kicks. Liddell's chin prime for prime also seems vastly better. If there was a KO in this fight it would be when one of them is rushing in, though I think in this hypothetical match up Liddell is more likely to KO Machida because I think he hits harder and is more durable. I think Machida would win a decision in a fight with a lot of waiting.

he did some good body work with kicks in the henderson fight. I wonder if he would dare implement his judo game as well...it wouldve been interesting to see that.

Glover, Rashad, Shogun, Lil Nog, etc were all from Chuck's era and they're still considered the top of the division today.

Glover, Rashad, Shogun, Lil Nog, etc were all from Chuck's era and they're still considered the top of the division today.
two of them beat him,and the others he didnt fight.

Nah, only Shogun and Lil Nog were. And both Shogun and Rashad KTFOd him so..

And no, all 4 but Glover are considered low-tier fighters on the verge of being cut today. Lil Nog would have been cut years ago if he actually fought more than once every few years.

Glover is Chuck's protege and Rashad was the next generation.

Punchers chance against anyone. Even in the current era.

he could really surprise guys who stood still too long with speed

liddell-ko-overeem.gif

UFC31-ChuckLiddellVsKevinRandleman-.gif

Back