Presenting the average BJJ man: a 30 year old blue belt

Close. I'm off by 6 years and don't train at GB. Otherwise, pretty much spot on.

Sweet then if I tow the stereotype, I'll be a blue belt in less than two years!

Creepy how close that is to me....

Blue Belt (4 stripes...though no one cares about stripes)
30 yrs old as of 2 days ago
Grappling since Jan 2010
8'ish hrs training/wk

Have not competed recently and not at a GB

Eh, for what it's worth.

1 stripe purple belt
train with a relson gracie affiliate

Sweet then if I tow the stereotype, I'll be a blue belt in less than two years!
Highfive!
(though i been training for 3 years next january, last year i havent trained much for whats that worth).

Yikes, the AVERAGE blackbelt trains 11.2 hours per week??? I hope I can reach blackbelt someday training less than that!

Interesting that the more experience you have, the more you seem to train.

Yikes, the AVERAGE blackbelt trains 11.2 hours per week??? I hope I can reach blackbelt someday training less than that!

I am going to guess that Black and Brown instructors skew the mat time.

Two things that would be interesting to know:

- most brown and black belts are also assistant instructors or school owners. Is all mat time counted as training time, such that the 11.2 hours is in addition to teaching duties? Because if it included teaching time it's easier to believe.

-average is often not the best measure of central tendency, because it's subject to movement by big outliers. I'd be curious what the median training time is at all belt levels.

Two things that would be interesting to know:

- most brown and black belts are also assistant instructors or school owners. Is all mat time counted as training time, such that the 11.2 hours is in addition to teaching duties? Because if it included teaching time it's easier to believe.

-average is often not the best measure of central tendency, because it's subject to movement by big outliers. I'd be curious what the median training time is at all belt levels.

Well said.

interdasting. Lets see at 30 I:

Had been training for 2 years

Was a 2 stripe blue belt

Trained 5 days a week (typically 1.5 - 2 hour sessions)

Competed 4-6 times a year

Checkmat

34 male
Black Belt
Assistant Instructor at Carlson Gracie Temecula
trained since 1998
I average approximately 12 hrs a week (inline with the average). That's me "training", not instructing.

Blue

Last edited:
34 male
Black Belt
Assistant Instructor at Carlson Gracie Temecula
trained since 1998
I average approximately 12 hrs a week (inline with the average). That's me "training", not instructing.

Lobo,

Is BJJ your full time gig?

No, though it sounds like it lol. I'm in law enforcement and currently teach defensive tactics full time. This allows me to train on and off duty. I've got some tough guys to train with at work; DIII All-American (who outweighs me by 50 lbs.), a BJJ brown belt, a couple of blues (one who should be a purple), and some tough white belts who grew up wrestling. So I usually train at work 3x a week on top of my off-duty training.

No, though it sounds like it lol. I'm in law enforcement and currently teach defensive tactics full time. This allows me to train on and off duty. I've got some tough guys to train with at work; DIII All-American (who outweighs me by 50 lbs.), a BJJ brown belt, a couple of blues (one who should be a purple), and some tough white belts who grew up wrestling. So I usually train at work 3x a week on top of my off-duty training.

Nice. It can be nice when work and hobbies overlap. It can suck as well but it sounds like you have a good set up.

Back