President Obama Wants To Make Two Year College Free To All If They Work It Off

I was referring to my out-of-pocket expenses . . . the district my girls attend is not part of an incorporated town/city so there is no city sales tax to support the school. Regardless, it's one of the fastest growing school systems in the state. Just seems like we're always being asked for money for something. Thankfully, most of it is covered by grants and fundraisers though, so it could be worse.

I was just curious after reading your post and all the free education comments

We went the private school route so I can relate, although I've never heard of a public school like you described.

I don't believe throwing more money into education will help these kids. IMO, they need some things money can't buy.

Believe what you want, as far as solutions go. Just don't go around saying there aren't any problems.

I was just curious after reading your post and all the free education comments

We went the private school route so I can relate, although I've never heard of a public school like you described.

It's in a rural area NW of OKC and has a fairly high number of housing subdivisions within the district so it is being supported by property taxes. I think there are maybe 4 or 5 gas stations/convenience stores, a Sonic and one or two sit down restaurants. The growth has been crazy lately.

Our girls have been attending it for the last 7+ years and since 2007 the district has built 3 new elementary schools and one new middle school.

I believe there are 6 total elementary schools, an intermediate school (5th/6th grades), the junior high, a freshman academy, and then the high school.

The problem with entitlements is people don't value them. High school should cost a bit of money. It'd solve a lot of problems if families realized that education has real value and isn't just a glorified day care.

Other than people who don't have any money of course. they can just be a permanent underclass.

Cant get a good job, cant afford to send kids to school, kids don't get a good job, etc.

Just think of how well informed of voters they would be too, with no education. None of that gubmint brainwashing.

Over react much?

Has he said how he'd expect kids to pay off this free tuition? What good is a two-year degree by itself anyway?

He should include trade schools and technical colleges too.
He's the Helen Lovejoy of the WR.

I'd find it easier to support this idea if Vo-Techs were included. Something where kids can actually be taught a skill or a trade without the unnecessary classroom junk. Just teach them what they need to know in order to be a mill-worker, welder, pipe-fitter, plumber, electrician, etc. and let them then go be a journeyman and really learn from the more experienced in their field.

That already exists. Its called an apprenticeship.

$1000 per text-book on the tax-payers dime, can you feel it?

Yea, left in the dust of debt if we don't do something like this. How much waste do we already spend on the K-12. This is nothing more than an attempted bailout for the 2 year colleges that aren't producing shit.

how can you be such a conservative shill that you are anti education? just amazing.

There is already a lot of financial assistance for lower income students...through MAP, Pell, etc. I don't see how these heroics mean much. It kind of reminds me of the state of Illinois and Pat Quinn pushing his progressive "fair tax"... Which was an excuse to tax the higher class more and help out the lower class... All the while ignoring earned income tax credits...which is another way of implementing a "fair tax"

Just another diversion to look like a hero.

Woah that is not true at all. Like 30-40% of my graduating class in high school went to http://www.ncc.edu/ after high school. It's a top notch place. I'd say 80-90% of the instructors were adjuncts from Hofstra, which is right down the street.

Many people who go away to college also take courses in the summer there. And many adults who want to go back to school go there, for some of the good 2 year programs they have...X-ray tech, whatever.

Some people drop out after a semester or two. Many graduate and then go to another school in the State Uni of NY system. Plenty of the people from my high school did exactly that.

i know a ton of people who went to cc after highschool and then transfered to a university, it's very common. the cc in ventura is actually pretty nice. you see a lot of people in 2 year programs and like you said a lot of adults go there at night to complete their degrees.

conservatives hate this for one reason and one reason only, obama suggested it. they are such SHEEP it's pathetic. their hatred for obama completely blinds them.

if anyone is wondering why america has fallen behind in the world, read the comments by these idiot conservatives! anti education because it was obama's idea. he could cure cancer tomorrow and they would be against it. everything he's done, anything positive, they shit all over it. even killing bin laden, the first thing they did was say seal team 6 did it, not obama. you tea tards are DESTROYING this country because you are flat out sheep.

Other than people who don't have any money of course. they can just be a permanent underclass.

Cant get a good job, cant afford to send kids to school, kids don't get a good job, etc.

Just think of how well informed of voters they would be too, with no education. None of that gubmint brainwashing.

Which wouldn't be an issue if the parent and the children took the first 13 years of state funded education seriously, now would it?

if anyone is wondering why america has fallen behind in the world, read the comments by these idiot conservatives! anti education because it was obama's idea. he could cure cancer tomorrow and they would be against it. everything he's done, anything positive, they shit all over it. even killing bin laden, the first thing they did was say seal team 6 did it, not obama. you tea tards are DESTROYING this country because you are flat out sheep.

Anti-education?!? lol. Slimy liberal word games. Who is anti-education? People are anti-let the government pay to let people sleep thru 2 more years of school.

This country is destroying itself. The tea party isn't very powerful.

Anti-education?!? lol. Slimy liberal word games. Who is anti-education? People are anti-let the government pay to let people sleep thru 2 more years of school.

right, that way poor people can't get higher education, which follows what you guys want, all the breaks to the rich, and the working class, YOU, get the shaft.

again you are the reason this country is going to shit.

god forbid we find a way to fund more education for our people, god freaking forbid. :rolleyes:

Which wouldn't be an issue if the parent and the children took the first 13 years of state funded education seriously, now would it?

Ah, so already poor people get to be fucked. Great plan. If children wanted an education, maybe they wouldn't have been born to poor parents.

You are. You are literally advocating stopping education for poor people.

This country is destroying itself. The tea party isn't very powerful.

the tea party shut down the government, the tea party has a lot of control over our congress, and they have moved the gop WAY further to the right to the degree where they are not in office to govern but to obstruct while they funnel more and more money to the rich. and working class folks vote for them. lol, no wonder they don't want more education.

the dems at least are trying to govern, i may not agree with them but they are trying, they have ideas. this education idea is great, what does the gop want? to cut funding? look at jobs, the dems want an infrastructure project, and estimated 8 mil jobs over the next 4 years, the gop wants the xl pipeline with a couple of temp jobs and not much else. it's staggering, and the american conservatives are so ignorant they won't even vote for their own interests. won't even vote for something that's a good idea, and why? because obama supports it.

the posts in this thread are depressing and then some. this country is freaking doomed!

Back