Preparing for first competition

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Zola, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Zola

Zola Blue Belt

Hey all,

I am still a white belt, and will be for some time, but I am entering a competition for the first time ever, at the end of September.

What advice can you give me regards being in the best condition for this?

I do S&C work at a gym 2 or 3 times a week (squats, deadlifts, benchpress, pullups, thats kind of thing). and I go to class 4 times a week. I typically hit the gym straight after work and then go home, eat something light and go to BJJ. I then have my main meal when I get home.

Should I be out running as well for cardio?

2. BOWHUNTER

BOWHUNTER Gender: Attack Chopper Banned

Do not cut weight. remember to breathe, you will be nervous and that can lead to an energy dump. Also DO NOT DO ANYTHING ABNORMAL on the day of the tourney. Just do what you would do on any regular day, do not have a massive breakfast or take some new supplement etc.

For cardio I would just roll a lot more. Roll for like 5 min with one guy and just keep having fresh guys jump in every 5 min and you will be fine. If you can roll and not get killed after 5 round of fresh guys you will be fine.

3. Minnja

Minnja Touch-Butt white belt Platinum Member

I would just increase the days you roll as you get closer to the tournament and then the week of the tournament roll light or decrease the amount of rolling but still do drills etc. Running can help increase overall fitness and I would do it on your "off days" if you feel like you should do something but don't think it needs to be a major part of your training.

4. PapaFoxtrot

PapaFoxtrot White Belt

Don't lift the week of the competition. You should program your S&C so that you peak the week of. I'm not an expert but you could probably find some good advices in the strength and conditioning section.

I listen to relaxing music the morning of and try and meditate to relax. I've been in competitive sports pretty much my whole life, but was surprised at how jittery I was the morning of my first tournament. It's just different from team sports.

5. TheMood

TheMood Green Belt

If the competition gives out t shirts don't forget to get your shirt. That is the most important part of competing. Other than that try to have some fun.

j123 and Respeezy like this.
  6. jcandoitbig

jcandoitbig Green Belt

the adrenaline dump will kill your cardio first few competitions. be expecting that. also your mind will generally go blank so stick to the basics, stay calm, and gogoplata somebody...jk

7. FatherSauce

FatherSauce Blue Belt

And get the shirt early so they don't run out of your size.

8. mcdowels

mcdowels Brown Belt

Only keep the t shirt if you win

JagRoss likes this.
  9. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Keep attacking.