Prime Ali wrecks either Klit brother

Why is it hard to believe? In 1978 Ali had boxed 59 professional fights in 17 years. (1968 and 1969 not counted).

Wladimir has been a pro for 18 years now and has 64 fights under his belt.

- looks pretty even, especially if you consider that Ali would've likely boxed about 5-6 fights in 1967 - 1969.
It's tough to believe because I'm guilty of two general (mis)perceptions:
1) Fighters from the 1960s-1970s fought more frequently than fighters of today
2) Ali was taking on all comers while Wlad's career had been carefully managed to give him favorable matchups until a few years ago

Pre-war Ali would be the Cruiserweight champ today. That's as far as I'm going.

Pre-war Ali would be the Cruiserweight champ today. That's as far as I'm going.

He was at his best at 210-212 pounds. He wouldn't be allowed to fight at cruserweight.

Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson and Rocky Marciano would be better candidates for that weight class.
Maybe Ali would start at CW, but sooner or later he'd clean out the division - I mean Steve Cunningham and Marco Huck would be no matches for him. I think he'd do the same that David Haye did, only with a significant difference.

I think Ali was the most over-rated fighter in history. Was he good, yes, he was damn good but greater than Hammerin Henry Armstrong, Ray Robinson or Willie Pep? Not even close. Ali was a mouth piece for a generation. No one will ever convince me that the fights with Liston or Foreman were not fixed.

I agree with this acessment of Ali vs. either Klitschko brother

I think Ali was the most over-rated fighter in history. Was he good, yes, he was damn good but greater than Hammerin Henry Armstrong, Ray Robinson or Willie Pep? Not even close. Ali was a mouth piece for a generation. No one will ever convince me that the fights with Liston or Foreman were not fixed.

I agree with this acessment of Ali vs. either Klitschko brother

That blog starts off with this and them says earnie shavers has a better chance against either brother than Ali. I assume it is a parody of bleacher report.

"A lot of fans and experts know that Muhammad Ali would have not much chance against the Klitschko brothers (be it Wladimir Klitschko or Vitali Klitschko)."

Utter drivel.

Your post is hyperbole, trying to get clicks on your blog I guess.

I recommend people not clicking the link.

The notion that Ali could beat either Klits is the worst kind of misguided. Its nostalgia at it's worst. Virtually no athlete from forty years ago would be a dominant athlete today. That goes double for Mr. Ali. Training techniques, diet, the size of the athlete pool has raised the bar. Ali had trouble with a lot of fighters from his era. Ali consistently had a height and size advantage over his opponents, he would be drastically out sized against Wlad. Frazier, who today would be considered small at CW or LHW gave him all he could handle and more. So did Foreman, a man that is much slower and smaller than Wlad, with even less boxing acumen. Ali was the greatest of his era, and notable for things outside the ring, but if he fought Wlad today he would get absolutely crushed.

Finally someone with some sense

Prime Ali wouldn't stand a fucking change against Klits and that's a fact. Everyone saying anything else don't know anything about boxing.

g1330140098218422016.jpg

The best indication would be the betting lines the bookmakers would have for an Ali vs Klits fight. If your really think they would be so much in favour of Ali as some you make it out to be, you are dellusional. If real money is on the line, the people tend to figure out who they put their money on. And I bet that most would put their money on the Klits.

Comparing fighters from different eras in boxing is a fools game. There is no way to tell how someone from one era would fare in another era. Hell, it's hard enough to predict fights within the current era. You're talking decades here, not just some Floyd vs Pac shit.

God knows why Vitali is always brought up in these discussions/ comparisons with great fighters from the past. We're talking about a guy who's legacy is based off of a losing effort to a rusty, out of shape fighter who already had one foot out of the door. He's pretty much done fuck all outside of that besides quit against Chris Byrd and cherry pick stiffs instead of actual rated contenders.

Yes, Vitali busted him up and KO'ed him after some early scares. Your point?

Oh, you mean the Wladimir Klitschko fight? Fine, he got blown away and had to go away and reinvent himself, which he did. Now he hasn't been beaten for 10 years and has pretty much cleared out the division.

My statement stands, unless you want to challenge me that early career vulnerabilities are taken into consideration? I thought it was a given that we meant prime vs. prime?

Wlad's "reinvention" as a fighter is almost entirely based on a strategy of initiating more clinches than he does punches. Referees have willingly allowed him to get away with this for a good six or seven years at this point, and the division has only gotten weaker since then.

God knows why Vitali is always brought up in these discussions/ comparisons with great fighters from the past. We're talking about a guy who's legacy is based off of a losing effort to a rusty, out of shape fighter who already had one foot out of the door. He's pretty much done fuck all outside of that besides quit against Chris Byrd and cherry pick stiffs instead of actual rated contenders.

Wlad's "reinvention" as a fighter is almost entirely based on a strategy of initiating more clinches than he does punches. Referees have willingly allowed him to get away with this for a good six or seven years at this point, and the division has only gotten weaker since then.

THANK YOU! Someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about. We are in BY FAR the weakest era for heavyweight fighters (it's been weak for many, many years). And because these two guys are bigger they can beat the legends of the past?! Boxing is much more than size and strength.

Exactly ^^

When it's comes to fighting within a weight class, PbF said it best, skills pay the bills not size.

THANK YOU! Someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about. We are in BY FAR the weakest era for heavyweight fighters (it's been weak for many, many years). And because these two guys are bigger they can beat the legends of the past?! Boxing is much more than size and strength.

Part of the reason we are in the "weakest era" is because a few competent ultra heavyweight fighters are easily beating the shit out of guys who would have been huge heavyweights forty years ago.

As size and athleticism has become more dominating, it's become much harder to beat a guy who is vastly bigger and stronger ... AND has strong technical skills.

Blown-up cruiserweights don't have a chance any more, which has made the talent pool much smaller.

Vitali

A 50% chance

Boxers today train different than boxers from other eras. One can say that boxers today just have different training conventions, more strength and more power as well. Then I start thinking how guys like Marciano can fight for a crazy amount of rounds and still keep going. Ali fought legends and gets plenty of Respect, Kliksko fought some great competition as well but he's also fought in an era where he has gone way too long unchallenged by any major legend so he will be seen in a dimmer light than someone like Ali who's fought Joe, Holmes, and etc.

Ali beats both of them. Vitali a bit easier. Wlad could give him problems for a few rounds, but Ali takes him out too mid way.

Back