Pre Brock and Conor, there was almost never any 1Mil+ PPV events

Ronda broke 1 million ppvs twice. Also 900k against worst wmma fighter ever - Bitch Correira

Boxing has been around for thousands of years (ie 700 BC as an Olympic sport). MMA has plateaud. In this day and age of ADD and 15 minute fads it won't get any more popular than you see it now.

Ali vs Foreman was BIG.

Just imagin Ali vs Foreman in this era (internet etc)?

PPV = 100m++

Overall PPV average for history of the UFC has got to be somewhere between 200-300K I would guess.

Chuck-Tito 2 did 929k. Averged around 500k

GSP's best headline was 950k against Diaz. Averaged 600k

Anderson best was against Weidman 2, but it also had Ronda on the card. 925 against Sonnen 2. Regularly did around 500-700k

Rampage vs Evans did 1.05 million. I think this was the first 1million plus event that wasn't UFC 100

Jones' best card was against DC the first time and it did 800k.

Conor's first PPV did 825k, then the Aldo match did 1.2 Million. 1.3 millon against Diaz 1 and 1.6 million against Diaz 2. 1.3 million against Alvarez. 2.4m against Khabib, but it was also post Floyd which was to be expected.

Brock did 1.1m against Randy. 1.6m against Mir. 1.1m against Carwin. 1.025m vs Cain. 780k against Reem and 1 million at UFC 200.

Ronda broke a million I think. Point is that other then the occasionall super-event, MMA is on average 500k-800K PPV buys at best.

Rousey broke a million twice and sold 900,000 once. It's pretty crazy that a chick was the biggest draw at one point in time.

Chuck Tito II did 1,050,000
Shamrock Ortiz II also did 775,000,
UFC 92 Griffin vs Evans did 1,000,000
Sonnen Silva II did 925,000
GSP Diaz did 950,000

Here are the numbers of every MMA PPV event from 2001-2019 via Dave Meltzer if you're interested.
http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

Last edited:
Ali vs Foreman was BIG.

Just imagin Ali vs Foreman in this era (internet etc)?

PPV = 100m++
Nah they'd be charging $100 and people would be streaming it for free. Also back then without social medias and stuff fighters seemed like mythical beings.. Different times man. I don't think it's fair to compare. You'd be more accurate comparing Wilder vs Fury which is the biggest fight recently and it did like 300k

Nah they'd be charging $100 and people would be streaming it for free. Also back then without social medias and stuff fighters seemed like mythical beings.. Different times man. I don't think it's fair to compare. You'd be more accurate comparing Wilder vs Fury which is the biggest fight recently and it did like 300k

Floyd vs Conor did 4-5 millions
Conor vs Khabib did 2-3 millions
GGG vs Canelo I & II did 1-2 millions

you really think that Ali vs Foreman would not make muuuuuuuch bigger numbers?

LOL

Tyson vs Spinks was BIG when it was only available to 5 million homes.

lol@Wilder vs Fury. More than 10 millions watched fury vs wilder illegaly. This fight was a lot bigger than people realize. Fury vs Wilder II = 1-2 millions+

Ali was much better than Fury & Wilder combined and his trashtalk was billion times better than Fury + Conors.

10M - 50M PPV with EZ.

lol@Wilder vs Fury. More than 10 millions watched fury vs wilder illegaly. This fight was a lot bigger than people realize. Fury vs Wilder II = 1-2 millions+

Exactly man. PPV numbers don't mean anything. If Fury vs Wilder had 300k buys but over 10M views, why do you not think the same thing is happening in MMA fights that get even more buys? UFC 235 650k buys, definitely would've had waaay more views than that.

IDK how many people are on sherdog but on reddit you got close to a million subscribers that are all watching it, yet it doesnt crack 1M buys. And that's just one website so you'd have to assume a large percentage of them are streaming

Plus you have to account for people that are fans of boxing AND MMA and are buying both.

Boxing is huge but I think the UFC will close the gap

Last edited:
Boxing has been around for thousands of years (ie 700 BC as an Olympic sport). MMA has plateaud. In this day and age of ADD and 15 minute fads it won't get any more popular than you see it now.

I think the UFC pretty much reached its commercial ceiling like 10 years ago tbh. Even 2015/2016 with regular Conor fights, Ronda still around and a big landmark card (200), it didnt really seem much bigger than it had been during the previous 2008-2010 peak, if at all.

Boxing has apparently been "dying" forever, the day never seems to come though.....

I think Brock vs Mir 1 and Brock vs Mir 2 proves u wrong as he showed a huge improvememt in BJJ and control.

selling the fight

I think the UFC pretty much reached its commercial ceiling like 10 years ago tbh. Even 2015/2016 with regular Conor fights, Ronda still around and a big landmark card (200), it didnt really seem much bigger than it had been during the previous 2008-2010 peak, if at all.

Boxing has apparently been "dying" forever, the day never seems to come though.....

boxing is dying since 1900 and money + popularity still good

goat combat sport

selling the fight

Ah IC. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I do recall.him.doing some promo videos and stuff but yes overall he doesn't like to be bothered.

People were just drawn to him thanks to his name in WWE and his freakish physique.

So you mean it’s almost like the sport got more popular with more mainstream attention?

giphy.gif

And Ronda came before McGregor and brought that mainstream attention.

Conor vs Khabib II would be huge, maybe we could see that one.

Jones vs Cormier II would be +1m but I don't think that's going to happen, however Lesnar vs Cormier would be +1m too and I think that one is going to happen soon.

I always wanted to see a super fight between Ronda Rousey vs Cris Cyborg, that could be a huge one, but it never happened :/

Chuck-Tito 2 did 929k. Averged around 500k

GSP's best headline was 950k against Diaz. Averaged 600k

Anderson best was against Weidman 2, but it also had Ronda on the card. 925 against Sonnen 2. Regularly did around 500-700k

Rampage vs Evans did 1.05 million. I think this was the first 1million plus event that wasn't UFC 100

Jones' best card was against DC the first time and it did 800k.

Conor's first PPV did 825k, then the Aldo match did 1.2 Million. 1.3 millon against Diaz 1 and 1.6 million against Diaz 2. 1.3 million against Alvarez. 2.4m against Khabib, but it was also post Floyd which was to be expected.

Brock did 1.1m against Randy. 1.6m against Mir. 1.1m against Carwin. 1.025m vs Cain. 780k against Reem and 1 million at UFC 200.

Ronda broke a million I think. Point is that other then the occasionall super-event, MMA is on average 500k-800K PPV buys at best.
Screenshot_20190311-111715.pngPPV GOAT!

Back