Pre Brock and Conor, there was almost never any 1Mil+ PPV events

UFC 2 sold 300k PPVs, back in 1994.

UFC is dying bro.

How much did it cost though? $14.95

hilarious NYtimes article from 1994

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/03/08/...t-s-just-14.95.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
For just $14.95! Yes, friends, beyond Wrestlemania! Beyond boxing! Beyond Tough Man (the amateur boxing event)! Pay-per-view (possible) death!

The Ultimate Fighting Championship pits 16 martial arts experts in areas from jujitsu and kung fu to wing chun and pentcak silat in a one-night tournament without rules, gloves, rounds, breaks or timeouts, where punches, kicks, elbows, and chokes are encouraged, and winners are decided by surrender, a doctor's diagnosis or death.

Boxing>>>>>>MMA for ppv

Boxing is buidling some good stars at the minute!

Also Maywaether and Pacquiao will fight this year and it will be the highest ppv in combat sports this year.

UFC just signed with ESPN dude, it's well and truly dead.
No one said its dead, its just its popularity has hit its peak, and the sport has stayed at a consistent state for 10 years.

ESPN deal is over rated. We get a handful of ESPN cards, cool that is actually a big deal, but the majority of them are on a paid streaming service with ESPN+. FS1, FX, were included in cable packages. They actually have less fights on TV then before. Getting tired of this shit.

No one said its dead, its just its popularity has hit its peak, and the sport has stayed at a consistent state for 10 years.

ESPN deal is over rated. We get a handful of ESPN cards, cool that is actually a big deal, but the majority of them are on a paid streaming service with ESPN+. FS1, FX, were included in cable packages. They actually have less fights on TV then before. Getting tired of this shit.

I think it's gonna grow more. These days any kid that is interested in combat turns to the UFC instead of boxing. That wasn't true 10-15 years ago. I think if it survives another 10-15 years when all these kids get older it will push another limit. Maybe it stays stagnate but I doubt it. Even today you're getting champs coming from new places. Fighters from China are breaking through, Africa, there is an Australian champ. New Zealanders are coming in.

I think PPV numbers arn't the best way to judge the growth because people just stream it for free now.

I think it's gonna grow more. These days any kid that is interested in combat turns to the UFC instead of boxing.
I think PPV numbers arn't the best way to judge the growth because people just stream it for free now.

Maybe in US.

I dont think you realize how popular boxing is worldwide.

Maybe in US.

I dont think you realize how popular boxing is worldwide.
No I understand, but for how long? People are getting pretty sick of the corrupt decisions and the fights people want to see arn't being made lately. Unless some new mega star comes I think the UFC will overtake boxing in the long run. We have to remember boxing has been around for over a 100 years? The base has been built. The UFC is practically brand new

No I understand, but for how long? People are getting pretty sick of the corrupt decisions and the fights people want to see arn't being made lately. Unless some new mega star comes I think the UFC will overtake boxing in the long run. We have to remember boxing has been around for over a 100 years? The base has been built. The UFC is practically brand new

UFC is getting as corrupt in match making

UFC is getting as corrupt in match making
I think some of the refs are corrupt too. Herb dean specifically. It's the fight business, shady shit is always gonna go down. I bet Dana White could have you swimming with the fishes in the blink of an eye if he wanted to lol

<21>

Will Vince end up having Conor, Ronda and Brock?

I think some of the refs are corrupt too. Herb dean specifically. It's the fight business, shady shit is always gonna go down. I bet Dana White could have you swimming with the fishes in the blink of an eye if he wanted to lol

UFC is one organisation, so it unliely gets as bad as boxing. However, if a few rival promotions get biiger, then the best will not fight the best and it will get even worse than boxing.

MMA is kind of popular where I am from, but no where near boxing.

Popularity + a lot of money = corruption. Thats nothing new.

Wrestling is older than boxing + ufc + reddit + sherdog + grandpa Cain combined, but its still not "popular".

UFC was lucky enough to emerge in the age of the internet.

The only sport boxing (or pretty much any other combat sport) should be afraid of is soccer.

Boxing has been around for thousands of years (ie 700 BC as an Olympic sport). MMA has plateaud. In this day and age of ADD and 15 minute fads it won't get any more popular than you see it now.

The entire globe was amped for Ali/Foreman..........let me know when any MMA fight comes even remotely close to garnering that kind of attention/hype.

Chuck-Tito 2 did 929k. Averged around 500k

GSP's best headline was 950k against Diaz. Averaged 600k

Anderson best was against Weidman 2, but it also had Ronda on the card. 925 against Sonnen 2. Regularly did around 500-700k

Rampage vs Evans did 1.05 million. I think this was the first 1million plus event that wasn't UFC 100

Jones' best card was against DC the first time and it did 800k.

Conor's first PPV did 825k, then the Aldo match did 1.2 Million. 1.3 millon against Diaz 1 and 1.6 million against Diaz 2. 1.3 million against Alvarez. 2.4m against Khabib, but it was also post Floyd which was to be expected.

Brock did 1.1m against Randy. 1.6m against Mir. 1.1m against Carwin. 1.025m vs Cain. 780k against Reem and 1 million at UFC 200.

Ronda broke a million I think. Point is that other then the occasionall super-event, MMA is on average 500k-800K PPV buys at best.

Your math is shit. What about MM events with 120k buys? The average isn’t 500-800k regardless of what type of average you are talking about.

Your math is shit. What about MM events with 120k buys? The average isn’t 500-800k regardless of what type of average you are talking about.

one sherdogger did all this work (4-7 months ago) and i believe the PPV average was 150.000 - 250.00?

im not 100% sure. maybe it was a bit more or less.

Back