1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

pressure to compete?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ewo, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ewo

ewo White Belt

does anyone else out there feel the pressure to compete in tournaments but doesn't?

there are alot of competitors in my school and a sibling who also competes but i never compete in tournaments anymore. I did one competition and it was fun but nowadays i just dont have the time to train wholeheartedly and do a tournament because of my current job, my endeavour to find another job/career (recent university grad) and my belief i'm not that good.

i feel that as a blue belt, i should be working towards tournaments and representing my school but i can't because i just don't feel the drive or have the time to do tournaments. can anyone else relate to my situation or am i being a big wuss?

2. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

well you must be quite good if youre a blue belt

3. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

It really is a personal and ego based thing. I spent 10 years of my life playing team based sports. If there was an error, that were more chances to make up for it the rest of the game. In Bjj, you basically get your one chance, and that screws with my mind. Honestly I do it because I am still very competitive, and want to really test my skills and see what I need to improve on (other people are learning different things than the people you train with everyday)

Plus it's a fun culture to be a part of. Lots of respect and smiles to be had these tournaments, even after defeats/wins. Shoot, I had great conversations at us open with people I submitted at my last tourney. Even hung out a bit with the guy I lost to in the absolute division. It's just good times, and unless you're trying to make a career out of it, just have fun, or don't go at all. Enjoy the sport!