prepared to fight a trained fighter

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
i know there is alot of on and off conversation regarding self defense what works on the street and so on; nine times out of ten people assume the person theywill be fighting are untrained or something of that nature. An more than likely that is true...

that being said i decided to examine the other side an ask u guys if u would be prepared or as confident if the person u were facing was trained; many people i know who do standup (bjj/judo/submission/wrestler/etc) are confident knowing the people they are facing aren't trained.

so if u knew the person u are or were facing was trained would it affect ur confidence or would u avoid a confrontation you might habe been more willing to get into; but now that u realize this person is good or better than u, u might not be as willing to fight him.

i assume w/in a very short time span u could recognize a skilled opp from an unskilled one..
or let's say somehow u got into a confrontation w/someone u knew was better than u were, would u be willing to fight still...

i have gotten into fights w/people who are trained..an it's just a whole diff world.. an i have had near altercations w/guys who i was familiar w/ whom i knew would most likely hand me my ass; but that is just how it goes sometime.

ex: guy i used to train at this judo club i went to, was a bjj bluebelt and actually had about 10 muay thai fights; well i was out w/a friend of mine and some kind of argument ensued and they were about to fight. I basically stepped in between them, cus i had a) grappled w/ this guy and b) seen him fight muay thai; so i was very aware what he was gonna do to my friend.. an it basically came to a point where this dude was gonna fight me instead... it ended up being averted. But i was really thinking this could get real ugly, not sayin i don't have faith in my skills or whatnot; but just being honest w/myself and knowledgeable of the person i was dealing w/. I would have fought him anyway if it came to that; cus regardless of what he would have done to me, he would have killed my friend. No joke he would have KILLED him...

lets just say not having that built in adv of skills/awareness and in fact being at a disadvantage not just physically but tech, was a diff sort of thing and so i decided to get ur input.

yes.. i would be pretty scared. imagine just getting in a pure bjj match, but youre not allowed to tap. that alone is frightening. put punches into the mix, and thats a really ugly situation

i would rather get beat up than having my friend get killed. If i were you, do what you can't do in matches before he does. (balls, throat punches) straight knee kicks. But If that doesn't work try your best. I'm a stupid guy and have fought way better people, i haven't started them, but i jumped in instead of my friend. your pride gets hurt, you get injured, but you feel bettre in a way knowing your friend could be in the condition you are in.

I would def take a beating by a much better fighter than me if I knew that it would save my friend from taking an even worse beating. There is no shame in that whatsoever. I dont have any respect for a trained fighter who would go after someone who they know they could just basically murder in a fight. There is no honor in that.

I'm not sure which type of beating you people are talking about. Beatings in the streets do not involve gloves, verbal submissions, Referees, etc.. they do involve Heads hitting pavement, knives going in and out of your side quickly, guns, prison, and death. I am also not sure as to what the point of this thread is.

If you know you are probably going to lose than what is the point to fighting. I dont see one. But if you think you still have a good possibility of winning than I would do so to save a friend. In either circumstance you did the right thing in not letting your friend fight.

The best solution is to never get into a fight. Just because you're trained doesn't mean you won't get hurt against your opponent (whether they are trained or not). Why put yourself into that situation in the first place? Try to avoid fighting at all.

Fighting people you know you can beat is totally dumb! So is fighting period unless you have no choice, like it's you fighting or your wife being butchered in front of you- then it's no other way out and I would fight on the street.

Sizing guys up is harder than it looks- unless he has noticeable cauliflower ears or happens to be wearing " Vale Tudo For Life " t-shirts. Most big people I know of who like to fight end up getting shot or stabbed.
\
My point being: Don't glorify violence, if there is any other option take it!

BTW: I fight BJJ, NO Gi and Boxing- I consider this to be as far removed from street violence as football is from knitting.

I would rather fight someone I know has some skill, mailnly because I know they're probably less likely to use weapons and more like to use a 'fake rules' system that they're used to training in... sure, if they do bjj, they might give you some elbows, but they're probably not going to gouge me and stuff.

Dedicado said:
Sizing guys up is harder than it looks- unless he has noticeable cauliflower ears or happens to be wearing " Vale Tudo For Life " t-shirts. Most big people I know of who like to fight end up getting shot or stabbed.

To be fair, I saw a kid sporting a long sleeve black shirt that was for his BJJ club. It had huge white figures in menancing poses and arm locks, and tribal art everywhere. On the front and back it said something like " Go ahead, fight me. I dare you " and something on the front that said " Streetfight BJJ. "

I almost wanted to just punch him in the face to find out if he was a poser or not.

Kawlinz said:
I would rather fight someone I know has some skill, mailnly because I know they're probably less likely to use weapons and more like to use a 'fake rules' system that they're used to training in... sure, if they do bjj, they might give you some elbows, but they're probably not going to gouge me and stuff.

