President Obama Wants To Make Two Year College Free To All If They Work It Off

No, it's not like "free health care," which Obama did not propose. You sound like you have been educated by political memes.. And that is a bad thing. There is an argument for basic health care being a right. Most first world nations have decided it is, and their people do not complain about it all that much.

FREE college should be only for the truly gifted who will seriously do something with it. Not everybody. Not everybody is for college, and damn most of the jobs out there can be done without college tbh.

don't act like you haven't heard that exact phrase a hundred times...and it wasn't from conservatives

Anyone who has even a remote understanding of how the Community College system works, will tell you this:

Community college is 100% a scam. They graduate 10% of their students, and their curriculum is composed mostly of well-below-college level work. Indeed, some of their work is quite literally grade school level!

Community colleges take advantage of an audience consisting of vulnerable students who are very often poor, non-white, and intellectually overwhelmed by legitimate college work. They bilk these individuals in taking out loans, or else getting free grants, to waste their time in a school that teaches them nothing, under the nonsense belief that everyone ought to go to college.

Almost all community colleges should be shut down. More importantly: For-profit colleges should lose accreditation immediately and be barred from any sort of financial aid or student loan.

And this speaking form someone who has been employed by a Community College.

If you fail 4 classes, you never get another cent of government money for college. That rule would save billions of dollars wasted. I went to a nice University, and finished at a smaller (yet decent and accredited) College. At the College, there were people that were 100% just not for college using all the money they could borrow/get from Pell Grants like it was welfare buying crap and not even intending on getting or caring about a degree.

There are certain stipulations. If you are redoing a class, you have to pay for it yourself. And you only get a certain amount of attempted credits,(basically what you would you need for your degree) and then they cut you off. If your GPA is bad one quarter, most schools put you on probation or something, and if you mess up again, you're out. Almost all of it goes directly to tuition, and if you don't keep your grades up its not like you can keep getting the money. Nobody is getting rich off of it.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Second sight is so pathologically far right that Amerikurana even has to take him to school. I'm not even sure you can classify him as simply being far right. He's just completely clueless and placed on the end of some axis or spectrum which cannot really be defined.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Second sight is so pathologically far right that Amerikurana even has to take him to school. I'm not even sure you can classify him as simply being far right. He's just completely clueless and placed on the end of some axis or spectrum which cannot really be defined.

want to be my bitch?
Obamacare Website Quietly Deletes Reference to 'Free Health Care'

Even as President Obama and his administration are making a last minute push to encourage enrollment in Obamacare, a quiet change was made on the Healthcare.gov website regarding those who will still not be able to afford coverage after the program kicks in. From at least June 26, 2013 to as recently as September 15, under the topic, "Where can I get free or low-cost care in my community?" the following statement appeared: "If you can't afford any health plan, you can get free or low-cost health and dental care at a nearby community health center." Here is how the page in question appeared:

Picture%208_2.png

However, sometime between September 16 and September 23, the reference to "free" care was dropped. The title of the topic was changed as well, and now reads: "Where can I get low-cost care in my community?" Here is how the page currently appears:

Picture%209_0.png

No, it's not like "free health care," which Obama did not propose. You sound like you have been educated by political memes.. And that is a bad thing. There is an argument for basic health care being a right. Most first world nations have decided it is, and their people do not complain about it all that much.

FREE college should be only for the truly gifted who will seriously do something with it. Not everybody. Not everybody is for college, and damn most of the jobs out there can be done without college tbh.

Last edited:
Anyone who has even a remote understanding of how the Community College system works, will tell you this:

Community college is 100% a scam. They graduate 10% of their students, and their curriculum is composed mostly of well-below-college level work. Indeed, some of their work is quite literally grade school level!

Community colleges take advantage of an audience consisting of vulnerable students who are very often poor, non-white, and intellectually overwhelmed by legitimate college work. They bilk these individuals in taking out loans, or else getting free grants, to waste their time in a school that teaches them nothing, under the nonsense belief that everyone ought to go to college.

Almost all community colleges should be shut down. More importantly: For-profit colleges should lose accreditation immediately and be barred from any sort of financial aid or student loan.

Woah that is not true at all. Like 30-40% of my graduating class in high school went to http://www.ncc.edu/ after high school. It's a top notch place. I'd say 80-90% of the instructors were adjuncts from Hofstra, which is right down the street.

Many people who go away to college also take courses in the summer there. And many adults who want to go back to school go there, for some of the good 2 year programs they have...X-ray tech, whatever.

Some people drop out after a semester or two. Many graduate and then go to another school in the State Uni of NY system. Plenty of the people from my high school did exactly that.

Sounds right. But the proposal isn't about fixing a problem. It's about buying more votes.

High school can teach enough if people are willing to put in the work to be either A) employable B) ready for vocational school C) ready for college.

