prepractice energy snack?

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyday i have wrestling practice at 2:30, and it continues until 5. We jog/run, run drills, then we learn new moves, use them and then have some practice matches. What kind of snack can i eat before practice to give me some energy? my last meal is at 12:00 before that, so currently so im also getting alittle hungry.

banana

and apple juice cut with water.. maybe 1 part juice, 3 parts water

potassium increases performance while sodium decreases output...

maybe a small complex carb meal too!

caffiene would work as well..

maybe an "Emer'Gen-C" packet for ur c and b-vitamins.. b-vitamins are ur 'energy' vitamins.. along with electrolytes

Damn, I didn't know apple juice had potassium in it. I'm going to start consuming more of it.

supersudo said:
banana

and apple juice cut with water.. maybe 1 part juice, 3 parts water

potassium increases performance while sodium decreases output...

maybe a small complex carb meal too!

output? and ill try a 1:3 mix like you said.

Any non-tropical fruit, basically, and no dairy or breads or fatty meats. Maybe some veggies and a small portion of exceptionally lean meat (like a slice or two of turkey breast).

supersudo said:
caffiene would work as well..

maybe an "Emer'Gen-C" packet for ur c and b-vitamins.. b-vitamins are ur 'energy' vitamins.. along with electrolytes

Is that Emer'Gen-C stuff any good? I saw it in a catelog, and was wondering about it.

I tend to drink a very small cup of coffee before I go train. It helps to wake me up, especially if I'm training early in the morning.

granola bar. I got a recipe around here somewhere...

farmboy said:
Is that Emer'Gen-C stuff any good? I saw it in a catelog, and was wondering about it.

I tend to drink a very small cup of coffee before I go train. It helps to wake me up, especially if I'm training early in the morning.

personally.. when i take caffiene.. i feel like shit, however, i can still focus meaning it's good for studying, and working out.. but not good for feeling 'well'.. :wink:

with emer'Gen-C i dunno about everyone, but it makes *me* feel 'well' AND boosts my energy levels 'noticeably'.. but the effects don't last as long as caffiene (but really, what does? lol).. i guess u can compare it to the energized feeling u get when u wake up in the morning on a good day :D (not exactly the same though :wink: )

but yeh.. i noticed i can work out longer when i drink emer'Gen-C before working out.. :wink:

i made a thread on favorite Emer'Gen-C flavors.. add to it!
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=297301

that emergen stuff looks good, im gonna try it out. urban where can i find the granola bar recipe?

hmm i just checked it out. is it ok to take it daily every day before practice? in addition to my morning multivitamin? the stuff has (or atleast the tangerine flavor) 1111% daily value for vitamin c lol.

I've started taking tyrosine, just like 5g before training. Seems to help me. Got some tuarine kicking about aswell, but it doesn't seem to work aswell for me.

Honestly, your best bet is to be drinking a sport drink of combined carbohydrates and protein during the workout or as close as possible to the workout. Hitting your body with carbs before a workout greatly increases the risk of 'crashing' during the workout.

I saw something on TV I might try. 1 low-carb tortilla, 2 TBSP of Peanut Butter (I eat natural), and some apple slices.

Good balance of complex carbs, protein, and fruit. Seemed pretty filling too.

zdrax said:
Honestly, your best bet is to be drinking a sport drink of combined carbohydrates and protein during the workout or as close as possible to the workout. Hitting your body with carbs before a workout greatly increases the risk of 'crashing' during the workout.

Hitting your body with the wrong kind of carbs.

The right kind of carbs are fuel. Besides, we aren't be specific regarding timing. I don't mean immediately before. Preworkout meal 4 hours before workout, then snack half hour before workout.

I don't understand this seeming trend of taking protein during and before workouts. The last thing I want is to be digesting that shit. Even if it's just whey, anytime I've ever taken protein pre or during the workout I always feel slower and just like there's too much crap in my stomach. Nor do I like my workouts being interrupted to take a dump.

Like Mick suggested, if you're going to use protein use extremely lean meat like thinly sliced turkey breast or something. Most of the protein/carb matrix drinks like accellerade to be used pre or during workout have like 4g of protein at the most I've seen.

You guys who eat peanut butter and shit before the workout are nuts.

b0b said:
I saw something on TV I might try. 1 low-carb tortilla, 2 TBSP of Peanut Butter (I eat natural), and some apple slices.

Good balance of complex carbs, protein, and fruit. Seemed pretty filling too.

you eat this alot? is it effective? how many mins before match,etc.?

Back