Priest lives a year without god... I think we know what happens

Now he's got herpes and a gambling problem. Thanks, atheism!

"you're welcome"
OicPDvH.gif

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

When you're in hell, you can ask Epicureus how that worked out for him.

Yes, I am sure Epicurus wrote that in Shakespearean English. :p

Good and evil alike are matters of perception as mankind is unable to see the complete timeline of consequences; ergo, an omnipotent being would have to fulfill the roles of God and Lucifer, perceptively.

On a sidenote, the aforementioned Epicurus' quote has always struck me as being "odd" when compared to his other sayings. In essence, the guy was a moral relativist that only cared about the pursuit of pleasure and feelings.

This means nothing, it's just reaching for a way to justify the fact "God" doesn't make any sense in any of the major religions so people fall back on "God did it" and "Well only God knows" and "It's beyond mans capability to understand" which is just code for "I have no idea but I really really want to believe it so I'll grasp onto these straws."

When you're in hell, you can ask Epicureus how that worked out for him.

If the best you can come up with is threats of a fairy tale naughty step your belief system is broken.

I've said it before I have no problem with people thinking "Well this book has some cool ideas on how to live my life" or "We'll there may be a afterlife of some kind out there" but people believing in what are obviously man made religions that have the fingerprints of up tight old men all over them, then I just despair, any adult who believes in fairy tales is no different than a Brony or Ancient Alien seeker(tho there's more chance of Aliens existing than god to be fair to the AA guys).

You mean Helheim, for those who died of old age or disease, and so couldnt go to Valhalla like those killed in battle?

not all who died in battle went to vahalla. half went there and half went to F

This means nothing, it's just reaching for a way to justify the fact "God" doesn't make any sense in any of the major religions so people fall back on "God did it" and "Well only God knows" and "It's beyond mans capability to understand" which is just code for "I have no idea but I really really want to believe it so I'll grasp onto these straws."

there is a big difference between this, and things that can ONLY be attributed to God.
I don't see the church calling quantum entanglement or dark energy "well God did it/knows"

Free will hu?

Do you realize that the free will goes goes against one of the propierties of "God"? Theres actually free will, or God is not omncient. Both cannot be.

free will is christian belief through and through. God knows everything. He permits people to have free will.
The site you are copying and pasting from are shit from a philosophical view

God has a free will
-Free will must be defined before the argument can be attempted. Does it mean to be able to choose anything--even something contrary to one's nature; or, does it mean being able to choose something consistent with one's nature?
-God is free to do whatever he desires. God is not free to act in a manner contrary to his nature. No Christian theologian teaches he does.

Entities with free will have non-determinate futures
-This is an assumption that has not been proven. A person can freely choose to act and have that act be known by God, but God knowing what a person freely chooses to do does not mean the person wasn’t free to choose it.
-The determination of a future event chosen by a free will restricts the future event to that choice because the person had freely made that choice. The person was free to choose it or something else, and the choice is determined at that time.

Omniscience entails foreknowledge
-What is foreknowledge? Knowing what will happen in the future by extrapolation or knowing by experience since God’s existence is everywhere, all the time? Foreknowledge then wouldn’t be a looking into the future but a knowing of the future free will choices of people

If an entity knows the future, the future is not non-determinate.
- Knowing what a person chooses to do does not mean the person has not freely chosen it. Whatever the person freely chooses to do is what is known. If the person would have chosen something different, that is what would have been known. So, the argument is invalid.

Religious indoctrination.

A child born to a religious family hasn't much chance of free thought.

They will be sent to church. They will grow up believing in a 'god'.

Now there's varying levels from fundamentalist to just curious belief.

Strangely enough Amish one of the more full on religions actually give their teens a chance to explore other beliefs with Rumspringa.

If only other religions did that.

lol, they give the amish a chance to live like the english.
the only religion i know of that says to kill anyone who converts to another relgion is Islam.

maybe you should think before you post

Wow. I was raised Adventist. A lot of nut cases in that religion, moreso than others.

yes, definitely more nutcases than islam. lets forget suicide bombings and flying planes into buildings and etc.

Seeing as how everyone is born Atheist, all pastors were once Atheists.

um, do you know what atheist is? an atheist does not believe God exists.
I would say a baby does not even know the concept of God.

