Prelim Review: Ringside Heritage Sparring Gloves w/pics

Minowafanatic -
Thanks for pointing out a huge error with our pricing on the website I assume it has something to do with a year ending that has messed them all up. It has slashed prices on everything on the website but don't get too excited as it is being corrected now. Sorry guys but Heritage products are not really on sale.

Thanks,

Darrin

Goddamit

:(

they still look great, anyway. I guess Im not Nostradamus after all

I am shocked at all the good info about equipment on here. Sherdog had really become a place that I thought was useless and after pretty much ignoring it for a long time this review brought me back.

Big thanks to Blair for the review on gear. And much respect to the Ringside crew for coming on here with what seems to be some really high quality interaction. Seeing these posts has all but wrapped up the fact that my new gloves will be one of the Ringside models.

I buy a pair of gloves every year, last year I bought two: Raja and Top King. This year I have spent hours upon hours researching for some new gloves.

My question is what is the major difference between the new IMF sparring gloves and the Heritage sparring gloves. Just curious as to what makes these Heritage gloves (which look fantastic, by the way) $100 better than the new IMF gloves.

I do own a pair of the old Ringside IMF sparring gloves in 18oz with the velcro strap and sleeve, so I am pretty familiar with them.

I am shocked at all the good info about equipment on here. Sherdog had really become a place that I thought was useless and after pretty much ignoring it for a long time this review brought me back.

Big thanks to Blair for the review on gear. And much respect to the Ringside crew for coming on here with what seems to be some really high quality interaction. Seeing these posts has all but wrapped up the fact that my new gloves will be one of the Ringside models.

Wow thanks for such great feedback mate! I'm stoked you enjoyed it so much.

I (and all the reviewers here in G&E) do our best to write quality reviews that help people to choose the best gear for their training.

I've been really humbled by everyones positive comments!

For the record, I believe Ringside are pound for pound the best value equipment you can buy, and the customer service is great (as many have noted).

I buy a pair of gloves every year, last year I bought two: Raja and Top King. This year I have spent hours upon hours researching for some new gloves.

My question is what is the major difference between the new IMF sparring gloves and the Heritage sparring gloves. Just curious as to what makes these Heritage gloves (which look fantastic, by the way) $100 better than the new IMF gloves.

I do own a pair of the old Ringside IMF sparring gloves in 18oz with the velcro strap and sleeve, so I am pretty familiar with them.

I did a review on the heritage pro-fight mitts.

The main differences between the standard IMF to the Heritage IMF is quality control. They are built amazing well and you have to look hard to find imperfections.

Ringside Heritage is on pair with Grant and Reyes (i've never tried winning).

I did a review on the heritage pro-fight mitts.

The main differences between the standard IMF to the Heritage IMF is quality control. They are built amazing well and you have to look hard to find imperfections.

Ringside Heritage is on pair with Grant and Reyes (i've never tried winning).

Seems a little odd that there is a $100 difference in price for that alone. I am going to break down and get some higher end gloves, just not sure which ones. Heritage and Winning are my top 2 for sure.

roadwarrior357 -
I believe you would be happy with either Ringside model you purchase but here is a little more info on why the Heritage price difference. What nomilkforsanta said is correct. The other main difference is the leather used. All Heritage pieces use a different type of leather than any other brand of boxing equipment. The best leather quality comparison I have would be to put it up against a high end Rawlings baseball glove only not as thick. The color is dyed through the leather not painted like others. This process leaves and extremely soft supple finish to the leather shell that can't be matched by anyone. The leather requires conditioning so all heritage pieces come with a glove oil so you can take care of it like your favorite ball glove. When designing the Heritage line we didn't want to use anything but the best. We truly believe that any Heritage piece is unmatched in the boxing market. All that being said the best of the best doesn't come cheap and the reason for a higher price point.

Thanks,

Darrin Clauder

roadwarrior357 -
I believe you would be happy with either Ringside model you purchase but here is a little more info on why the Heritage price difference. What nomilkforsanta said is correct. The other main difference is the leather used. All Heritage pieces use a different type of leather than any other brand of boxing equipment. The best leather quality comparison I have would be to put it up against a high end Rawlings baseball glove only not as thick. The color is dyed through the leather not painted like others. This process leaves and extremely soft supple finish to the leather shell that can't be matched by anyone. The leather requires conditioning so all heritage pieces come with a glove oil so you can take care of it like your favorite ball glove. When designing the Heritage line we didn't want to use anything but the best. We truly believe that any Heritage piece is unmatched in the boxing market. All that being said the best of the best doesn't come cheap and the reason for a higher price point.

Thanks,

Darrin Clauder

Thanks Darrin, that is helpful. I have no problem with the price considering everything that I have read, and what you just explained. I see a lot of people talking about the price, but the fact is runners pay over $100 for a pair of good running shoes, and they replace them about every 6 months (or more often for some). It sounds like these gloves would last more than a year that is for sure. In my mind, that would make a great investment. Thanks again, I appreciate you guys at Ringside getting the information out.

Seems a little odd that there is a $100 difference in price for that alone. I am going to break down and get some higher end gloves, just not sure which ones. Heritage and Winning are my top 2 for sure.

One of the biggest things I like about the heritage gloves is they are true mirror images. Expect for these, all of the "top shelf gloves" I have used have always had major differences in feel and shape, most notably Cleto Reyes.

For example, my old Cleto Reyes looked like they were made by two different people...each working on a one of the glove.

Blair,

Have you had blood come into contact with the gloves?

Yes actually, from my training partners nose.

But I'd just oiled them the night before and as soon as I saw it I cleaned it off, let them dry overnight and I can't see it anymore now.

The minor sweat marks tend to fade away after oiling as well.

They are such a nice looking glove it's just not fair to leave them sitting around in a gym bag.

They are holding up brilliantly so far.

These gloves are freakin beautiful. Way outta my price range. I can always hope one day right? Excellent review.

For the record, I believe Ringside are pound for pound the best value equipment you can buy, and the customer service is great (as many have noted).

Couldn't agree more. I am a big fan of Ringside products and I have tried a bunch of stuff so far.

How do these gloves compare for MT sparring (including clinching w/ light knees) compared to the older IMFs?

I remember you saying that ringsides IMF's are more suited for boxing.

How do these gloves compare for MT sparring (including clinching w/ light knees) compared to the older IMFs?

Bump. Can you open your hand for clinching MT? Anyone?

Blair, how would you say they compare vs. Winning in protection, and vs. the regular IMF Techs?

Bump. Can you open your hand for clinching MT? Anyone?

Like with the other IMF gloves you can open your hand enough for reasonable dexterity whilst clinching after the break in period. They won't ever open up all the way like some gloves (like if you wanted to point your fingers to the ceiling and make a stop signal to catch a jab or collar tie an opponent).

Blair, how would you say they compare vs. Winning in protection, and vs. the regular IMF Techs?

Protection wise I'd say they are amongst the best gloves you can buy for any price. I believe the big difference in the new IMF foam versus the old IMF foam is that the new "top tier" foam feels slightly firmer and is designed to hold up better over time.

Which is pretty impressive because the original IMF foam literally lasts years in many cases and simply refuses to break down, it's great stuff.

The new gloves feel a little firmer to me padding wise, but it's hardly noticeable.

Hope this helps.

Hi Blair,

How are your heritage gloves holding up, I've had mine since December they still look great, great protection, really comfortable. Best glove I've personally owned.

I put some glove oil on last night back to as good as new, nice soft leather and clean up well. I'm sure yours have seen more use than mine

How are yours holding up?

Clarky.

Back