Prerequisite for Champs fighting other Champs

BrunswickMAF

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I saw that Colby said he wants to fight Adesanya next if he beats Usman. Personally, I feel it's silly to allow that so there should be some prerequisite to moving weight class to fight another champ.

-Minimum three title defenses or one title defense and a win over everyone in the top five in the past five years.
-You had to have had one MMA fight at the other weight class before jumping to it.
-Nobody in the top three of the other weight class is available to fight for that title.

Why should UFC make rules that they never intend to follow?

Whoever they WANT to get the shot will get it

There is only one rule the UFC follows here

1) Will this fight draw massive numbers? It is the most profitable fight we can make?
2) Are we trying to build this fighter in a massive draw?

If the answer is yes to both these questions then they get the shot

I saw that Colby said he wants to fight Adesanya next if he beats Usman. Personally, I feel it's silly to allow that so there should be some prerequisite to moving weight class to fight another champ.

-Minimum three title defenses or one title defense and a win over everyone in the top five in the past five years.
-You had to have had one MMA fight at the other weight class before jumping to it.
-Nobody in the top three of the other weight class is available to fight for that title.

All that seems fair to me.

Colby trying to do anything to avoid fighting other top contenders at WW.

Hopefully Usman finishes him again.

colby aint a draw so that fight is not happening

We get these "super fights" but can't get an interim (Tony) vs champ (Khabib)...

That is a big if Colby but sure let your mouth walk you into another payday.

There is only one rule the UFC follows here

1) Will this fight draw massive numbers? It is the most profitable fight we can make?
2) Are we trying to build this fighter in a massive draw?

If the answer is yes to both these questions then they get the shot
I think Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou would like to have a word with you about your rule . . .

It's great on paper. Those circumstances all happening for both fighters doesn't seem likely though. I agree that the champ vs champ superfight thing should be rare, but if it fell on the criteria in the OP it would never happen.

Back