Preparing for NAGA

NOP

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been training BJJ for about 4 months now, and have no wrestling experience. I am going to be entering NAGA on the 10th next month. I'm going to enter Novice LHW, and Whitebelt Gi LHW.

Other than getting my ass handed to me, to those of you who have been, what should I expect. How is the flow on weigh-ins/tourney day, things like registration, weighing in, and getting around.

I just want to feel a little more comfortable when I get there, instead of being worried trying to figure out what to do next. Also what leg are you supposed to wear the marker on?

At my school we roll from knees, so I have a slim amount of TD experience, which I'll be working on the next couple of weeks. I know there is a great possibility of me being eliminated first round of each division, but I figure this will be the only time I will ever be able to enter the novice category respectively and the experience of it should be great.

Thanks for any input.

I will be there as well, so good luck(we will be in different divisions). Naga is a long day, so bring some fruit and power bars along with your water. It's pretty well run, but nothing ever starts on time, so don't be surprised if you warm up, and then have to wait, and then warm up again, then have to wait and so on.

I would probably start working a little on your feet with some takedowns. Not that you will be a takedown killer between then and now, just that it will familiarize you with the game. You can wear the marker however you like

Hey if you get eliminated, at least you got the chance to step out there in front of folks, and competition really is a very valuable training tool. Good luck

I know there is a great possibility of me being eliminated first round of each division, but I figure this will be the only time I will ever be able to enter the novice category respectively and the experience of it should be great.

Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

You might be able to enter that division again if you don't win the first competition. I'll be there too and may be in your divisions. It's a really neat experience. Competative of course...but really fun and exciting. That being said just have fun and listen to your coaches. :)

Dan

Don't set yourself up to lose buddy! Maybe youll surprise yourself, and if not you take alot away from it. I did!

Just be prepared to wait thats the best advice i can give

Awesome, great input everyone, thanks. Last question I have is;

On Friday, for weigh ins.. Is it pretty straightforward, just go up there, check in or whatever, present ID and weigh in?

And on comp. day, do you have a number or something, or do they call it by division, what I'm trying to get at is how do you know where to be and everything.

Thanks again everyone.

Awesome, great input everyone, thanks. Last question I have is;

On Friday, for weigh ins.. Is it pretty straightforward, just go up there, check in or whatever, present ID and weigh in?

And on comp. day, do you have a number or something, or do they call it by division, what I'm trying to get at is how do you know where to be and everything.

Thanks again everyone.

Weigh ins are just first come/first serve. Just show up and they will check you in and tell you what to do. You will get an index card for each division you are competing in. When you're division is up on a mat they will announce it on the PA and you bring your index card to the table at the mat you are on. The guy at the table then takes all the peoples cards and fills out a bracket and announces who is fighting.

^ Thanks a lot man, that covers everything.

Back