Pre-workout meal?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by jimmyzud0, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jimmyzud0

jimmyzud0 Green Belt

Guys, what to eat before a workout and how long before? I stumbled upon an article on T-Nation yesterday and it ruined everything I thought I knew about the subject, so I went on searching and found several articles that were basically contradicting each other, so now I don't know anymore. Some of they were saying that if you are to eat, it should be long before and slow digesting, so that your blood will be full of nutrients during the workout, but your insulin will be down, what will bring your GH up. Others were saying quiet the contrary, that you need your insulin high otherwise you're going to exercise with a nutrient rich blood, but without the insulin, those proteins would not be redirected to the muscle tissue. There were a few other theories, I just don't remember anymore. Can anyone shine a light on the subject? I'm leaving the articles.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/eat-for-anabolism-pre-post-workout-nutrition-for-muscle-growth.html

https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/post-workout-nutrition-is-dead

2. CPP

CPP Orange Belt

Don't overthink it.

I usually eat a banana.

3. Seriously-Dead

Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Ignore the articles, it's all pseudoscience crap anyway. Try out a few different meals and see what you like best. Use your own experience to guide your decisions.

Personally, I like coffee and some fruit.

4. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

IMO, I try to put a solid few hours between my meals and following workout - I avoid starchy and sugary foods before the session because the insulin crash makes me duller than a wooden butterknife. That's just my experience though.

5. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Experiment. Do what allows you to maximize the time you're in the gym.

6. Sarumyan

Sarumyan Green Belt

I like to train semi fasted, so I just make sure I don't eat anything 3-4 hours before gym.

7. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I'm training after dinner on workdays and after breakfast on weekends normally. The meals range greatly and I never notice a difference. Quantity of food matters a lot to me though. I lift like shit if I eat too much.

8. Tebowned

Tebowned Boise Dime.

I like eating a small meal 1 hour before.

9. Sarumyan

Sarumyan Green Belt

Just drinking coffee is enough usually.

10. jimmyzud0

jimmyzud0 Green Belt

I don't really feel any difference, so I'm willing to do whatever would help me pack some gains.

11. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

.... define whatever...

[​IMG]

12. closetfighter

closetfighter rollin' in the derp

Fucking this.

13. RafailNadull

RafailNadull Brown Belt

The only thing that matters is that you can train hard. You shouldn't lack energy because you didn't eat enough and you shouldn't feel bloated and uncomfortable because you've eaten too much. Both would prevent you from training at full intensity and that would affect your gains over time.

Everything else is irrelevant as far as pre work outs are concerned

14. sherdogcomfor

sherdogcomfor White Belt

I get up at 5AM and workout around 6 or so. My preworkout meal consists of 8 eggwhites, 2 whole eggs, coffee and water (no carbs). Then, PWO, I'll have more coffee and a protein bar (330 cals, 31g protein, 9 g fat, 31 g carbs).

15. HAWTRIDDUM

HAWTRIDDUM Gold Belt Platinum Member

About 1.5-2 hours pre workout on heavy lifting days I like to have a cup of white rice and about 1/4-1/2 pound of ground grass fed beef.

I've experimented with various supplements and foods pre workout and I've found I always feel strongest and able to push more weight with that combo.

16. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Well your first problem is believing something off T-Nation. It's not that they're inherently wrong, but they're just opinion articles.

Like most things nutrition, experiment a few different ways and see what gives you the most energy during gym time without putting you out of whack the rest of the day or outside your daily energy needs for goals. Whether that's a ban an right before, a meal 2 hours prior, or on an empty stomach with just a fresh cup of coffee as I like

17. jimmyzud0

jimmyzud0 Green Belt

Just the other guy, right now I usually eat 4 egg whits and 2 whole with about 150-200g of sweet potato 1 hour before hitting it. It's been working for me, so I think I'll stick with it.

Thanks for helping guys.

18. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

I usually eat whatever as long as its around 40-50g carbs. For the past 3 months its been 2 poptarts

19. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

How on earth are you guys able to eat before working out...

Usually eat 3-4 hours before getting my training on.

Anything less then that, stomach feels to full

20. blastar

blastar Orange Belt

Depends for what. For strength training I'd like to have something solid in me, but for muay thai training I don't want to have anything in my stomach at all preferably eating 3 or 4 hours beforehand or a modest meal 2 hours before. During Muay Thai training I just function on water, but for strength training you can easily drink a shake or whatever.