Prediction: GSP vs Lawler, December in Montreal or the MGM Grand

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
No, no source, just a strong hunch. I wonder why there's absolutely nothing aside from a TUF finale announced for events beyond mid-November. It seems to me that in the past they announced dates far more in advance than 3 months, didn't they? I think they are waiting until UFC 202 to make one of their patented Big Announcements.
{<buffer}Logical leap:
GSP needs 4 months of testing under his belt and it seems unlikely Robbie would want to wait for the winner of Wboy vs TWood to fight again so I think we will see a slew of new event announcements within the next 2 weeks. If any of them are in December in Canada I will be even more convinced, but if it's NYE it seems most likely to be at the MGM Grand like previous years. It may mean nothing, but Lawler fought on the NYE card there last year.

It seems to me like they are trying to group the Hendo vs Bisping, Wonderboy vs Woodley, and Lawler vs GSP fights all together so they can have lots of flexibility with subsequent matchups depending upon who wins. Expect to see Nick Diaz booked in for a fight sometime between early November and early January as well. I am guessing Rory MacDonald right now but that may be reaching a bit.

tl;dr
Don't take this too seriously if it all seems far fetched, but expect GSP's first opponent upon his return to be announced on or about Aug 20-27 and it seems to me like it will be Lawler.

I hope so Lawler deserves a big payday

This is a very interesting match up. GSP has fantastic take down instincts. Robbie's take down defense is near perfect. So the fight is compelling. But I never want to see Rush in the octagon again. Ever. Rush beats Lawler eight out of ten times. In my humble opinion. But for what? For who? He is one of the very few that got paid enough to retire in comfort. Remember, GSP fought when he was able to use his endorsements. Fighting paid the bills back then.

I couldn't imagine GSP opting to not face Lawler for almost 2 years, then finally deciding to once there's no belt to win.

if GSP comes back, his first fight is for the title.

So unless Lawlor regains the title in September, then maybe he can fight GSP before the end of the year.

So unless Lawlor regains the title in September, then maybe he can fight GSP before the end of the year.
I highly doubt GSP will fight Wonderboy.

woodley is easier, lawler has godlike sprawl and too much power

Why would GSP fight Lawler? He will fight for the title, or a superfight.
What does Lawler bring to the table?

GSP has nothing to gain by fighting Robbie now. Too dangerous of a matchup for virtually no pay off. Robbie just got KOd. Robbie vs Nick Diaz is the fight to make now. GSP should fight Anderson or for a title. Nothing else makes sense.

GSP has nothing to gain by fighting Robbie now. Too dangerous of a matchup for virtually no pay off. Robbie just got KOd. Robbie vs Nick Diaz is the fight to make now. GSP should fight Anderson or for a title. Nothing else makes sense.
Why would GSP fight Lawler? He will fight for the title, or a superfight.
What does Lawler bring to the table?

GSP wants nothing to do with Robbie.

Revenge for his fallen friend in Rory ????
I think so, to a degree anyway. Lawler was originally a Miletich product. I think there are definitely some deep feelings on both sides about how GSP destroyed Hughes in the second and 3rd fights. That's probably reason enough. Y'all can go suck a turnip if you think he's scared. As I explained in my OP, there are lots of reasons this matchup could be what the UFC wants. They apparently didn't want him in vs Woodley or Bisping since they went ahead and booked other opponents for them. I don't think there's any way GSP can be bothered to give a shit about Nick Diaz if we're talking about what any future fight will do for his legacy or pocket book.

Yup. No way GSP comes out of retirement to fight a contender. Why would he do that?

Typically UFC would announce a main and sometimes comain three months out. Pretty standard

Yup. No way GSP comes out of retirement to fight a contender. Why would he do that?
He could do a super fight... Fighting for the title doesn't make sense if this isn't long term but a one off deal. Just sayin

So title fight and then retire again? Anyone think he's coming back for good? I personally don't. Just a one off imo

Back