Just one priest. Isn't that enough?

all men who fuck little boys are gay guys. whether they are priests, scout masters, hollywood producers, teachers, assistant football coaches, scary uncle
any gay guy with access to little boys and the opportunity to be alone with them and in a position of power

Christians and Jews maintain that God exists in the past, present and future. He is believed to be external to time yet has the ability to operate within time as he sees fit (Time is seen in a Christian worldview as a construct of God's making).

As for mankind's free will, most Christians believe God has foreknowledge of man's actions. But how does God's omniscience abrogate man's decision making process? Are you arguing that God's foreknowledge requires him to make decisions on man's behalf? I just ate some soup - are you saying that God decided it was time for me to eat?

im not saying gods is making decsions on behalf of anyone, im saying that if god is omniscient, he wouldve known that you were going to eat that soup, that means you were predestinated from the beginnng of your life to eat that soup. This does not mean god is making you do it, it means were were going to do it and he knew about it. if he knew about it then whats the point of free will? he gave us free will to do with our life what we "wanted" but at the same time, earth is just a "test", so we can earn our ticket to heaven or hell... if he knew righ from the start that you were going to be a priest, a lawer, a mass murdered a rapist, meaning that you were either "saved" from the beginning or you were doomed to go to hell... either way, the whole concept of being on earth to prove your self worthy to go to heaven is just doesnt make sense anymore...

Another example, someone is ill you are are praying for that person, if gods knows the future this means that in the future she is either healthy or dead, your prays were listned by god and he interfired and healed that person, well that means that the future that he knew, is not going to happen anymre, he changed the future, but if he changed the future, wouldnt he already had known that you guys were going to be praying for that person and tht he wouldve changed his mind and she would be saved? and what happened with that future where the person was dead? because you people had a choice of not praying for the ill person, and if you were not to pry, he wouldnt have intervined, and that person wouldve died, and she wouldnt exist in the future, but since you did, he intervined and saved that person well this means that out of the glue, in the future, someone who was giving as death all of the sudden shows up...

I see where you are taking this, and please try to reason my statment, if I did not make clear enough I will gve my best to do it again (since english isnt my first language)

Originally Posted by threelions View Post

-Epicurus

lol at this shithead.

lets get this straight
we have free will. we can do good or evil. without this choice there is no good and evil

if God stopped one rape, wouldn't he have to stop every rape?

If God came down and stopped evil from happening, wouldn't we all see God personally fidgeting with every evil situation???
then how do we have free will? we will not do things for good or evil, just behave exactly as God tells us to because he is in our face making it obvious that we can only do what he commands

thus,
free will is gone and so is good and evil. we might as well be animals who act purely out of instinct.

sad that people cannot easily see through the bullshit philosophy of epicurus (sp?)

um, do you know what atheist is? an atheist does not believe God exists.
I would say a baby does not even know the concept of God.

If you have not been told a fable you cannot possibly believe that fable. So by default all people are born without a belief in any deities.

free will is christian belief through and through. God knows everything. He permits people to have free will.
The site you are copying and pasting from are shit from a philosophical view

God has a free will
-Free will must be defined before the argument can be attempted. Does it mean to be able to choose anything--even something contrary to one's nature; or, does it mean being able to choose something consistent with one's nature?
-God is free to do whatever he desires. God is not free to act in a manner contrary to his nature. No Christian theologian teaches he does.

Entities with free will have non-determinate futures
-This is an assumption that has not been proven. A person can freely choose to act and have that act be known by God, but God knowing what a person freely chooses to do does not mean the person wasn

Originally Posted by threelions View Post

-Epicurus

lol at this shithead.

lets get this straight
we have free will. we can do good or evil. without this choice there is no good and evil

if God stopped one rape, wouldn't he have to stop every rape?

If God came down and stopped evil from happening, wouldn't we all see God personally fidgeting with every evil situation???
then how do we have free will? we will not do things for good or evil, just behave exactly as God tells us to because he is in our face making it obvious that we can only do what he commands

thus,
free will is gone and so is good and evil. we might as well be animals who act purely out of instinct.

sad that people cannot easily see through the bullshit philosophy of epicurus (sp?)

So then you believe those who think their prayers are answered are full of shit then, right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back