Prime Bob Sapp vs UFC HW division

Prime Sapp has a heart attack en route to the cage in Mexico City.

That said, I could see this happening to some UFC heavies:

BUEzhy4.gif

Some decent technique & speed for a guy that was 350lb of roided muscle, most men that size can hardly rotate their arms properly. Prime Sapp was no joke, it's a shame he developed such a discomfort for being punched and discovered taking dives was the easiest way of collecting a pay cheque, such an unfortunate waste of talent.

Bob would be able to win many fights just by virtue of being a gigantic human being. But if any of those HWs landed clean on his chin, this:

bob-sapp-crying.jpg

Even in his prime. His wins were based on him winging sloppy strikes with lots of power and not taking shots cleanly. But he was far from unbeatable.

A prime Sapp would never make 265.

We are all witnesses.

[YT]3CguTRDDUNI[/YT]

The guy Fujita beat in two minutes when he was in his prime? Gets starched by almost everyone. In b4 Pride fan boys say how Fujita should be top ten today...because he was in Pride.

You guys gotta be fucking kidding me... The worst part about Bob Sapp is that in the 15+ years he's been fighting he has never improved... He is the the best example of why technique trumps brute strength.. The Heavyweight division in the UFC right now is very lackluster.. But even still... The only reason Sapp had the little success he did was because people were scared of the sheer size of the man... Once they realized all you have to do is punch him, he was done.. Can't even believe he still gets signed for fights at this point..

Bob would be able to win many fights just by virtue of being a gigantic human being. But if any of those HWs landed clean on his chin, this:

bob-sapp-crying.jpg

Even in his prime. His wins were based on him winging sloppy strikes with lots of power and not taking shots cleanly. But he was far from unbeatable.

Mirko had just broken his orbital with that punch, that pic is not an indication of anything.

Sapp could hurt a lot of people, and yes if they can survive the initial onslaught they most likely beat him with cardio and skill. But for those first few minutes Sapp is a dangerous man, and could take out anyone.

That said, I wouldn't count on much consistency or a long win streak from him.

Mirko had just broken his orbital with that punch, that pic is not an indication of anything.

Sapp could hurt a lot of people, and yes if they can survive the initial onslaught they most likely beat him with cardio and skill. But for those first few minutes Sapp is a dangerous man, and could take out anyone.

That said, I wouldn't count on much consistency or a long win streak from him.

He was definitely a beast early in a fight. One of his biggest assets was being an imposing figure that could knock the shit out of you with his massive ham sized fists powered by a 350 lb block of muscle. He was hittable and could be stopped, that has been evident his entire career. His giant arms and shoulders alone made for a decent striking defense. He was perfect for Pride and K-1. Was a sight to behold early on.

If he doesn't get the ko in the first 60 seconds, he still taps out to the first solid punch that hits him.

I would take even todays Sapp against someone like Potts..

Top 5 or maybe even champion on a good day and if gifted a title shot. I know newer fans won't believe it but I fully believe he was as good or better than Lesnar. He was simply PRIDE's version of Brock

Sapp was a monster and got by on size, strength and will. Don't base your opinion on Sapp from the end of his career where he was just collecting a paycheck. For a short period, he was the scariest man in MMA.

I echo this assessment. The same applies to mirko too.

He'd fail the drug test.
Didn't Victor Conte say on the JRE podcast that Sapp used to buy steroids in bulk?
Like... truckloads of synthetic testosterone being delivered to his house daily just to maintain that muscle mass.

prime sapp (roost era) was a scary beast in the first round
he came after you like a bulldozer
not sure if some of the ufc fighters would survive that

Sapp destroys all those ufc sissy's and it isn't even close. He would even have beat Fedor had they fought, I mean he already beat him at arm wrestling.

I'd favor prime Sapp over Big Foot. Though him making 265 would literally be impossible. The smallest he's ever been was around 300 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back