Pre-Post breakfast workout.

You should start a training log; the link for it is at the top of the strength and conditioning forum main page.

edit: and start squatting

You will feed guys here with your low numbers for laughs. Don't log.

mmashadow you shouldn't have an "arms" and "shoulders" day.
Im guessing by "Arms" you mean bicep curls, tricep extensions, and variations on those. "Shoulders"- lateral and front raises, maybe overhead dumbbell press, a bunch of machine lifts? For general fitness and athleticism you need to work on strength, not getting hypertrophied, inflamed biceps and triceps. A good way to build definite, objective strength is through press (overhead and bench), squat, and deadlift. Build your routine around those lifts, not individual body parts. Press, squat, and deadlift are not just "leg", "chest", or "shoulder" exercises, they are movements that you learn, that you can add resistance to in order to build strength, and those movements have a lot of carry over to other activities. You should use isolation movements to correct muscle imbalances that may arise while you're trying to improve the three main lifts.
For example if you work out with your current mentality and have a "legs" day, and you build up a strong machine leg press, hamstring curl, and leg extension, those movements can help increase the size and strength of your leg muscles, but those movements aren't going to help you much in a fight or in any other activity really. Having a good squat, press, and DL will help you pick up heavy shit, jump higher, sprint faster, punch, kick, sprawl, control your posture and your opponent on the ground, and a lot of other shit.
If you eventually want to dabble in MMA you should join a gym that offers submission grappling/wrestling, and some kind of competitive stand up art like boxing, kickboxing, or muay thai. Kempo karate is cool but has much different competitive matches than MMA and the carryover wont be great unless your kempo school is specifically targeting MMA competition.
On top of strength you have to work your conditioning/strength endurance, and cardio.
Not trying to shoot down anything you're doing- I just think running+kenpo+isolation lifts are not really good ways to train for MMA.

You will feed guys here with your low numbers for laughs. Don't log.

I've never seen someone made fun of here for being young and having low numbers. People get made fun of for being douche bags.

For the record, if I was 17 and on summer vacation, you bet your ass I'd be eating a gallon of ice cream every day.

Hmm I see your point.
But I do benches too, don't really use machines. And I squat normally with weights and bw, and not with machines. And what do you know about my mentality?
As for Kempo. After Summer I'm in my last year of high school, graduating year. I'm not a straight a student and I need my time. The only option I got is Kempo since that is in weekends. (parents wont allow MORE weektime activity in this last year of school)
And maybe it won't help with MMA a hundred percent. But it's a cool martial arts that'll teach techniques, discipline and balance. I think it would be good for me.
Thank's for letting me know though. I' just started this and will do this for another week and then we'll see.

Last edited:
Can you put down your entire routine? I can't figure out what you're doing, other than the morning cardio. Do you lift in a gym, or at home?

If I was in high school and was intersted in mma and couldn't train at an mma gym, I would go out for the wrestling team.

haha m8, im from holland:D We only have soccer teams...

Train at the gym.
Occasional pull ups at home + I got a muay thai /boxing bag. In between sizes.
Biceps/triceps.. everything 3x10
Bicep cable zig
Bicep curls
Hammer curls
Bicep Iso-horse curls..
Zig pull down cable
Vbar pull down,
Skull crushers
Tricep extension
Barbell extensions laying.

shoulders, all 3x10

Shoulder press (dumbells)
front raise
Side raise
barbell raise
bent over raise dumbells
front plate raise
barbell shrug front
barbell shrug back.

haha you idiot xD

its not really a school team. Only school has a sports ehm"line". For kids that play @ national team and/or at the regional team at the highest level. no way that i join that, dont even like soccer that much. So, that was a pretty unusable remark.

Hmm I see your point.
But I do benches too, don't really use machines. And I squat normally with weights and bw, and not with machines. And what do you know about my mentality?
As for Kempo. After Summer I'm in my last year of high school, graduating year. I'm not a straight a student and I need my time. The only option I got is Kempo since that is in weekends. (parents wont allow MORE weektime activity in this last year of school)
And maybe it won't help with MMA a hundred percent. But it's a cool martial arts that'll teach techniques, discipline and balance. I think it would be good for me.
Thank's for letting me know though. I' just started this and will do this for another week and then we'll see.

I guess mentality was the wrong word, maybe your "approach" to lifting/training would have been better wording. Of course I can only guess about your approach from the limited amount you wrote. When I was 17 I had separate days for separate body parts too, didn't get me anywhere.

Ok:) You saw my routines that I had so far haven't you?(if not go back a page:p)

Got some advice on lifting plans/ideas, since you said the seperate bodypart training didnt get you anywhere ? (don't tell me to go read the faq)

I was kidding about joining the soccer team, obviously.

Have you looked at Starting Strength?

haha m8, im from holland:D We only have soccer teams...

Train at the gym.
Occasional pull ups at home + I got a muay thai /boxing bag. In between sizes.
Biceps/triceps.. everything 3x10
Bicep cable zig
Bicep curls
Hammer curls
Bicep Iso-horse curls..
Zig pull down cable
Vbar pull down,
Skull crushers
Tricep extension
Barbell extensions laying.

shoulders, all 3x10

Shoulder press (dumbells)
front raise
Side raise
barbell raise
bent over raise dumbells
front plate raise
barbell shrug front
barbell shrug back.

This routine isn't going to get it done. To build strength, you need to be doing heavy, compound lifts: barbell squat, deadlift, bench press, military press. These types of lifts should be the focus of your routine. After that, you can throw in a set or two of curls or triceps work for shits and giggles. The FAQ has several routines, including the 5X5 and a 2-day split. Starting Strength is another time-tested routine for beginners. It's up to you whether you want to lift 2 or 3 times per week in addition to whatever conditioning you're doing, but, regardless, your weight training sessions should be built on and around squats, deadlifts, and presses.

something like this:

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Inverted Rows 3xF
Push-ups 3xF
Reverse Crunch 3x12

Workout B
squat 5x5
overhead press 5x5
deadlift 1x5
pull ups/chin ups 3 sets to failure
prone bridges 3x30s

Alternate those workouts on 3 non consecutive days each week, like monday, weds, friday.

all the info on the program, how to do the lifts, etc:
StrongLifts 5×5 Beginner Strength Training Program | StrongLifts.com

its basically starting strength

You can run on the same day after you lift, or on your rest days.

Back