Prime Chuck

I think Prime Chuck could beat any of them if not necessarily all of them.

Prime Chuck would hold the belt at least once in modern MMA. He would obviously adapt!!! Chuck would be a legend from anytime in history

Honestly,alot of the guys he fought didnt have the tools to stand up with him in the ufc. They were scared.When he did fight good strikers,when he won its usually because he out "toughed" them. Like Alistair overeem and guy mezger.

That's very cute how you simply dismiss his wins against good strikers as "out toughing" them.

Yet disregard how he would adapt his timing and distance superbly after a round or so. He timed Mezger and Overeem coming in then walked them down into a corner and brutally finished them.

For those who question Chucks striking:

Only fighter in MMA history(besides Anderson) to out strike Vitor in his Prime.

NUFF SAID

All i know is, Chuck got knocked out by Rampage and Rampage was way past his prime at that point.
I mean, he was still tough, but very slow compared to his best days in PRIDE.

Chuck was always good, but he was a lot of hype also, he rarely faced fighters with much power and when he finally did, he got knocked out. He always had sloppy defense, but no one hit him hard enough.

Chuck is a horrible matchup for Machida,which was why he avoided that fight.
Chuck would get embarassed.

Do you mean that Machida is a bad match up for Chuck? It looks like you made a typo somewhere, the two sentences don't match up.

I guess this post was more aimed at the differences in style from today's fighters. I felt he really let his hands fly at all times. Very entertaining. Just feel today's fighters are a little more methodical in their striking.

That's very cute how you simply dismiss his wins against good strikers as "out toughing" them.

Yet disregard how he would adapt his timing and distance superbly after a round or so. He timed Mezger and Overeem coming in then walked them down into a corner and brutally finished them.

For those who question Chucks striking:

Only fighter in MMA history(besides Anderson) to out strike Vitor in his Prime.

NUFF SAID

i dont question his striking,but if he hadnt been so tough,he probably would have went down to the initial onslaught those guys put on him. I mean look at the mezger fight. mezger was nailing him with all sorts of shot including right hand BOMB,and then in the 2nd round he was all gassed up and a sitting duck. Alistair just went right at him and threw the kitchen sink at him. I dont dismiss his wins,BUT i AM saying i dont think he would have beat Gus,Jones,AJ or Cormier at all. I dont like his chances against any of them. Today is a different breed of fighter.

Prime chuck would do fine in this era. He knew the basic fundamentals of striking, so he could be trained differently as well. But seeing how his coaches are still
top striking coaches in the UFC I doubt he would need too.

Listen, prime chuck wasn't jabbing and circling, we know that. But he had an insane combination of having fast hands, hard hands, and decent accuracy.

his flurries were insane, and one of those would sneak there way through the guard.

He's no Jones Killer, but Prime Chuck takes out Gus, Bader, OSP pretty easily imo

Do you mean that Machida is a bad match up for Chuck? It looks like you made a typo somewhere, the two sentences don't match up.

yah i meant machida would have ate him up.

ut. He always had sloppy defense, but no one hit him hard enough.

they def hit him hard enough. He was just unstoppable in his early days. The punch Guy mezger hit him with should have put him down. I woulda fuckin ran if someone got up from that. Thats disheartening.

I wonder whether Chuck would be too small for today's LHWs. Fighters seem to cut a lot more weight than they used to, and Chuck was always a little bit fluffy at 205.

The current era is overrated in the notion that they are light years ahead of the older generation.

Outside the hypotheticals of Jon Jones or Cormier at HW - The absolute best fighter in the world is from the old generation.

Today's fighters are not that much evolved at all. Jones, DC, and Rumble are the only guys I'd pick against Prime Chuck. And I think he'd stand a chance against those guys as well.

I completely agree with you two ^. Those of us that were hardcore fans 10+ years ago and are hardcore fans today, realize that the difference isn't nearly as much as a lot of people seem to think. It's evolving still, but not at the light speed pace that it was in the first 10 years of the sport.
The top guys in 2005 would fuck up a LOT of the top guys from today. I'd bet money on that. Even if you took the guys from 2005 exactly as they were, they'd win a lot of fights today. And if you take those guys and put them through todays training methods and camps, they'd almost all still be at the top.

Chuck was just a nightmare for most fighters. Noobs like to say "oh look his striking was sloppy and he kept his hands low and no defense blah blah." Well, he kept his hands low for 2 reasons: 1. THE game plan against Chuck for many years was to take him down. Take him down at all costs because almost nobody wanted to trade strikes with him. So he kept his hands low to defend those shots and keep the fight standing. 2. He kept those hands low to bait guys into thinking they could land a punch, and even if they could, it wouldn't do any damage. But chuck would land one of HIS punches, and it would do major damage.

Then consider that prime Chuck was next to impossible to hurt, let alone ko. Then consider that he had a pretty impressive gas tank. Then consider that almost nobody could keep the guy on the ground for more than 2 or 3 seconds. Consider he was next to impossible to take down. Consider he had almost no fear, did not get intimidated, and almost always got in guys grill (that kind of confidence demoralizes the fuck out of fighters, even today). Also consider he could ko you with his right hand, left hand, left foot, right foot, straight punches, looping punches, backing up punches....pretty much if he touched you with anything it was gonna fuck you up. Chuck is known for the overhand right that could ko a horse. But people forget he landed a picture perfect jump spinning side kick right on the ribcage of Vitor freakin Belfort, broke Franklin's arm with a kick that was blocked (after Chuck was WAY past his prime), and ko'd Babalu with a LHK.

I still say he has the best chance out of most LHW's of all time to beat Jones. When you consider all the factors in the above paragraph, I don't think Jones handles that very well. Not saying Chuck would definitely beat Jones, but he'd have a better chance than most, imo.

lol /rant

Prime chuck would do fine in this era. He knew the basic fundamentals of striking, so he could be trained differently as well. But seeing how his coaches are still
top striking coaches in the UFC I doubt he would need too.

Listen, prime chuck wasn't jabbing and circling, we know that. But he had an insane combination of having fast hands, hard hands, and decent accuracy.

his flurries were insane, and one of those would sneak there way through the guard.

He's no Jones Killer, but Prime Chuck takes out Gus, Bader, OSP pretty easily imo

I think gus is a hard fight too

yah i meant machida would have ate him up.

I'm curious why you think so(not saying I disagree). I never really thought about the match up much but they are both mainly counter strikers though Liddell started becoming too aggressive late in his career and lead more. I think if they fought each other prime for prime either guy could win but I think it would be boring with both guys waiting for the other guy to make a move.

This is Prime Chuck

chuck-rst-500x500.jpg

I think consolidation is a bigger factor than evolution. If eight of the top 10 LHWs today were in another promotion, Chuck would be able to go on a similar run at the top of the UFC.

Top 5 for sure.

On another note, I was watching Rampage Wanderlei 2 yesterday and daaaaaamn Rampage looked good in that fight in the first round. It's funny how your views on some fighters distort over the years. That Rampage would also easily be top 5 these days.
Rampage be wand 1 and 2 are still amazing to me, no matter how many times I see them! I agree that rampage was legit and his chin was godly in the 1st fight.

All i know is, Chuck got knocked out by Rampage and Rampage was way past his prime at that point.
I mean, he was still tough, but very slow compared to his best days in PRIDE.

Chuck was always good, but he was a lot of hype also, he rarely faced fighters with much power and when he finally did, he got knocked out. He always had sloppy defense, but no one hit him hard enough.

Vitor...
Reem...
Even wand in the twilight of his career

Prime chuck is good for a slow roast, with veggies and potatoes.

Back