Preacher's Daughter back to her old tricks - wants out of CYBORG fight

This makes much more sense in a bubble, because they you'll have the additional marketing (as if she even needs it) of Ronda being a two-division champ. Problem is EVERYONE will then be clamoring for Ronda/Cyborg at 145. Only way Ronda does this IMO is if she retires immediately after. She DOES NOT want to fight Cyborg.
Well, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/holly-holms-coach-reveals-real-reason-for-not-fighting-cris-cyborg/

12_1200_675973093014210461482223563.618-640x336.jpg

saying ‘this is a business,’ White has pretty much snubbed the best female featherweight on the planet with no remorse. That being said, Cyborg openly admits she turned down the title fight, but only because she needed ‘more time’ to recover from her brutal weight cuts. Before we look at the Holm aspect of this story, let’s analyse the numbers behind Cyborg’s title fight notice.

Cyborg-Dana-White.jpg

Enough Time?

During a great breakdown of title fight notice by Bloody Elbow’s Michael Hutchinson, we learned that Cyborg’s notice of 60 days was well below the promotional average of 89.16 days, but not unheard of.

/

Having already squashed Ronda Rousey at UFC 193, the first to do so, ‘The Preacher’s Daughter’ would set another first with a win over Germaine Da Randamie. She’d be the first ever two-weight women’s champion, an achievement that could quite easily remain intact for a very long time. This huge task ahead is still being met with questions about why Holm has turned down fights with Cyborg in the past, and her coach Mike Winklejohn responded last night.

“Cyborg can’t make the normal 135-pound division. We said ‘OK, we’re willing to fight you at 138.’ I won’t lie, we probably would have gone to 139 with that. It didn’t make sense for Holly to go up and fight at a higher weight, of course not, why would I do that? Apparently (Cyborg) turned that down, then Dana came up with the 145-pound title, and Cyborg turned that down as well. Holly has never turned down a fight in her life. Fighting her t 135 would have been a smart move, 136 would have been a smart move. That’s where we’re at. If Ronda (Rousey) wins against Amanda Nunes, we will 100% do that fight (for 145 pound title).”

/

Speaking in May of this year, Holm openly admitted that she turned down a fight with Cris Cyborg. This came two months after she’d lost to Miesha Tate at UFC 196, handing her belt to ‘Cupcake’ in the process. Check out these quotes by Holm from MMAMania in May:

“I’m not even stuck on the 135 compared to 140, that’s not really a big thing for me. They did call me for the fight, that is definitely true. I was so focused and I really wanted to see if I was going to get that rematch for the belt because that is where my passion was really facing. And that was around the time they asked me for the fight with Cyborg and I was holding out to see if I could get the rematch. To me, I am not against fighting Cyborg, it just didn’t really seem like the right time.”

Without sounding accusatory, there seems to be a whole lot of reasons why Holm hasn’t been able to fight Cyborg in the past. Her coach just admitted that Cyborg was essentially too big, also claiming they’d fight her at 138 pounds, even though Holm herself said she’d face Justino at 140. What a mess this whole saga is turning out to be.

She said she's open to any fight. What she really means is if Ronda and her both win titles they'll rematch.

Also, Cyborg can go kick rocks. The bitch can't even make 145 lbs on 2 months notice. Why is she even fighting at 145 lbs. She needs to be fighting at 170 lbs.

It is strange to see her going to 145 right after she said she wouldn't fight Cyborg there.
Because now there is a division,and shes coming off two losses.

Also, Cyborg can go kick rocks. The bitch can't even make 145 lbs on 2 months notice. Why is she even fighting at 145 lbs. She needs to be fighting at 170 lbs.
I like the cut of this mans jib

I'm looking forward to Holm vs GDR, but I have to admit, I'm disappointed Cyborg won't be ready to fight for the inaugural FW title, given how historic an occasion it will be. Hopefully, she will be ready to smash whoever has the belt by spring/early summer, and fully secure her place as the Goat female fighter.

So the only person to have turned down fights is Cyborg, either because the weight was wrong or the timing was wrong, is that what's being said?

I feel she is being humble and focused. I like her and think she's got a good attitude towards the sport.

the Goat female fighter.
beating someone like Holm finally gives her a chance to even be considered for that. If she does that,we will see more fighters fight her,since she finally has a real name under he belt.

The UFC is in a weird spot right now when it comes to championships. We have this womens 145 pretender fight coming up, where no one could even argue that the winner is the best fighter in their weight class. We have 205, where the best fighter has lost two belts without ever being beaten for them. And does anyone even know who the champion at mens 145 is?

I guess my point is, you can't pin this on Holly. She probably genuinely doesn't know who the UFC would put against her next.

<mma4> Points made

So the only person to have turned down fights is Cyborg, either because the weight was wrong or the timing was wrong, is that what's being said?

Uncle Dana first demanded Cyborg come close to death and fight depleted to make 140, then demanded that she fight without a full camp and without having had time to recovered from that. She and her team have had enough and are now saying she will fight at 145 with a full camp or not at all. This is just the latest instance of shoddy treatment of Cyborg (and other Brazilians) by Dana / UFC.

Now the 145 belt is starting off kind of illiegitimate as Cyborg is not fighting for it, and both the girls that are are ducking her.

beating someone like Holm finally gives her a chance to even be considered for that. If she does that,we will see more fighters fight her,since she finally has a real name under he belt.
Cyborg is all ready in consideration for the goat title, winning a UFC title solidifies her legacy.

Cyborg is all ready in consideration for the goat title, winning a UFC title solidifies her legacy.
Not to me. After beating carano,and Coenen,nothing shes done is impressive at all. (are those wins that big of a deal considering how long ago that was?) Actually her loss to Baars was at least impressive,but she still lost. So,no.

Nah, rule here on Sherdog is if you ever pissed hot for roids, you can't be GOAT.

Hence Anderson Silva and Bones Jones can't be considered GOAT.

And neither can Cyborg.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/12/17/13991226/ufc-holly-holm-cyborg-145-pound-title-rousey-mma-news

498234866.0.jpeg

In an interview on The Luke Thomas Show, Holm wouldn’t confirm that she’d fight Cyborg next if she manages to win the title, even though Thomas directly asked her if she would:

"I know that's probably what they're leaning towards. She's definitely a very big 145er, and...I'm open to whatever fight. I'm always open to whatever challenge comes my way."

“I don't look too far ahead in the future. If you had asked me before my last fight, do I want to fight for the 145-pound title, I would have said I don't know, I have this fight in front of me. I only take it one fight at a time. That's the way I look into it. But I'm always open to whatever comes my way."

/

If I had just gone back-to-back losses for the first time in my career, including a striking clinic from a talented Muay Thai fighter that made me feel frightened and helpless, I wouldn't want any of Cyborg either. But that's not how this works, you say the name you take the fight, woman up Holly! I used to have so much respect for you.

She knows if she says she wants that fight, that automatically makes Cyborg the next fight. She knows that if Ronda wins, the UFC is going to make that rematch at 145, where Holly would be at an even bigger advantage. With 2 losses in a row and a dangerous fight coming up for the FW title, the last thing she wants to do is put Cyborg's name in people's mouths. But if that fight is the next logical fight... and not the Rousey rematch that they all desperately want, she'll sign.

Not to me. After beating carano,and Coenen,nothing shes done is impressive at all. (are those wins that big of a deal considering how long ago that was?) Actually her loss to Baars was at least impressive,but she still lost. So,no.
Those two wins, plus a ten year win streak of pure dominance put her in the conversation. Rousey, and Megumi are the only other fighters in consideration for the distinction.

Back