Totally agree.

the people who have trained and are willing to pick a fight with you usually aren't the ones that are super good at what they do...martial arts be it BJJ or Muay Thai or what have you usually build a lot of self control...yes situations start but most masters of their art will do whatever they can to get out of the conflict...they dont need to beat you or me up to make themselves feel tough...its the guys that are pretty good but just all around assholes that are picking fights...i am a bouncer in a strip club in Indianapolis and we'll find guys like that all the time...Mr. Oh i've done BJJ for 5 years so i'll touch whatever girl i want to touch...i've found that the best way to deal with that...is for me and the other 6 bouncers that are working to take him outside and give him the option to either go home or fight 7 on 1...anyone that knows what they are doing knows how many people they can take...i think Ron White said it best...the trained guy doesn't know how many of us it would take to beat his ass...but he knows how many we are going to use...even if its just 2 or 3 on one...its not like ur ognna be fighting Steven Seagal in the club...whoever it is probably can't take three guys all rushing him at the same time...just fight smart and fight dirty...

jamison said:
I'm not sure which type of beating you people are talking about. Beatings in the streets do not involve gloves, verbal submissions, Referees, etc.. they do involve Heads hitting pavement, knives going in and out of your side quickly, guns, prison, and death. I am also not sure as to what the point of this thread is.

Actually, most of them just involve some punches, one guy gets thier ass kicked, and everybody goes their separate ways. A black eye or bloody nose is usually the worst. Getting stabbed, shot, and dying is so overplayed on this forum it isn't even funny, hardly any fights actually reach that point.

the reason i was going to fight him was basically he had been in the mindset where he was gonna fight someone, my friend is untrained and fairly tough; but looking at things objectively...this guy would have killed my friend.

to be honest the whole situation could have been avoided, it was really just a misunderstanding; but my friend was w/his gf/friends and did not want to seem like he was being punked. So he challenged this guy and was talking alot of smack; now usually i would just let someone take the beatdown and only step in to keep someone from being hurt, cus most times it is more or less even.

but in this case, the guy i knew was a bjj bluebelt and had some muay thai fights; i had grappled w/him before and seen him fight muay that, an we had a couple'a mma type sparring sessions. From my 1st hand exp of seeing him fight..and sparring him an having seen my friend fight and having sparred him; i could pretty much see where this was gonna go...

so i was trying to break it up and stop it; but it got to a point where this dude just wanted to fight...an i could not let my friend fight this guy he would have KILLED him; i would probably lose, but it would be alot better than the beatdown my friend was gonna get and i had a chance of winning other than the 50/50 chance u have in any fight. Speaking from an a point of exp...skillset...and 1sthand knowledge of the guys ability.

i did not want to or look towards fighting dude; but i could not let him fight my friend, an a funny thing was..this dude is wanna those calm...cool dudes..but is a killa; he was telling me get out of his was and let my friend get the beating he had coming. An i was like i can't do that, u know u could kill him; his thing was ur friend should of thought of that before, an he basically made the point either i let him eliminate my friend or i could stand in and take it for him... iT WAS NOT THAT CLEAR A CONVO; BUT U GET THE point, i know the guy he knows me and we both know wht one another knows and can do...

luckily people stepped in and everything kinda fell apart from there..so everyone walked away w/out too much drama...

the point of the thread is basically to present the situation where u might have to fight a person who knows what u know if not more; an is good as u are if not better, knowing how dangerous a fight is against a untrained person. Are u willing or prepared to fight someone who is trained.

people here comment about bullies who are tough when they have the adv; but don't wanna fight when they at a disadvantage, so if all the guys here are prepared to fight some frat boy or some punk who has no skills and is bringing drama. Why does ur tune change when it is u facing a equally or superiorly skilled opp; if u avoid trouble..avoid it, but if ur gonna fight the untrained loudmouth...then prepared to fight the trained one.

SwiftMcvay said:
Actually, most of them just involve some punches, one guy gets thier ass kicked, and everybody goes their separate ways. A black eye or bloody nose is usually the worst. Getting stabbed, shot, and dying is so overplayed on this forum it isn't even funny, hardly any fights actually reach that point.

Its the word hardly that gets me here.

I dont want to be unlucky and be a part of one of those fights that hardly ever happens...

jamison said:

The point is that girl in your av is hot... who is she?

On topic that dude is training for the wrong reasons if he's going after untrained guys on the street.

jamison said:

On topic that dude is training for the wrong reasons if he's going after untrained guys on the street.

again, this can't be said enough on this forum: do not confuse streetfighting with a SPORT like kickboxing or bjj or wrestling. There are people who are not formally trained in any martial art but who are experienced street fighters and can take out a lot of trained people, even higher belts. That being said, Krav Maga is pretty nasty.

jamison said:

Back