Pretty Good Highlight Reel On James Tony

Toney is one of the all time guys who's name is gonna coincide with the phrase "I loved watching that guy box." He was such a joy to watch. His evolution over time as well. Not sure which I'd pick as my favorite fight. Nunn was a good one, he had to chase that KO, Nunn was fast. The McCallum chess matches, some arguably losses, Jirov never had a chance but his unbreakable desire to take a beating gave Toney one of his best performances of his whole ccareer. I don't know how to rate the Holyfield fight, was there even any Real Deal left at that point?

Which are your guys favorite fights?
Jirov never had a chance?

Always will be the Jirov fight. I watched on TV live and went crazy at the end. Both guys were ready to die that night.

Was there live at Foxwoods. Honestly it was an incredible fight, best boxing fight I've seen in person, and one of the best overall I've seen.

Toney boxed him up, Jirov had spirit, but Toney was well in control whole fight.

Watching it live was hard to tell. To be fair I wasn't super close where you could see all the infighting but Jirov threw so much volume so I thought it was a closer fight. Even Freddie Roach did at the end when he said James needed to end it. Once Toney got the late knockdown I felt he had it but the judges had Toney winning wide from what I remember so I don't think it made much of a difference in the end.

Brilliant Boxer with a Hagler level chin. Def one of RJJ best wins imo even if Toney apparently didn't train as much for it as he should have. Also shows how good he was going distance with prime RJJ. Wish Toney had more discipline and stayed at lhw though or even super middle.

Yeah that Jirov fight was incredible. Toney style to me often looked like he was lazy/ not trying hard in some of his fights. But I think that was his confidence in his supreme defence though to let him stand in front of opponents and nonchalantly slip/duck/roll with the punches.

Jyrov vs Toney is one of my favorite fights, their styles were made for each other. . Could of taken place in a phone booth.

Back