Every politician says that education is the key. However, education is the least of our problems.

paging mr hands....please come to the front, mr hands come to the front

Woah that is not true at all. Like 30-40% of my graduating class in high school went to http://www.ncc.edu/ after high school. It's a top notch place. I'd say 80-90% of the instructors were adjuncts from Hofstra, which is right down the street.

Many people who go away to college also take courses in the summer there. And many adults who want to go back to school go there, for some of the good 2 year programs they have...X-ray tech, whatever.

Some people drop out after a semester or two. Many graduate and then go to another school in the State Uni of NY system. Plenty of the people from my high school did exactly that.

Nassau Community is a somewhat decent school, but it does not disprove the general reality of the paucity of community colleges which are legitimate institutions of education.

"Adults who go back to college" are other vulnerable students who are bilked into the system. Adults who go back to college are almost always driven to go to college because they "have a dream". They have an emotional, rather than a practical, purpose of going back to college .This is an easy thing to exploit, especially as these older students come from a time when college -did- mean something, and think that remains the same thing today.

Also: It doesn't really matter where the adjuncts come from. Hofstra is a good school, sure, but every Community College has adjuncts (who are basically slave labour and who make virtually nothing from CCs who give almost all their money to administration - in excess of 100k a year! - to note) from notable universities. Remember: All adjuncts are either in Ph.D./MA programs, or hold MAs/Ph.Ds. already. You aren't going to get many dumb kids teaching classes this way, unless they are an "educationist", in which case, God help you...Amusingly, many CC folks -are- educationists.

Most CC students do not go on to get a 4-year degree.

Sounds right. But the proposal isn't about fixing a problem. It's about buying more votes.

High school can teach enough if people are willing to put in the work to be either A) employable B) ready for vocational school C) ready for college.

Of course it is.

Bread and circuses are how both parties (but especially the Democratic party which supports these things more explicitly on the federal level) buy votes.

$1000 per text-book on the tax-payers dime, can you feel it?

Yea, left in the dust of debt if we don't do something like this. How much waste do we already spend on the K-12. This is nothing more than an attempted bailout for the 2 year colleges that aren't producing shit.

Next comes bailouts for the 4 year colleges that aren't producing shit.

Here's one hint: of colleges have remedial classes of any kind that they have students who have no reason of any kind whatsoever to be in college.

2 year community college is already basically free anyways. Good intentions but, I dislike the idea.

Next comes bailouts for the 4 year colleges that aren't producing shit.

Here's one hint: of colleges have remedial classes of any kind that they have students who have no reason of any kind whatsoever to be in college.

Remedial classes should be a cause for de-accreditation. No institution of higher learning should offer anything under higher learning at college level pricing.

Remedial students also should know this: If you did not pass 7th grade math when you were in the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades...you ain't gonna do it when you're in college.

Remedial classes should be a cause for de-accreditation. No institution of higher learning should offer anything under higher learning at college level pricing.

Remedial students also should know this: If you did not pass 7th grade math when you were in the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grades...you ain't gonna do it when you're in college.

That's absurd. From what I've seen, a large percentage of these classes are made up of adults that are going back to school. If someone hasn't taken a mathematics class in 20 years, they very well shouldn't be expected to be fluent in math without some sort of remediation.

These classes usually don't provide credits for their courses, so I don't see what the big deal is.

How the fuck is everyone so butthurt about this?

I'm all for it and LOL at the person saying education isn't a problem in America.

As Mike Rowe has eloquently pointed out numerous times over the past year we already have a surfeit of college graduates in this country. We don't need more, and we don't need more low-cost AA's. If we're going to shift a great portion of the burden of higher education to the American taxpayer, then we need a stiffer merit-based financial program incentivizing than those already in place towards 4-year degrees, and in exchange for that subsidy we need to enable the government to exert more control over setting the criteria for what the colleges-- state schools and private schools that participate-- may use it to teach (i.e. more engineering/agricultural/medical degrees, fewer humanities degrees).

A lack of college graduates isn't this country's prime economic problem. The problem is the size of the population outside the labor force, and the attitude of this population:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...utside-the-labor-force-entirely-who-are-they/
By far the biggest chunk of people not in the labor force are people who simply don’t want to be, according to data from the monthly Current Population Survey (which the BLS uses to, among other things, calculate the unemployment rate). Last month, according to BLS, 85.9 million adults didn’t want a job now, or 93.3% of all adults not in the labor force. (All of the figures we’re using in this post are unadjusted for seasonal variations.)

Nice idea except for the part where the federal govt is doing it.

I took the CC AS to 4 year BSEE route and I think that students who have been accepted to a four year state school should have this option. There's clearly a financial or personal issue preventing them from continuing somewhere else.

If you're a championing a 2.3 HS GPA then you should pay; simple as that.

Back