Pre Workout Options

BigIsland

White Belt
Reaction score
My gym has these intense circuit type training sessions @ 6am that i've been enjoying but i've been having trouble getting my preworkout nutrition situated properly.

workouts consists of 4 - 5 stations, 1 minute each then the same stations for 30 seconds each then a "rest" wich might be some jumping jacks / push ups or a quick run. then the cycle repeats again.

what would you reccomend for a preworkout meal?

i've tried fasting, couldnt finish the workout. felt weak.

tried eating @ 5am, but got sick(not enough time to digest?)

what would you guys reccomend?

if you cannot manage anything that is heavy in carbs i would try eating fruit for some good natural sugars.

whats a good time frame to do so?

i've heard some people say a fruit 10 - 15 min works , others say a regular meal 2 hours before and a shake 10 minutes before?

appreciate the feedback...just trying to figure it out!

btw, my primary goal is weight loss i have lost 20lbs in 2 months doing these training sessions just once a week with regular wokrouts for the rest of it. not trying to bulk up or fight just trying to lose weight..<<<if this info helps at all.

My gym has these intense circuit type training sessions @ 6am that i've been enjoying but i've been having trouble getting my preworkout nutrition situated properly.

workouts consists of 4 - 5 stations, 1 minute each then the same stations for 30 seconds each then a "rest" wich might be some jumping jacks / push ups or a quick run. then the cycle repeats again.

what would you reccomend for a preworkout meal?

tried eating @ 5am, but got sick(not enough time to digest?)

1 apple or bannana and a little whey protien(25g ish)

love eggs up your anus make you excited and give you a boost for long sessions

I would just try water as you have before but if you stick with it for a few days you will adapt and get use to it.

If not maybe something like whey+gatorade before would do the trick, just try a few things and see how they work for you.

whats the appropriate time frames to eat / drink these things?

whats the appropriate time frames to eat / drink these things?

whatever feels comfortable, if i eat anything earlier than 60 mins before training I will puke it up , usualy 90 mins feels about right, thats just me though , earlier the better , if you can handle 45 mins before workout i would stick with that .

if i have training @ 6.AM would it be okay to wake up @ 4:eek:o eat a small meal (oatmeal, fruit) then go back to sleep and then wake up and head straight to the gym?

cup of coffee with a lot of milk, banana, peach, b complex and a lot of water of course.
i have no scientific justification for this.
it

That's your body telling you you're low on sugars.

My earlies consisted of a small bowl of oatmeal with protein and sugar mixed in. I felt fine.

I tried having just a gatorade and still felt sick. I suppose I needed more substanance.

if i have training @ 6.AM would it be okay to wake up @ 4:eek:o eat a small meal (oatmeal, fruit) then go back to sleep and then wake up and head straight to the gym?

Yes. That would work. It would give you time to digest the food so you are good to go come training time

I'm in the same boat man. I wake up at 6am to train at 6:30, so I look for something that will do the job, as I normally train in the evenings and eat a well rounded meal with a good 90 minutes to digest.

I think you need protein and carb, but how you do it is up to you. Today at 6:10 I tried greek yogurt giving me some of both. I was dying after 2 rolls, but I think it's because I ate like shit yesterday and slept about 5 hours. Not to mention both rolls were with an animal. After nearly passing out, I rejoined an easier guy and was fine.

Last time I tried 2 bananas and did ok, but I had a small feeling of a possible puke coming.

I might think a protein bar giving about 15g, then maybe an orange or glass of grape juice or something might do the trick. I really think it's trial and error though as it will vary from person to person...some fully fast, and I couldn't do that.

I'm in the same boat man. I wake up at 6am to train at 6:30, so I look for something that will do the job, as I normally train in the evenings and eat a well rounded meal with a good 90 minutes to digest.

I think you need protein and carb, but how you do it is up to you. Today at 6:10 I tried greek yogurt giving me some of both. I was dying after 2 rolls, but I think it's because I ate like shit yesterday and slept about 5 hours. Not to mention both rolls were with an animal. After nearly passing out, I rejoined an easier guy and was fine.

Last time I tried 2 bananas and did ok, but I had a small feeling of a possible puke coming.

I might think a protein bar giving about 15g, then maybe an orange or glass of grape juice or something might do the trick. I really think it's trial and error though as it will vary from person to person...some fully fast, and I couldn't do that.

I'm another early workout guy. I lift in the mornings and played with a lot of stuff before I found something that worked. I take a 50g whey isolate shake and then have either a banana or some natty pb/handful of almonds. I have the shake measured out the night before so all I do is add water and I'm good to go. I wait about a half hour and then take my prewo supp and leave for the gym (about five min away) and train

Lowfat milk + whey protein + dextrose + oats + creatine + instant coffee/cocoa + shake/blend gives a good booost. Nothing really to digest as such, so shouldn't get sick but 15-20mins pre to let it start doing its magic.

shakes are my favorite for pre work out.... throw some peanut butter and oats in there if a regular shake doesnt sustain you.

you absorb it quick and the energy last through my workouts.

I did fine today with a 15g of protein balance bar and a single serving of OJ about 20 minutes before class started. I was good. Since it's just an open mat, I also found out that you can roll with that 100% guy right off the bat. I did that last time and once the round was up and I sat down the freakin room started spinning. Ease into the hard work, and ease out of it as well (don't just go 100% then go sit down as soon as you can). Seemed to work quite well for me today.

I've never had a problem getting through a heavy lifting session after a 30-36 hour fast...are you sure that's not just in your head?

Back