Prime Blachowicz

He went to a split decision with Jacare less then a year ago. He’s the same fighter. This prime bullshit is getting ridiculous
I never said he hit his peak last year. I said he peaked late. The evidence being he won 8 of his last 9 fights compared to how he started off his UFC career with a sub.500 record.

37years old is no ones prime.

Arlovski was on the longest win streak of his career

A meaningless streak where he looked limited compared to his younger self.

This epic "streak" included him arguably robbing both Mir and Schaub, Koing TRT-less Silva (means nothing), and beating up Travis Brown.

Yes, the only notable accomplishment there was beating up Travis Brown, which Arlovski did with basically one hand as he has devolved as a fighter.

Arlovski was on the longest win streak of his career

Look at the strength of competition. Are you really this stupid?

And most everyone agrees Schaub got robbed in their fight. The Murr fight was specially embarrassing b/w 2 shot fighters

Andrei was way past it at that point. His best streak in his career was easily in the mid 2000s when he beat Cruz, Werdum, OBrien, Rothwell and Nelson

Andrei was literally a second away from losing a decision to Travis Fulton in 2011. To think he was still in his prime there is hilarious. He reinvnted himself and took advantage of the garbage state of HW at the time but he was way past it

Many on Sherdog are always discrediting Stipe’s, Colby’s and Adesanya’s wins saying they’re only beating up old man.

Jan is 37 years old with 35 pro fights and 14 years fighting professionally. How the fuck he’s still moving, yet alone winning fights? He is definitely washed up by Sherdog standards

They only made mid 30s and above out of the prime range so they could say that none of Fedor's losses count.

Bunch of idiot fedor nuthuggers who think that fighters can't be in their prime in MMA in their mid to late 30s.

So you are delusional and blind, got it.

Overeem looked like shit vs nobodies in Sakai and Harris. Looked like crap vs Bigi too.

Overeem was at his best when he was roided and had less than a dozen KO losses.

Honestly, did you even watch the sport before you made this account?
Overeem was getting KOed on daily basis even with roids. Dude has 13 TKO/KO loses

Overeem was getting KOed on daily basis even with roids. Dude has 13 TKO/KO loses

He had a much better guard and defense when he was a roided freak.

Again, you would know this if you actually watched those fights.

I think with humans living longer than we ever have, it only makes sense that a person, especially an athlete's prime, be later than it previously was.

It used to be that 15 to 16 is considered prime for the average person. Then, it got pushed back to 25-31.

I wouldn't be surprising if it was later than that, now.

It really is more of a case by case basis, though.

He had a much better guard and defense when he was a roided freak.

Again, you would know this if you actually watched those fights.
I knew Overeem way before I started watching MMA as I was a huge K-1 fan. He got finished there as well.
If he was so good back then, why he wasn’t the champ and lost so many fights?

Jan is someone who really found direction after his slump entering the UFC. He was a champion already, but after dropping so many fights in a division ruled by the immortal jones he still found the grit to climb back up the ranks. He had an opportunity and seized it, understanding much better than Reyes how quickly your window can evaporate. Reyes gave jones a hell of a run, but the mountain shifts. It’s always a new climb.

I understand that. My point is you can’t discredit someone’s wins just because their opponents were at a certain age.

Like when Stipe beat Werdum, Overeem, Arlovski, JDS they were still very much in their primes.
Lol, here we go again... :p
He went to a split decision with Jacare less then a year ago. He’s the same fighter. This prime bullshit is getting ridiculous
It’s not bullshit just because you don’t understand it. And tbf, there’s a ton of factors that go into it, it’s not always cut and dry. But saying fighters like Overeem and Arlovski were in their prime when Stipe beat them is crazy talk. Arlovski considered retirement, but was dissuaded by Greg Jackson who thought that he and Winkeljohn could still salvage Arlovski.

You can’t just look at wins and losses. Who are they beating, how, how did they fight/what changes have they made in their game, etc., all play a role. These are the pieces of context you keep missing.

Lol, here we go again... :p

It’s not bullshit just because you don’t understand it. And tbf, there’s a ton of factors that go into it, it’s not always cut and dry. But saying fighters like Overeem and Arlovski were in their prime when Stipe beat them is crazy talk. Arlovski considered retirement, but was dissuaded by Greg Jackson who thought that he and Winkeljohn could still salvage Arlovski.

You can’t just look at wins and losses. Who are they beating, how, how did they fight/what changes have they made in their game, etc., all play a role. These are the pieces of context you keep missing.
I understand these arguments perfectly and I don’t agree with them at all, because they don’t add up. It all goes down to:

you win=prime
you lose= not prime

I knew Overeem way before I started watching MMA as I was a huge K-1 fan. He got finished there as well.
If he was so good back then, why he wasn’t the champ and lost so many fights?

Overeem consistently lost to good fighters before he went on his roided diet.

Claiming deflated Reem who struggles even with medicore guys today (and has had his brains scrambled a dozen + times) is "as good as ever" is just retarded.
He has none of that confidence and lost a lot of his "athleticism" that he showed in K-1 either.

Also you just confirmed you started watching MMA this decade, as Overeem's K-1 prominence was only around 2009.
Here is my suggestion: go actually watch MMA from the 2000s before talking about it with faux authority.

It's almost like people don't decline at the same time, are you going to claim Bernard Hopkins was in his prime at the age or 48 ?

I understand these arguments perfectly and I don’t agree with them at all, because they don’t add up. It all goes down to:

you win=prime
you lose= not prime
But that just isn’t true. I get that can be the Sherdog mentality sometimes. I’m sorry I missed your tag in your Prime thread btw. You say I use prime as an excuse, but I don’t think I do.
It’s not just about who is older, or who’s had more fights. Someone like Jan who is either out of prime or leaving prime can still beat a fighter that’s somewhat green, and rated more highly than they should be, like Reyes. Both Reyes and Costa were thought to be better than they were, imho. Which is why I didn’t pick them to win.
518332-17352476.png

512649-17352475.png

I never said he hit his peak last year. I said he peaked late. The evidence being he won 8 of his last 9 fights compared to how he started off his UFC career with a sub.500 record.

37years old is no ones prime.
This prime concept is flawed as it is. Maybe he’s the best he’s ever been right now. Maybe was better when he was the KSW. Maybe he got worse and then got better again. Or we shouldn’t try to find a 3 year window in fighters career and call it prime but look at their careers in general

It's a skill based sport. Athleticism matters, of course, but it's why a lot of old dudes know how to deal with physically superior new guys or why they have such a tough time retiring - cause this is when you know the most shit and have your mindset in check.

You can throw in all kinds of insults about the LHW division, but Jan's just found his groove and is still physically capable.

I understand that. My point is you can’t discredit someone’s wins just because their opponents were at a certain age.

Like when Stipe beat Werdum, Overeem, Arlovski, JDS they were still very much in their primes.

Oh ok i missed that, yea that's a good point. Fighters have different primes, also some stay in their prime a lot longer.

I don't know if i agree with all of those regarding stipe. Certainly arlovski was a shell of his former self.

Werdum, overeem and JDS were still top level HWs and solid wins. I'd have stipe beating them all at any stage of their career except maybe prime JDS.

Back