prepping my first fight against a striker

pedro90

White Belt
Reaction score
ok so on 11/7 i have match against of associate of mine. more of a comparison of style and skill. Since we have kinda hyped it up and have formulated a rule set with a venue Im treating this like one of my amateur fights.

my oppenent only knows that i study jiujutsu. he doesnt have any idea of what system of it. i.e. daito ryu, goshin, or Brazilian( i study BJJ). all he knows is i study a form of JJ. i dont believe he is researching it for this fight, but i could be wrong.

my strength is my BJJ and sub grappling. ive been doing for 2 years. go to practice ruffly three times a week and some home or gym exercises, however i have a 7 years gung-fu background, which served as some of basis, and helpful to my takedown setups. as well as some standup. however im worst on my feet. my entire idea is to try to do the royce gracie thing and do a front snap kick to make contact with his body in order to close the distance, to help execute my takedown.

what i know of my oppoenet is he is somewhat taller then me and has longer range. he has No bjj or grappling training, neither does he have any "formal" training. he "style" is based off of tae kwon do, muay thai, and capoeira kicking techniques, that he has learned from youtube. As well as internet articles that he has practices and applies when he sparrs. He is against dojo's and believes soleley in self teaching.
( i know what your thinking, but i dont want to understimate him under any circumstances. Its the greatest sin of combat)

i personally think i can and will win with the good ol royce gracie strategy. At the same time, im trying my best to not underestimate him. I know ill have it in the bag if get him in mount, even if i got in his guard( seeing as he doesnt know what those are) but this is my first amateur match, and i want to be prepared as possible. Anymore tips against fighting an opponent like this?

Have faith in the technique. Your scenario is how BJJ became famous and proved itself ,think of it that way. You will win by the way.

Get close immediately. Someone with that sort of background is going to be winging kicks at you at every opportunity and from every angle. Don't hang back and let him pick you apart.

Hands up. ALWAYS. This includes throwing a jab or any other kind of punch. As you may have seen in the Condit-Hardy fight, keeping a hand low as you throw is a bad idea.

Don't just go for the clinch; ankle picks will be useful, particularly against someone with dangerous knees.

Above all, control distance. Against a rangy fighter, lock your arms close and weave your way inside. Fight from where you're best.

my friend has a 2-0 am record and I have been training bjj for 10 months(10 hrs per week) and he has been training mma a year an a half, he cant stop me from taking him down or stop me from submitting him, granted my stand up is shit, im 99% positive I could beat him with bjj alone. If the guy knows nothing about bjj you should win in about 2minuets.

I think that you'll have this fight in the bag with no problem. Nothing against your friend, but with no formal training of any kind, using capoeira, TKD, and MT kicks from youtube against someone with decent takedowns and good subs (I'm assuming that you're pretty competent in your BJJ) he's going to be in serious trouble. I think he's got a puncher's (kicker's) chance. What ruleset are you using?

Also, PLEASE film this and post it. I'd love to see how it turns out.

1 - 2 - shoot...
really any combination where he'll put his gloves up to block then shoot.....

Hands up, drive forward and close the distance quickly. Drag him down to the ground from there.

If he has no grappling experience at all, his only real shot is to keep you at range and land a big shot. Eliminate his one offensive capability right away and then just work to drag him down.

Even without knowing anything about you or your friend, I would be suprised if he was able to beat you given the stylistic match up.

When I started bjj... I used to goof around with my friend who boxed (like most immature kids) and he really was never able to do anything if I didn't let him establish a range. If that helps at all.

EDIT. Just read that your friend actually has no "formal" training. In all likelihood your opponent is screwed unless you give the fight to him.

Last edited:
Back