Pressure Points

I'm pretty sure its banned under unified rules with small joint manipulation.

You have the one behind the ear you can dig your knuckle in tomake then raise their neck for a choke. I recall fedor mentioning that one a while back.

I was shown some by a dude who worked in Corrective Services (jail).
Behind the ear.
Under the jaw.
Between forearm muscles (radial nerve?)
Inside thigh.

They are very uncomfortable but I'd have reservations about their effectiveness on a fighter. And actually implimenting them during a fight - I doubt it lol.

if I remember correctly all the pressure points are banned with the small joint attacks (fingers, toes, etc.). so they are only good for self-defence and such.
My last few years of grappling were spent training bjj (although I was still predominently an amatuer wrestler).

Anyway, I'd roll with bjj guys and notice how lazy they were with spreading their fingers apart - (in wrestling you are told to keep your fingers together so they don't get grabbed and snapped like twigs) - so for a laugh I'd grab a finger, or the whole hand and give it a squeeze (not too hard, just enough to be uncomfortable). Next time rolling you couldn't part their fingers with a blow torch - lesson learned.

Here's the problem: not only are most pressure parts hard to locate, but they're in slightly different spots on different people, and some people are immune to them. So they don't seem that reliable to me.

Pressure points work, and we've actually been taught how and when to strike a few at my Gym. For example, we were working counters to the hook knee, and goes a little like this.

Fighter A throws hook knee. Fighter B thrusts their hip sideways into the thigh. The pointy hip bone of Fighter B hits a nerve/pressure point in the meaty part of the thigh, and it is cripplingly painful if done correctly.

So, I guess what you are asking is, would trying something like this be feasible on Shane Carwin or Brock Lesner?

treknobabble29.jpg

Probably, not.

brock-lesnar-vs-frank-mir-video.jpg

:icon_chee

Last edited:
The thing in the first post looks bad. He's telling you to strike with your last two knuckles, and why would you attack a spot like that if you have that kind of precision? Blast them in the face or something...

One vital point that really sucks to have attacked is in the armpit. Feels really weird.

For those that train TMA or other self-defense styles, is there any practical application to sport MMA? Consider the MMA gloves and the fact that everyone already knows about the chin/jaw, back of the head, temple, liver, etc.. Im talking uncommon ones, such as

YouTube - Pressure Point Strike, Bicept nerve punch

or is this just bullshido?

If you're opp is keyed and/or tense it diminshes the effectiveness of such techniques but armbars/neckcranks/bicep-calf slicers/knee-on-belly/body triangle etc ...thats what they are....pressure point attacks.

If you're thinking Spock or Steven Seagal type shit then......:icon_lol:

If you're thinking Spock or Steven Seagal type shit then.....
What do you mean?
It's like, "just stand there, now do this, wait for me to go like this..didn't work this time. Have to try again". lol

What do you mean?
It's like, "just stand there, now do this, wait for me to go like this..didn't work this time. Have to try again". lol

The funniest was when i met this Aikido guy.
He said Punch me.....Fuck...OK....slower....NO...SLOWER !!!

Rolled my eyes and said any slower and im gonna have to send you a telegram.

:icon_lol:

The thing about pressure point strikes is that it requires precision to execute. If you have the skill to jab to that small spot behind the ear you would be able to land much more devistating shots at will. Pressure points work if you want to disable an opponent quickly and not leave any lasting damage to him/her. I used to bounce my friend's parties and that sweet spot at the back of their arm pit would put them out of comission quickly, this move is illegal in mma because it counts as a pinch but quite effective as a consession hold.

There is a nerve under your cheek bone. If you push around your own face you will find it. A good way to use it is to drive the flat side of your hand into it. What it does is cause enough pain to subdue someone but in a fight what will happen is that people will try to move it which opens up armbars and whatever else.
I use it because it's sly and no-one calls me on it.

that bicep punch looks like a horrible idea. YOu shouldn't be punching wiht your two smaller knuckles...what is you hit his elbow and break mess up your knuckles?

Also while he was busy trying to punch a guy in the bicep there's a good chance he would be force fed a left straight or 3.

There is a nerve under your cheek bone. If you push around your own face you will find it. A good way to use it is to drive the flat side of your hand into it. What it does is cause enough pain to subdue someone but in a fight what will happen is that people will try to move it which opens up armbars and whatever else.
I use it because it's sly and no-one calls me on it.

I guess you mean the trigeminal nerve. Pain there is ranked among the worst pain a person can experience.

Trigeminal neuralgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There several common uncommon pressure points on the body that just don't get target much anymore in boxing and not at all in mma. Barchial artery, heart punch, lung punches on the torso. Those three work even with gloves. There are a couple of 3 hit strikes that would work, but I don't think they are really worth the training time for MMA.

Back