Prime Chad Dawson vs. Artur Beterbiev.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Am I crazy if I think Dawson would give Beterbiev trouble with his speed and athleticism? Dawson was one of the fastest LHWs I've ever seen.

Hard to see how this goes well for Dawson. He could look good, even great, in spots, but he never managed to put it all together, and his lack of durability and mental strength wouldn't do him any favours against Beterbiev's pressure.

Biev by KO

Prime Dawson vs a prime Stevenson or Gvozdk is a better fantasy fight.

I do think Prime Chad Dawson can beat Prime Artur Beterbiev

Now, I know this fight was very close, I scored it razor close, but let’s take a look at Chad Dawson vs. Glen Johnson 1. . . We’ve seen Glen Johnson and Artur Beterbiev break fighters down before in pretty similar fashion. Glen Johnson put RELENTLESS pressure on Chad Dawson in that first fight. Relentless. He walked right through Dawson’s punches, threw jabs for days, winged wild shots, stunned Dawson in the 11th with iirc the same punch that floored Roy. BUT, Chad never folded. He stuck and moved. Never folded under the pressure like we’ve seen many opponents do vs. Glen Johnson (Yusaf Mack my personal favorite)

I could see Chad Dawson vs. Artur Beterbiev looking similar to Dawson/Johnson 1 minus the razor thin decision. I think Beterbiev puts the pressure on but Dawson keeps his cool and sticks and moves his way to a UD. Dawson was very fast, very slick, and had a great ring IQ

Now, I am aware that Artur Beterbiev is better at picking shots than Glen Johnson. But the consistent pressure is similar in my opinion. A calmer approach from Beterbiev, but I wouldn’t see prime Dawson folding up

What about absolute peak Dawson? That version would have an even better chance. It's science.

Hopkins fight maybe?

anyhow Dawson makes it tough for Beterbiev the first few rounds and then eventually Artur beats him up and wears him down

To be honest, he didn't even look particularly impressive there. Despite having an ideal style to beat an ancient Hopkins (speed and length advantage along with good boxing skills), he got very little done offensively, even when Hopkins was forced to open up.

To be honest, he didn't even look particularly impressive there. Despite having an ideal style to beat an ancient Hopkins (speed and length advantage along with good boxing skills), he got very little done offensively, even when Hopkins was forced to open up.
I haven't watched any of his pre-Hopkins fights (Johnson/Adamek/Diaconu/Tarver) in full, except for Pascal. Maybe one of those fights then?

IDK Dawson was weird, he really didn't seem to like boxing or give a shit about it tbh

I haven't watched any of his pre-Hopkins fights (Johnson/Adamek/Diaconu/Tarver) in full, except for Pascal. Maybe one of those fights then?

IDK Dawson was weird, he really didn't seem to like boxing or give a shit about it tbh

He did always seem a bit off and disinterested.

He did always seem a bit off and disinterested.

It was between the Tarver and Johnson fights where he looked off and unmotivated and then after the Pascal loss he went downhill from there.

I still think the Chad Dawson that dethroned Adamek would pose problems for Stevenson.

In a hypo match like this you need to take Chad at his best night. Beterbiev's was The Nail, but he had some great moments with his speed and use of distance. Beterbiev is physically strong and hurts everywhere with his punches, but these men have been dismantled before. Nobody thought Ali would beat Foreman. Really was a Longshot. Chad, at his best night....maybe. we ways question the more brittle fighter.

What about Bhop from his better LHW days vs Beterbiev?

It was between the Tarver and Johnson fights where he looked off and unmotivated and then after the Pascal loss he went downhill from there.

I still think the Chad Dawson that dethroned Adamek would pose problems for Stevenson.

That's true. He did look very good at times against Adamek, even if his fragility was also occasionally on display. Adamek looked like he had never seen a southpaw at times, and although I was never that high on Adamek, he was certainly not a bad fighter. It's something how a guy can peak on one night at 24, but that is pretty much the case with Dawson (not that he didn't have other worthwhile wins). There was always word that he couldn't take Floyd Sr.'s intense training, which certainly seems like it might have some legitimacy in retrospect.

I do think Prime Chad Dawson can beat Prime Artur Beterbiev

Now, I know this fight was very close, I scored it razor close, but let’s take a look at Chad Dawson vs. Glen Johnson 1. . . We’ve seen Glen Johnson and Artur Beterbiev break fighters down before in pretty similar fashion. Glen Johnson put RELENTLESS pressure on Chad Dawson in that first fight. Relentless. He walked right through Dawson’s punches, threw jabs for days, winged wild shots, stunned Dawson in the 11th with iirc the same punch that floored Roy. BUT, Chad never folded. He stuck and moved. Never folded under the pressure like we’ve seen many opponents do vs. Glen Johnson (Yusaf Mack my personal favorite)

I could see Chad Dawson vs. Artur Beterbiev looking similar to Dawson/Johnson 1 minus the razor thin decision. I think Beterbiev puts the pressure on but Dawson keeps his cool and sticks and moves his way to a UD. Dawson was very fast, very slick, and had a great ring IQ

Now, I am aware that Artur Beterbiev is better at picking shots than Glen Johnson. But the consistent pressure is similar in my opinion. A calmer approach from Beterbiev, but I wouldn’t see prime Dawson folding up
Dawson would have to fight the perfect fight to go 12 with Beterbiev and his defense and durability wouldn't have been up to the task. He would have real success early but if he couldn't even get Johnson's respect then he wouldn't have been able to get Beterbiev's. There's a world of difference between a 40 year old Johnson and Beterbiev who has never even been taken the distance. It's not like he has to break opponents mentally to stop them when he can physically ragdoll them and knock them cold just the same.

This^
I don't think people realize just how consistent Adamek could have kept being if he stayed at LHW. I remember how people were complimenting here how fast chambers is for a HW, Adamek wiped him and a bunch of other HW. literally Admek second loss after Dawson for many years is Vitaly, let that sink in and still kept winning

Back