Economy U.S Government vs. Big Pharma: Drug industry poised for rare political loss on prices

If all these fat lazy Americans would just eat better food and exercise more then they would cut down their healthcare costs drastically, but instead they keep acting like pigs and then wait for the government to save them.

Guess what fatties, want to save money on prescription costs? Stop buying candy and sodas and chips and ice cream and hamburgers and shitty beer and cigarettes. Not because those things are expensive, They're not... But because that shit is causing all your health problems..

If they included healthcare costs in the price of junk food i bet america wouldn't have so many disgusting fat bodies walking around

Last edited:
If all these fat lazy Americans would just eat better food and exercise more then they would cut down their healthcare costs drastically, but instead they keep acting like pigs and then wait for the government to save them.

Guess what fatties, want to save money on prescription costs? Stop buying candy and sodas and chips and ice cream and hamburgers and shitty beer and cigarettes. Not because those things are expensive, They're not... But because that shit is causing all your health problems..

If they included healthcare costs in the price of junk food i bet america wouldn't have so many disgusting fat bodies walking around

Not a bad idea, a healthcare tax on junk food lol.

Very bad.

Sticking it to Pharma—With Competition
A record pace of generic drug approvals is reducing prices.
By The WSJ Editorial Board | Nov. 19, 2018

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sticking-it-to-pharmawith-competition-1542674076?mod=e2fb

https://capitalandmain.com/big-pharma-bankrolled-pro-trump-group-as-trump-pushed-pharma-tax-cut-1115

"The major dark money group supporting President Donald Trump’s political and economic agenda raked in millions of dollars directly from the pharmaceutical industry’s main lobbying group — at the same time Trump backed off his position on a major drug issue and promoted a tax plan that was a windfall for the industry."

Trump mention he would let Medicare negotiate prices but went back in his word after a meeting with big pharma, and it just came out he was getting donations from big pharma thru a super PAC during his election run.

Last edited:
Seems like he has soften his stance a little bit since going back on his word last year, but I'm not holding my breath. let's see if it he can actually make permanent changes not just temporary ones. Those drug companies had already said they were going to lower prices temporarily by the end of the year and then increase them again next year.

https://gizmodo.com/rising-drug-prices-arent-going-to-stop-under-trump-1830586404

"But the majority of these proposals haven’t been made reality. And glaringly absent in the blueprint are actual sweeping policies experts have argued will substantially lower costs, such as giving Medicare wide authority to negotiate down drug prices, or creating harsher rules to stop companies from interfering with other companies’ attempts to develop generic drugs"

"What is apparent that drug prices are continuing to shoot up, if at a slightly slower pace than before. While some companies joined Pfizer in pledging to freeze further price increases this year at least, most didn’t. In August, according to a Wells Fargo report, drug companies collectively raised the price of 60 drugs, while lowering the price of 32 drugs. Another report by the Associated Press found that for every drug price drop reported up until September of this year, there were 96 price increases."

Last edited:
HHS Secretary Alex Azar: Trump's moves are 'ultimate nightmare' for Big Pharma
By Tom Howell Jr. - The Washington Times - Friday, October 26, 2018

Trump_82110.jpg-08b32_c0-0-4239-2471_s885x516.jpg

Health Secretary Alex Azar said President Trump’s bid to tie what the U.S. government pays for certain Medicare drugs to what other nations pay won’t cripple innovation or access to vital treatments, even if the plan is one of Big Pharma’s “ultimate nightmares.”

“I can tell you because it used to be my job to have pharmaceutical nightmares,” Mr. Azar, a former executive at Eli Lilly USA, told the Brookings Institution.

“Change is coming,” he told drug companies. “You cannot stand by or defend the status quo on drug pricing.”

Mr. Trump says the plan to peg prices under Medicare Part B to an “international pricing index” will correct a “rigged” system in which Americans effectively subsidize drug innovation and lower costs in nations like Germany, Japan and Canada.

The payment experiment will be phased in beginning in late 2019 or 2020 and affect half of the country.

The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), a major lobbying group, is crying foul, saying the proposal will upend a competitive and innovative marketplace in the U.S., where patients get access to cutting-edge drugs faster than other developed countries.

“The administration is imposing foreign price controls from countries with socialized health care systems that deny their citizens access and discourage innovation. These proposals are to the detriment of American patients,” PhRMA President and CEO Stephen J. Ubl said.

Yet Mr. Azar disagreed, saying Big Pharma is “never going to walk away” from the huge U.S. market and will have to either raise prices abroad or find space in their budgets to adjust to the new reality.

He said under the model, the U.S. will still be paying about 126 percent of foreign prices.

Mr. Azar rejected the idea that Mr. Trump — who balked at Democrats’ pleas to set prices directly — is outsourcing the U.S.’s responsibility for maintaining low prices to other countries.

He said Part B already pays a set a price to doctors without the ability to negotiate, like Medicare’s Part D program does.

