Prime Anderson Silva vs Prime Wanderlei Silva.....in PRIDE......

I'm not saying you're wrong..........but all you dudes so dismissively picking Anderson might not have watched prime Wand live in Pride.
I mean, Wanderlei's chin would let him be in the fight, and if he got on top of Anderson he'd be able to keep him grounded, but Anderson's precision might just be too precise for Wand.

<Goldie11>

Silva no problem. Silva wins every time

Silva lost to terrible fighters in pride so wanderlei would have cornered him then murdered him. Anderson is way better in a cage

Silva lost to terrible fighters in pride so wanderlei would have cornered him then murdered him. Anderson is way better in a cage

I don't think it's that so much as Anderson just happened to peak when he was in the UFC

Stylistically his muay thai-heavy striking should work at least as well in a ring. He used the cage to his advantage but certainly not to the extent that some of the guys with greco-roman backgrounds did

I think prime Anderson evades and outranges prime Wanderlei, in either Pride or UFC

I'm not saying you're wrong..........but all you dudes so dismissively picking Anderson might not have watched prime Wand live in Pride.
We're talking about a PRIME Anderson, who is arguably the most complete mma striker EVER, with a GRANITE chin, who would have a 4" reach advantage against an overly aggressive brawler with poor technique, that had been rocked (or dropped) in 4 of his fights BEFORE even going to PRIDE.

I don't think it's that so much as Anderson just happened to peak when he was in the UFC

Stylistically his muay thai-heavy striking should work at least as well in a ring. He used the cage to his advantage but certainly not to the extent that some of the guys with greco-roman backgrounds did

I think prime Anderson evades and outranges prime Wanderlei, in either Pride or UFC

Anderson isn't really a traditional muay thai striker. He uses lots of wild movement and prefers fighting off his back foot to counter strike. Giant cage really helped him

Anderson isn't really a traditional muay thai striker. He uses lots of wild movement and prefers fighting off his back foot to counter strike. Giant cage really helped him

True but I think his reach advantage and as you said wild movement would still let him stay out of Wanderlei's range, even in a ring

I think a strong wrestler still presents the most trouble for him... compared to the Sonnen and Weidman fights and even the DC fight, Wanderlei would fight Anderson's kind of fight

No disrespect but We watched him get fucked up by hendo and cro cop. This is Anderson’s fight all day everyday. No way wanderlie catches Anderson with a hook. He eats straight punches every time he tries. Also kind of gotta go with Anderson in the clinch as well.

True but I think his reach advantage and as you said wild movement would still let him stay out of Wanderlei's range, even in a ring

I think a strong wrestler still presents the most trouble for him... Wanderlei would fight Anderson's kind of fight

most likely, but his movement gets you in trouble in the ring when you get trapped in a corner or the ref slaps a yellow card on you

and Wanderlei might not be a wrestler but he is much stronger

most likely, but his movement gets you in trouble in the ring when you get trapped in a corner or the ref slaps a yellow card on you

and Wanderlei might not be a wrestler but he is much stronger

I dunno about much stronger, prime Anderson was deceptively really strong in the clinch, but Wanderlei could definitely bully Anderson I agree

I dunno I just believe in Anderson's evasiveness I guess? He was one of the best I've seen at avoiding significant damage when backed up against the cage, so I think the same would apply in a corner.

I think he would lure Wanderlei into throwing a big punch, evade and counter... if I had to guess how the fight would end

I Wanderlei would have trashed him. He was bigger and had a real killer instinct. Id see it going similar to weidman 1 minus the taunting, he'd slip 2, block 1 slip another maybe and then get caught by a nasty overhand or quick thai clinch knee etc.

I dunno about much stronger, prime Anderson was deceptively really strong in the clinch, but Wanderlei could definitely bully Anderson I agree

I dunno I just believe in Anderson's evasiveness I guess? He was one of the best I've seen at avoiding significant damage when backed up against the cage, so I think the same would apply in a corner.

I think he would lure Wanderlei into throwing a big punch, evade and counter... if I had to guess how the fight would end

It's pretty different, you can always circle out against the fence and it'll support your weight if you lean into it. In a corner you have to turn your opponent or force them back, and on the ropes nothing will support your weight.

I love Anderson he was brilliant, laid the blueprint for mma strikers for generations to come but in Pride, Wanderlei was very effective.

Anderson picks loopy punch wand apart

It's pretty different, you can always circle out against the fence and it'll support your weight if you lean into it. In a corner you have to turn your opponent or force them back, and on the ropes nothing will support your weight.

I love Anderson he was brilliant, laid the blueprint for mma strikers for generations to come but in Pride, Wanderlei was very effective.

Yeah but the history of Pride (not to mention boxing and kickboxing) is littered with examples of superior strikers turning the tables when cornered... I think Wanderlei is too hot headed and Anderson can definitely lure him into overextending himself and leaving himself open to a counter

Well, here is a common opponent. Vitor.

5AGH.gif
ouqn4rpssg901.gif

Back