President Obama Wants To Make Two Year College Free To All If They Work It Off

Awesome. Two more years of free school. We shall call them grades 13 and 14.

Sorry, but that's a non sequitur. The educational system in the US is beyond being deemed a success based on literacy rates.

If a kid can't read, the problem is at home with the family. Do you blame the teachers for this?

And it won't help anything because the incentive to study something economically worthwhile is still not as evident as if you had to actually pay a bit for your own education. When you pay money, out of pocket, you hold yourself and whoever is providing you with a good or service to a higher standard.

If it's given to you, you view it as an entitlement and eventually treat the service or good with a lot less respect.

^^ Seems like a straw man. What are you getting at?

I don't think there is an educational problem. Usually the problems in school are from kids who act up, don't listen, and don't respect their teachers. And usually these kids are the ones who have issues at home. They also tend to struggle more academically. And I think homelife is typically the root cause for their academic problems.

this is retarded. we shouldn't promote sending people to college anyway, especially on taxpayer's tit (as you may know, nothing is "free"). So many kids that I went to college with didn't care to be there, never studied, some didn't graduate... a total waste of time and money. When will our society realize that not everyone needs higher education?? People can go into trade schools, become electricians, carpenters, etc and still those are fine respectable professions.

this is retarded. we shouldn't promote sending people to college anyway, especially on taxpayer's tit (as you may know, nothing is "free"). So many kids that I went to college with didn't care to be there, never studied, some didn't graduate... a total waste of time and money. When will our society realize that not everyone needs higher education?? People can go into trade schools, become electricians, carpenters, etc and still those are fine respectable professions.

I agree. Plus, everyone who goes to college always says, "I learned a whole lot of stuff that I never use and will never need."

If you fail 4 classes, you never get another cent of government money for college. That rule would save billions of dollars wasted. I went to a nice University, and finished at a smaller (yet decent and accredited) College. At the College, there were people that were 100% just not for college using all the money they could borrow/get from Pell Grants like it was welfare buying crap and not even intending on getting or caring about a degree.

Exactly! and the "work it off" and "study hard" requirements for this thing would quietly go away with time, it wouldn't even make the news.

The devil is in the details.

1. What does He mean by: "willing to work for it"? Studying? or enlisting? I pay off my student loans by working. Can you milk me, Greg?

2. The only real problem I see this addressing is the cost of education. Not by making CC free, but my causing the 4 year universities to address the competition and lower their unrealistic costs.

It doesn't address any other real needs imo.
1. Our K-12 is shite.
2. CC is already inexpensive, so if cost was the reason you weren't going then you probably weren't that motivated.

So we're essentially pushing undereducated, unmotivated people onto the tax payer. And to what end? AA's in poetry? cartoon art? Where is the control? * And do we want anymore Fed control in our Edu system?

Even with our improving employment numbers, its not as if quality jobs are falling off trees. You still have graduates of 4 year degrees and grad school underemployed. Are you going to have a AA in Art taking away a BS in Biology's head cashier job for less pay?

I truly believe that an educated country is what is best for America, but we have real education related needs: STEM grads, K-12 overhaul, tuition costs/ debt.

I'd find it easier to support this idea if Vo-Techs were included. Something where kids can actually be taught a skill or a trade without the unnecessary classroom junk. Just teach them what they need to know in order to be a mill-worker, welder, pipe-fitter, plumber, electrician, etc. and let them then go be a journeyman and really learn from the more experienced in their field.

I don't think there is an educational problem. Usually the problems in school are from kids who act up, don't listen, and don't respect their teachers. And usually these kids are the ones who have issues at home. They also tend to struggle more academically. And I think homelife is typically the root cause for their academic problems.

So no need to debate over issues like standardized testing or the funding of urban schools?

There's problems with education. Just eat what some of these kids get for lunch each day, if you don't believe me.

Not to mention classes are still teaching shit like Edison inventing the light bulb.

That works for more the CC. I went to a 4 year school, and I didn't pay when I went back because of Pell and Tap. I went back at 24, so it was by my income, not my parents'.

Tuition was like 2.5 grand a semester and I got like 3 a semester. Used the 500 extra on books and gas money. Was a good deal.

^^^^ Case study on the failures of government funded Community College.

How the fuck is everyone so butthurt about this?

I'm all for it and LOL at the person saying education isn't a problem in America.

President Obama could produce the cure for cancer and the right-wingers would complain about him costing doctors their jobs... I know that if this goes through there will be problems, but I think it's a good idea.

So no need to debate over issues like standardized testing or the funding of urban schools?

There's problems with education. Just eat what some of these kids get for lunch each day, if you don't believe me.

Not to mention classes are still teaching shit like Edison inventing the light bulb.

I don't believe throwing more money into education will help these kids. IMO, they need some things money can't buy.

President Obama could produce the cure for cancer and the right-wingers would complain about him costing doctors their jobs... I know that if this goes through there will be problems, but I think it's a good idea.

Over react much?

Has he said how he'd expect kids to pay off this free tuition? What good is a two-year degree by itself anyway?

He should include trade schools and technical colleges too.

Free? Pfft, I'm afraid to total up how much a free education has actually cost for my 7th and 11th graders.

Free? Pfft, I'm afraid to total up how much a free education has actually cost for my 7th and 11th graders.

Question:
How much money does the United States spend on public elementary and secondary schools?

Response:
Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States amounted to $632 billion in 2010

Question:
How much money does the United States spend on public elementary and secondary schools?

Response:
Total expenditures for public elementary and secondary schools in the United States amounted to $632 billion in 2010

Back