pressure point sub defense

FStep

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
i was rolling with a new guy today and i kept getting him in the guillotin and he tapped pretty quick until he started pressing in between my ribs with his fingers everytime i got the choke on him which forced me to let go ... is this even legal in bjj if so whats a good way to stop it

pressure points are really inafective i have found, if you cant switch your body position somehow then just sink the sub in even deeper. dont be broken by minor pain, true they are sometimes very uncomfortable but not enough to thwart a good sub. simple rule if the guy makes you hurt...hurt him worse. he will submit. and yes from my experience they are illegal in gi and no-gi tourney's.

sink the choke harder... If you have the guillotine it should only take 4-10 seconds for him to pass out. Endure the pain and then tell him when he wakes up not to do that stupid pressure point shit anymore.

I was showing Kimura to a class of Kungs fools once, and one guy i demonstrated on started pinching me under the armpit and said "But i will just do this to you" and i said, "What would you rather have? A pinched bit of skin or a destroyed shoulder?" He got the point pretty fast when i applied the pressure.

Just do the sub properly and you will win the war of pressure poins.

i find that approach so annoying. the classic well you have my neck or arm in a perilous situation but i'll escape it by tickiling you move. i had a kid grab my thumb while i was choking him and start to twist it so i let go of the choke a touch and face cranked him. didn't feel bad about it at all since he had no qualms with wanting to dislocate my thumb during sparring.

batman69 said:
i find that approach so annoying. the classic well you have my neck or arm in a perilous situation but i'll escape it by tickiling you move. i had a kid grab my thumb while i was choking him and start to twist it so i let go of the choke a touch and face cranked him. didn't feel bad about it at all since he had no qualms with wanting to dislocate my thumb during sparring.

you have to make him pay for doing something as gay as that. grabbing the fingers isn't just dirty, it's illegal. hope it was a good crank. :p

i guess i could've toughed it out with the ribs thing just didn't feel like it being we were just sparring but what if someone does that on your neck...

i still find the best way to get out of a knee bar is to take your other foot and stick your toes right in the choad pressure point. jk

but seriously... the only time pressure points work is on an untrained wuss.... and event then your pushing it.... suck it up and submit him through the pain.

Pressure points are mostly bs. Pain in itself is not dangerous, not breathing or breaking a joint is. If you have a high pain threshold it's even more ineffective. Just sink the choke in tighter. Consider this streetfighting analogy... if you armbar someone an he bites your calf... who lets go first? You with his teeth in your calf or him with a broken arm?

batman69 said:

When I do the escape (dropping them on their opposite shoulder to relieve the guillotine and using my forearm to put pressure on their neck) I often use my other hands to pry their fingers loose to free my head. I'm not trying to dislocate anything, just trying to encourage them that they don't have me and to let go.

Should I not be trying to pry their fingers free? I've never had anyone complain about it...

aaron_mag said:
When I do the escape (dropping them on their opposite shoulder to relieve the guillotine and using my forearm to put pressure on their neck) I often use my other hands to pry their fingers loose to free my head. I'm not trying to dislocate anything, just trying to encourage them that they don't have me and to let go.

Should I not be trying to pry their fingers free? I've never had anyone complain about it...

there is a difference between pulling the fingers away and isolating the thumb then trying to twist it off. you should try hooking your hand under their arm though it will be more effective.

suck it up dude..there are very few presure points that can de damage..like if they shuve 2 fingers into the point where your jaw connects that can snap it lose..which sucks. As far as ones on ur neck or ribs just choke the shit outa him...the more he pokes the tighter you get. I used to kimura this guy and he would allways posture up and shove his fingers into my neck..which in turn pissed me off so i would just push harder. Presure points wont break and or incompasitate you, so ignore them and grapple on

aaron_mag said:

Peeling off the fingers is ok cuz you aren't twisting them. Also the fingers being peeled off as a unit ensures the safety of your opponent. Ain't cheap. Grabbing one finger or the thumb and twisting is totally bull.

As to the question of pain. Flex your ribs, the muscles there should be thick enough to make this cheap move not worth doing. Or you can say" No brain, no pain! " and tap out his b!tch-@$$!

FStep said:
he started pressing in between my ribs with his fingers everytime i got the choke on him which forced me to let go ...

You are a gigantic pussy.

batman69 said:
there is a difference between pulling the fingers away and isolating the thumb then trying to twist it off. you should try hooking your hand under their arm though it will be more effective.

I'll start trying that. Thanks.

stick ur finger in their butthole. thats the best pressure point to defeat ur opponent. honestly though, you just gotta suck up the pain when they do that.

SpartanWarrior said:
stick ur finger in their butthole. thats the best pressure point to defeat ur opponent. honestly though, you just gotta suck up the pain when they do that.

lol.
nobody tried pulling a pressure point on me yet, but i think i'd be pretty pissed off. seems like a bitch move

Back