The problem right now, he said, is “it’s just a really stupid way to set prices.”

The administration says its plan should save the government $17 billion over five years, and seniors should see lower costs at the pharmacy counter under the plan, because their out-of-pocket costs are pegged to the overall price.

“This is a huge win for patients,” Mr. Azar said.

Part B is the segment of Medicare covering drugs dispensed in doctors’ office and outpatient hospital clinics — not ones found at pharmacies.

Under the new model, vendors will purchase drugs and dispense them to physicians, so doctors don’t buy them directly.

Doctors should be focused on treating patients, and not “not floating capital for pricey drugs,” Mr. Azar said.

Also, the government will pay a flat flee to doctors and hospitals who store and administer Part B drugs, rather than a percentage of the price, so providers aren’t tempted to use higher-cost medicines.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/26/alex-azar-hhs-secretary-donald-trumps-moves-are-ul/

Part B drug spending only accounts for 3 percent of total Medicare spending. Not even making a dent in the overall expenditure, seems just like lip service. I guess any incremental steps is a success because it's trump, I mean that in a good way.

Save money. Get inferior products. At least the placebo effect is real for some!

Save money. Get inferior products. At least the placebo effect is real for some!

Generic drugs must be the exact same structure. Its why I never buy advil... generic is just as effective. Drug companies have a 7 year patent on their published drug. After that any company can make the same drug as long as its the same structure.

but if Americans ate healthy, they wouldn't need their pills anymore.

that's bad for business!

Generic drugs must be the exact same structure. Its why I never buy advil... generic is just as effective. Drug companies have a 7 year patent on their published drug. After that any company can make the same drug as long as its the same structure.
In theory you are correct. I have worked for both generic and brand name pharma. In the manufacturing and quality side. Not saying brand name is without fault, but saying because the fda approves a generic process and product, doesnt mean they are always the same. There a vast differences.

In theory you are correct. I have worked for both generic and brand name pharma. In the manufacturing and quality side. Not saying brand name is without fault, but saying because the fda approves a generic process and product, doesnt mean they are always the same. There a vast differences.

It seems, Aleve /Tylenols....... keep making their product better.

easier on your stomach
Time released capsules

It seems, even though generic has the exact same medical components, the name brand has continued to tweak it.

Talk is nice, action is better. Let's see Trump do something, instead of acting all outraged and doing nothing.
Yeah, coming up on 2 years since all that big talk and how, precisely, have the American people gained?

Edit: that is, besides getting the FDA to do what it is supposed to do.

Last edited:
Please elaborate on these vast differences.

I worked for Merck on the experimental side. I do know by law the molecular structures must match. Additives can vary but not the active ingredient. There may be some slight advantages. But I am no expert either. Just know that the active ingredient must match. But see your point and its valid

Either way, I typically fall on protecting pharma to some extent. They spend a lot and make a lot. Pharma shoud price fair as possible but have to make money as well. I spent 7 years at Merck trying to develop cancer drugs. We had ~100M yearly budget and in those 7 years sent nothing to market. They put lots and lots into finding a winner. Not saying I know what drugs should cost either. Cheers bud. Happy Thanksgiving

Last edited:

Obesity is not the fundamental issue. The lack of humanity is. That pushes people to try to compensate in all sorts of destructive ways. Thank of yourself for example. You confuse having a piece of the truth with justification for beating someone over the head with it. As if that’s actually a solution, or there wasn’t a time where you didn’t know, and were struggling in darkness. Becoming more forgiving people is the answer to the fear that has swept us all, IMO.

I worked for Merck on the experimental side. I do know by law the molecular structures must match. Additives can vary but not the active ingredient. There may be some slight advantages. But I am no expert either. Just know that the active ingredient must match. But see your point and its valid

Either way, I typically fall on protecting pharma to some extent. They spend a lot and make a lot. Pharma shoud price fair as possible but have to make money as well. I spent 7 years at Merck trying to develop cancer drugs. We had ~100M yearly budget and in those 7 years sent nothing to market. They put lots and lots into finding a winner. Not saying I know what drugs should cost either. Cheers bud. Happy Thanksgiving
Yes. The brand name companies put way more into r and d and the exclusivity period should be longer. But the generics still have to develop the product on their own,which is time consuming and costly also. Thanks man, you too!

It comes down to continous quality assurance once the product has been validated.

they are on the market
Sweet! Are they over the counter yet aswell?? I remember they were proposing a daily use tab for over the counter status. but hte way the system was set up it would have taken forver.

That should be the next hurdle

Depends what country, but not likely. Too many side effects imo.
The benefits seem to outweigh the side effects big time. Priaprism and mixing of nitrate use and pde5s seem to be the only danger but at that point how much worse is it really than other things that are already over the counter?

It would be smart business choice for Lilly to sell it over the counter for daily use. They could potentially have more customers than even before.

Back