Prime BJ Penn could beat both of these guys, no?

I havent seen kebab face adversity yet so i'm open to BJ eating him up on the ground and either submitting him off his back or getting to his feet quick for a quick knockout. The conor fight would look more like the nick diaz fight.

I'm a huge BJ fan. He was my favorite fighter for a long time... but you guys who think he beats Khabib are fucking crazy. See GSP/BJ II and think about positions. Khabib hits TDs from the clinch and passes quickly and proficiently to half guard or side control. He maintains excellent posture and often stands over grounded opponents who he stuffs against the cage- parallel to the cage so they can't wall walk and he won't let BJ hit that slick jailbreak. It would be a brutal beatdown, and BJ can take punishment and is too proud to turtle up.

He would have one round to take Conor down and choke him before becoming a punching bag. I don't see it. Conor's TDD is excellent and BJs wrestling is very hit and miss. Basically he took down guys who didn't think BJ would try to take them down or guys who were severely overmatched- those conditions won't apply with Conor.

Watch some old tape. It puts things in perspective.

BJ's boxing was elite -- against guys that didn't know what a jab was.

BJ's BJJ was elite -- during a time in which fighters still got armbarred in the guard, pounded out from mount, and the Gracies were thought of as the world's best grapplers.

The games evolved in both areas. Striking is at an obviously different level today. Grappling has evolved to a different level too.

BJ's static jab-cross with no angles or footwork boxing and no kicking would suck today and his outdated grappling skillset would just be pretty good.

The game's evolved. Khabib and Conor destroy him.
Indeed, this is the key word: Watch... the ol´tapes...

OGs were doin´things back in the days, but who was payin´attention...

Other times, other Org, other fight configuration that chiseled some specific skill sets.

I don’t know... the game is different, the “mixed” martial arts aspect the. Was 1 -2 disciplines and now a days they implement so many different angles from every possible discipline

lol God No

BJ couldnt handle being on the bottom against GSP no way he survives Khabib on the ground and BJ always had shit fight IQ he would try and stand with Conor and get KO'd.
BJ never even got dropped in a fight until a kick from Yair dropped him at the very end of his career, and he fought as high as HW. I think Conor is the better striker, but no way he ko’s BJ.

who knows?

The fact a motivated BJ can jump out of a swimming pool means he beats both those chumps 9 times out of 10.

Grappled quite a lil bit vs Machida, was fatty, and didnt gas that much...IIRC

You're right. BJ has way more tools than Conor but style wise he might struggle. Same with Khabib. BJ has never in his entire career come from behind to win (as far as I remember). Conor is dynamite early on. Prime BJ was one of the most talented fighters to ever live.

If he takes Conor down he could sub him in a dozen different ways.

Aka : rear naked choke

BJ had unvelievable back mount and RNC. he did not have a particularly diverse BJJ game but what he did he did with mastery.

They say the eskimos have a thousand words for snow....*

* I assume this is the philosophy at play here.

And you didn't give an example of him following a wrestling-focused gameplan for an entire fight. Don't be a pedantic little hussy...
oopzz...almost forgot the Fitch & Gomi fights... where u at, hussy?

Last edited:
I know. You're typing, lol.
giphy.gif

You're right. BJ has way more tools than Conor but style wise he might struggle. Same with Khabib. BJ has never in his entire career come from behind to win (as far as I remember). Conor is dynamite early on. Prime BJ was one of the most talented fighters to ever live.

I firmly believe Penn had a good enough chin to withstand some of those bombs and wouldn't have played the range game. Conor would be up against the fence and Penn could get him down and cut through his guard like butter. Could Conor win? Of course, but Penn did outbox prime Nick before gassing. I think he would have a good shot in his prime.

With Khabib, that cardio is a huge issue.

I don't think Conor could hurt Prime Penn's iron chin. I think Conor gets rocked like vs Diaz, but worse, and gets finished either by TKO or submission.
I'd give Khabib a bit better chance to win a decision against Penn, but I'd still give it to Penn at least 6-7/10 times due to BJ's elite TDD. Khabib has no realistic way to finish him.

Watch some old tape. It puts things in perspective.

BJ's boxing was elite -- against guys that didn't know what a jab was.

BJ's BJJ was elite -- during a time in which fighters still got armbarred in the guard, pounded out from mount, and the Gracies were thought of as the world's best grapplers.

The games evolved in both areas. Striking is at an obviously different level today. Grappling has evolved to a different level too.

BJ's static jab-cross with no angles or footwork boxing and no kicking would suck today and his outdated grappling skillset would just be pretty good.

The game's evolved. Khabib and Conor destroy him.
Jus´curious...Would you say that Gomi or Uno knew nuthin about Jabz?

Last edited:
IIRC, I had BJ winning the 1st Rd vs Gomi, then realistically losing the 2nd Rd & the momentum (with Gomi stuffind TDs and connecting with jabz).. Then BJ took him down pretty quickly in the 3rd and got the RNC

Who knows. I’m willing to bet that prime BJ wins round 1 though.

Back