Prime Chuck

TheGumby

Claymation Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Was watching some of his fights on fight pass while drinking a few beers the other night, he was the first original fighter I loved to watch. Just noticed such a difference in his striking vs that of today's fighters. Anyone believe he really would be much of a contender or force in this more evolved Era? I feel he would struggle against what seems like more calculated/defensive striking of today's fighters. Probably still be top 10 but I don't think he would be near the force he was then.

Was watching some of his fights on fight pass while drinking a few beers the other night, he was the first original fighter I loved to watch. Just noticed such a difference in his striking vs that of today's fighters. Anyone believe he really would be much of a contender or force in this more evolved Era? I feel he would struggle against what seems like more calculated/defensive striking of today's fighters. Probably still be top 10 but I don't think he would be near the force he was then.
You're probably going to catch a lot of flack comparing an older to fighter to todays guys but ultimately I think you're right. There are too many guys great in all aspects of the game that it would be hard for him to be champion or at least for long. His stand up was not dated. Chuck could strike with some of the best of them. His bout with guy mezger told me a lot about where he's at.

I think Chuck in his prime would be top 7. He was tough as nails, had above average striking(mostly because of his power), and had the TDD to keep the fight standing. Although i do think he benefited from favorable match ups. But I do NOT think Chuck could win the belt.

I have nothing but respect for guys like Chuck though. He never showed up to win on points. Chuck showed up to knock you out and entertain the fans.

I completely agree that his style was so privy to pleasing the fans. Guy was a real catalyst of the sport. Chuck is the one person I could never see myself rooting against. Quite honestly he was the fighter who got me really interested in the UFC and now it's one of my major passions. Just an observation I had made because it had been so long since I watched his fights.

Chuck has a good chance against everyone at LHW except Jones, and DC if he blankets him.

Top 5 for sure.

On another note, I was watching Rampage Wanderlei 2 yesterday and daaaaaamn Rampage looked good in that fight in the first round. It's funny how your views on some fighters distort over the years. That Rampage would also easily be top 5 these days.

Prime Chuck would still be top 5 no doubt.

I'd favor Jones and maybe Rumble or DC.

If DC can't get Chuck down or keep him down, I think Chuck lights DC up.

Just thinking, imagine Prime Chuck vs Rumble...damn.

Chuck also won a lot of fights in his prime before he ever stepped into the cage. It was really before the majority of fighters were so well rounded and you basically knew that if you had to fight Chuck, you had to win the fist fight and people were super apprehensive.

The wins over Tito and Babalu were examples of guys that just didn't want to be highlight reels and weren't able to get comfortable and fight their fight.

Bader, Davis, OSP, Teixeira all lose
Rumble would be nuts; he would definitely need that Prime Chuck Chin
Gus and DC would be awesome fights
Jones, nah
Solid Top 5

Chuck had trouble with strikers in his own era and I think he would vs the top 4-5 guys today as well although I would pick him to beat the likes of Bader and Davis.

Chuck has a good chance against everyone at LHW except Jones, and DC if he blankets him.

He always has that KO shot against Bones and with today training methods who knows.

As far as DC, hes the same mold as Randy theyre both strong guys who engage their TDs from the clinch, after the first loss to Randy the clinch was pretty much completely nonexistent for him because of Chucks improved footwork.

Best KO artist from the backpedal in MMA to date, kinda hard clinching with a guy who can knock heads off while moving backwards. I think he knocks out DC

The current era is overrated in the notion that they are light years ahead of the older generation.

Outside the hypotheticals of Jon Jones or Cormier at HW - The absolute best fighter in the world is from the old generation.

Today's fighters are not that much evolved at all. Jones, DC, and Rumble are the only guys I'd pick against Prime Chuck. And I think he'd stand a chance against those guys as well.

Chuck would lose to Rumble, DC, and Jones. Everyone else is a toss up. I'd love a Chuck vs Gus or Chuck vs Machida. Always came in looking separate someone from consciousness.

Honestly,alot of the guys he fought didnt have the tools to stand up with him in the ufc. They were scared.When he did fight good strikers,when he won its usually because he out "toughed" them. Like Alistair overeem and guy mezger.

Chuck would lose to Rumble, DC, and Jones. Everyone else is a toss up. I'd love a Chuck vs Gus or Chuck vs Machida. Always came in looking separate someone from consciousness.

Chuck is a horrible matchup for Machida,which was why he avoided that fight.
Chuck would get embarassed.

Prime Chuck vs rumble would be sick

CPU vs CPU he made it to round 4 in EA UFC, and KOd Cormier inside 3

Lol

Yeah I like Chuck. I feel prime Chuck beats all but top 4 LHW

Back